Clutch lever travel

Ditchdablade

Reaction score
I’ve a 2006 with 70k on it. The lever travel for clutch engagement is quite high indicating that the clutch is wore thin?? Good assumption? Yes/no

The clutch fluid is black and will be changed. The clutch works but I’m worried that it may not last that much longer.

I’m quite adept at engineering but clutch worries me in the amount off work. Is it huge?? Is it Hard to change? What special tools would I need? Clutch alignment tool? Is it a dogs dinner to change?

Any help and guidance is appreciated

Im in the process of removing the sub frame at the moment and have got as far as removing everything upto the reat suspension and swing arm.

The bit that is concerning me next is the throttle bodies.

Its been straight forward so far.

Big tip is to label all the plugs/connectors with tape and a labelling system. Im using letters of the alphabet.

I would think as it's hydraulic that the biting point shouldn't really change. Self adjusting ?
Anyway mine has done over 110.000 miles and still works fine.
If it ain't broke and all that. Try adjusting the span at the lever end to see if it helps.
From what I've seen its quite a job to do yourself, I don't think I'd have a go personally. And I don't mind doing some spannering. I've changed engines on my TL's before on my own etc.
Mine will need doing eventually but I'll be getting someone to do it for me.

If the clutch isn`t slipping I would not worry.
If really concerned remove the starter and you can see the plate to measure it.
First time I would allow a day to remove the clutch and another to reassemble.
If the clutch fluid is black I would change it, remember it is not brake fluid ( brake fluid will destroy the seals).

If the clutch isn`t slipping I would not worry.
If really concerned remove the starter and you can see the plate to measure it.
First time I would allow a day to remove the clutch and another to reassemble.
If the clutch fluid is black I would change it, remember it is not brake fluid ( brake fluid will destroy the seals).

My uncle got this 2006 GS with 97k miles on the clock. The brake fluid is black so we will address that. We'll just finish installing the set of tires and bilstein shocks on the pick up truck this week before we take a closer look at the bike. The previous owner mentioned he felt the clutch is slipping for a couple of times. We'll see.

My uncle got this 2006 GS with 97k miles on the clock. The brake fluid is black so we will address that.

The hydraulic fluid BMW use is very dark blue or dark green. The fluid they used pre 2006 was pink. Do not use dot 4 brake/clutch fluid in the 1200 clutch.

Hey Steptoe
Is there any need to replace the clutch fluid at a certain interval?

I've had my2006 GSA since 2008, it's not been changed since I've owned it. It's been black since I bought the bike.. almost 112.000 miles now.

I believe my clutch was changed at 5000 miles...............now on 154000 miles :rolleyes: (famous last words :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom