Laptop wanted.

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m trying to assist my daughter to get a laptop. I’d like her to go for a Mac book air. She doesn’t want to spend €1200. She has always bought the cheapest she can get. Currently has a €200 Aldi special which is giving trouble. 64 gig drive is insufficient and she bought a external hd. Could someone advise me what would be a match for the Apple in terms of ram 8 gig ssd 256 the usual other bits camera WiFi and windows os. Light and thin with a good battery life. The range is bewildering. JJH

I asked the same question a while ago. I've spent a fortune on apple products and the aftercare has been great, but the failure of a macbook pro which turned it into a £1200 doorstop made me think again. I needed two laptops at the same time and bought two lenovo thinkpads for £300 each and TBH for schoolwork (ALevel), and all the social use for that age group they have both been impeccable. I also moved away to a Samsung phone for myself and starting to realise now that life can be just as good for less money. That being after at least 15 iphones, as many pads and half a dozen macboks (I have a large and expensive family). I still have several functioning macbooks but as they require replacement I will continue to buy windows stuff unless the price comes down considerably.

What is the actual budget? There's a big gap between her 200 and your 1200!

Decide the budget and then find out what model Lenovo you can buy at https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en then look to see if it meets the spec.

Looks like you will need the best part of 800 euro for the spec you seek. She may need to reduce her required spec if she wants to spend less e.g. compromise speed for storage by going for a spinning rust disk. All depends what she uses it for.

I've got a Lenovo S540 IdeaPad. Its got a 230Gb ssd and had 8Gb ram when I got it (now doubled) . Its got a Gen 10 i5 cpu which is faster than my old HP spectre which was an older gen 7? i7 CPU with SSD Hd.
No complaints so far its more than fast enough for the browsing vid watching put it too. I also had to use the lenovo warrenty as I accidently drop tested it and made the power port intermittent so the battery failed to charge, they sent a courier to pick it up and fixed it within a week or so returning via same courier, needed a new motherboard to sort . Think I paid about 600 from Costco.

Thanks for all the hints and suggestions. She got one today. ASus. Ticked all the requirements. Alleged 24 hour battery life. We will see. JJH

Back
Top Bottom