Zumo 595 Flags by the zillion ?

boatman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A wee query if anyone has had this issue ?
I am a novice with My route App .
Make a route select old garmin - and the route goes onto the zumo 660 fine with no apparent issues.
Make a route select new garmin and the route appears on the zumo 595 with such a huge number of flags that it is quite unusable .
Any pointers as to how to resolve this ?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll move this into another section.

The problem comes in that you are mixing two different softwares:

1. MyRoute to create a route

2. A Garmin device to display it

The MyRoute route is built up of hundreds or more little shaping points, which the Garmin software reads as ‘via points’, which it then represents as flags. Shaping points, it represents as little blue dots, which are much less unobtrusive.

Options are:

1. You can change them all from via points to shaping points, very quickly in BaseCamp or (maybe) more slowly from within the device itself.

2. You can maybe export the route from MyRoute as a track, import it into the Garmin device and from there, convert it into a route. That shouldn’t have any flags or even shaping points in it at all.

3. You can get to love BaseCamp, where none of this shite is necessary.

There are more but these three will get you started.

PS If selecting ‘Old Garmin’ (whatever that is) works, why not just use that?

PPS MyRoute has a very good ‘Help desk’, they should tell you how to fix their problem.

https://www.javawa.nl/rtwtool_en.htmlPlus, use JavaWa RTW tool to take the flags out. But as a point, most of the third-party route planning tools seem to use millions of via points which appear as flags on the Garmin device - I had the same problem with Viewranger and others. I'm back with Basecamp.

I’ll move this into another section.

The problem comes in that you are mixing two different softwares:

1. MyRoute to create a route

2. A Garmin device to display it

The MyRoute route is built up of hundreds or more little shaping points, which the Garmin software reads as ‘via points’, which it then represents as flags. Shaping points, it represents as little blue dots, which are much less unobtrusive.

Options are:

1. You can change them all from via points to shaping points, very quickly in BaseCamp or (maybe) more slowly from within the device itself.

2. You can maybe export the route from MyRoute as a track, import it into the Garmin device and from there, convert it into a route. That shouldn’t have any flags or even shaping points in it at all.

3. You can get to love BaseCamp, where none of this shite is necessary.

There are more but these three will get you started.

PS If selecting ‘Old Garmin’ (whatever that is) works, why not just use that?

PPS MyRoute has a very good ‘Help desk’, they should tell you how to fix their problem.

It only does it on the 595 zumo ,,,, it doesn’t seem to do it on the zumo 660 :nenau

I think that’s as the new units treat via points and waypoints differently, but just thinking, doesn’t MyRoute give the option to export as gpx 1 or gpx 1.1? I think one of these strips the flags out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, the new devices do treat things differently. My Nav V and VI operate very differently to my old Nav IV, 660 and earlier devices.

OP, try Berin’s suggestion of switching between version 1 and version 1.1. I looked at the MyRoute forum where some bod suggests that 1.1 sends more ‘stuff’ through. If the bod is right, it may well explain why you get the blue flags. Unfortunately, the increased ‘stuff’ is read by a modern Garmin device to mean that a simple shaping point (a blue dot) is a via point (a flag) and then displayed accordingly.

If the suggestion of switching between version 1 and version 1.1 works, then you have a solution. If it doesn’t, then try:

A. BaseCamp

Load BaseCamp onto your home computer.

Display the MyRoute route on it.

I am going from memory here and I use a Mac, but it’s something like..... ‘Route properties’ or ‘Get info’.... Highlight or select all the intermediate points (ie the points that are causing the flag problem) and change them into unannounced shaping points.

Send the route from your PC to your Garmin device.

Does that fix it?

B. Contact the MyRoute forum via their website. It is their software that is causing the problem, so they should hold the fix.

The simple truth is, if you can create a route in MyRoute, you can certainly create a route in BaseCamp. If you start to use BaseCamp, then the problem will go away. If nothing else, you’ll have removed the misfit between MyRoute and modern Garmin devices, caused by MyRoute. Why MyRoute do not fix the problem via an update, I have no idea. Instead, they rely on their users to fix it for themselves. Is Garmin perfect? No but they are pretty good at mending problems that appear. Sadly, the same does not apply to third party software providers, who proliferate on the net, coming and going with the regularity of the seasons. Their software might well be ‘biker friendly’ but sadly, like some bikers, they hide when there’s a problem to fix.

There are lots of users of MyRoute on this forum, many of them using modern Garmin devices. Logically, one or more of them will know the answer to your problem. Or maybe they all just live with it, as a trade off against not touching BaseCamp, as their mate has told them it’s shite?

Let us know how you get on, please. If you find an easy and reliable fix, tell us what it is; I’ll make it into a sticky.

Richard

PS I found this, which may help you with suggestion A, above: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=POYXggoD3p19jQOwZCvFA6 That shows the conversion of just one point but you have maybe hundreds. There will be a way to select multiple points and convert them all at once. The great thing is that you can’t break anything, so play about.

There are lots of users of MyRoute on this forum, many of them using modern Garmin devices. Logically, one or more of them will know the answer to your problem....

In the words of the immortal Delia, “Where are you? Come on, let’s be havin’ you....”

Back
Top Bottom