A video capable desktop or laptop

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
What is the easiest way to get a viable video editing computer.

I have a 9 year old I7 with 16GB and SSD plus a Geforce card, pretty sure it does not do anything....
To be honest it still works very well, but will struggle if I go 4K which it looks like I might have to for a job coming up.

What is a good value way to go. I have already for example a 24" HD Monitor, a Blue tooth keyboard and a mouse so I could just buy a desktop. Whatever it needs to be powerful enough to edit with Lightworks my film work.

Cheers for the replies

What is the easiest way to get a viable video editing computer.

I have a 9 year old I7 with 16GB and SSD plus a Geforce card, pretty sure it does not do anything....
To be honest it still works very well, but will struggle if I go 4K which it looks like I might have to for a job coming up.

What is a good value way to go. I have already for example a 24" HD Monitor, a Blue tooth keyboard and a mouse so I could just buy a desktop. Whatever it needs to be powerful enough to edit with Lightworks my film work.

Cheers for the replies

I bought an ASUS Viviobook with AMD Ryzen 5 processor fairly cheap (£350 ish) as something the kids could use for home schooling
It runs all my editing software primarily DaVinci resolve really well even rendering 4k, brilliant bit of kit for the money, not tried Lightworks on it yet

I bought the bits from Scan and built my own desktop for video editing. Ryzen 3700x cpu 32gb 3200mhz ram. Nvidia 2060gtx card 2 512gb NVMe drives one for win 10 and one for applications a 500gb ssd drive that I had for projects and a 4tb drive for archiving and two 4tb WD drives for external backup. (I already had one). That lot a case and motherboard cost around £1100 and I use two Ilyama 27 inch monitors for visuals and route sound too an old pioneer a400 amp and warfdale diamond9 speakers. I use Davinci Resolve and the big resource is used for rendering. 4K video and music renders at HQ at about 1/2 real time with the cpu running at 50 to 70% and the gpu pretty much flat out. 64GB ram might be a bit quicker and apparently the the new AMD threadripper chips are amazing.

I bought the bits from Scan and built my own desktop for video editing. Ryzen 3700x cpu 32gb 3200mhz ram. Nvidia 2060gtx card 2 512gb NVMe drives one for win 10 and one for applications a 500gb ssd drive that I had for projects and a 4tb drive for archiving and two 4tb WD drives for external backup. (I already had one). That lot a case and motherboard cost around £1100 and I use two Ilyama 27 inch monitors for visuals and route sound too an old pioneer a400 amp and warfdale diamond9 speakers. I use Davinci Resolve and the big resource is used for rendering. 4K video and music renders at HQ at about 1/2 real time with the cpu running at 50 to 70% and the gpu pretty much flat out. 64GB ram might be a bit quicker and apparently the the new AMD threadripper chips are amazing.

Thanks for that, yes indeed I started googling it today, might go that way, self build I mean. Again Thanks

If your budget will stretch to £200 or possibly £300 you could do worse than get a second hand IMac or MacBook Pro.
I’m still using my late 2015 IMac which works beautifully and flawlessly with 4K video in FCPX. I’ve had it from new but they average out at £200 when as old as mine.
Alternatively if you’re feeling flush I recently acquired a late 2011 13” MacBook Pro for £300 which performs just as well as my IMac.
The 4K footage is captured on either a DJI Mavic Air 2 drone, GoPro Hero 9, Drift Ghost 4K, Sony A9, DJI Osmo Pocket and so on. I’ve never had any issues.

However if you want to waste your money, you can always spend £1100 on something else but I’d rather use the spare cash and treat myself to a short break or something for the bike.

If your budget will stretch to £200 or possibly £300 you could do worse than get a second hand IMac or MacBook Pro.
I’m still using my late 2015 IMac which works beautifully and flawlessly with 4K video in FCPX. I’ve had it from new but they average out at £200 when as old as mine.
Alternatively if you’re feeling flush I recently acquired a late 2011 13” MacBook Pro for £300 which performs just as well as my IMac.
The 4K footage is captured on either a DJI Mavic Air 2 drone, GoPro Hero 9, Drift Ghost 4K, Sony A9, DJI Osmo Pocket and so on. I’ve never had any issues.

However if you want to waste your money, you can always spend £1100 on something else but I’d rather use the spare cash and treat myself to a short break or something for the bike.

Yes indeed nowt wrong with second hand, having said that I have had this laptop 9 years and would expect the same from my next one. I don't do Mac, so that will not happen, it is just such an overpowering system that takes control of what I want to do. Yes, I speak from having owned one in the past.

Thanks for your input though, I guess I could ultimately find a mac mini and just use it for video work....

Yes indeed nowt wrong with second hand, having said that I have had this laptop 9 years and would expect the same from my next one. I don't do Mac, so that will not happen, it is just such an overpowering system that takes control of what I want to do. Yes, I speak from having owned one in the past.

Thanks for your input though, I guess I could ultimately find a mac mini and just use it for video work....

The MacBook Pro I mentioned above is cheap and cheerful but practical. I bought it for the sole reason of putting captured video and photographs on it while away on trips rather than taking numerous memory cards with me. Then when I get home I simply transfer everything to my main MacBook Pro or the IMac on which I do the editing.

get an alienware gaming machine... that's rip through all that sort of stuff... proper bread aswell...

just check the software has not issues with it... and your away.. we use'em for high end presentations and stuff, they seem fine and you can reset the bios to trim'em up to overclock the chips....

that should void the warranty :)

or lease it if it's business thing then you don't have the issues and buy it after the lease it is up...

https://www.hardsoftcomputers.co.uk/devices-for-teams/
they do some pretty good deals and must be desperate to punt some gear out the door...

https://www.astringo.co.uk/shop/gam...mFvHoPHusB9Gj3qZzIwoSY78I4QzzsHMaAswdEALw_wcB

I would have already bought one, but my number one choice is unavailable. Plus apparently the ASUS Tuf series could have a cooling problem.

So thinking HP OMEN with a Ryzen 7 Processor and RTX2060 6GB or maybe a Lenovo Legion 5 with an I7 10th Generation and GTX1660 6GB....

Any comments????

I'd say they would more or less be similar performance wise. The RTX2060 is probably the better GPU for video editing. I would try to upgrade the ram to 32GB if possible. Though I'm not sure that lightworks is as ram hungry as Davinci Resolve. You are probably looking at connectivity as much as anything for the bits you will add on and the quality of the laptop screen! Though this becomes less of an issue if you add another screen.

I'd say they would more or less be similar performance wise. The RTX2060 is probably the better GPU for video editing. I would try to upgrade the ram to 32GB if possible. Though I'm not sure that lightworks is as ram hungry as Davinci Resolve. You are probably looking at connectivity as much as anything for the bits you will add on and the quality of the laptop screen! Though this becomes less of an issue if you add another screen.

Thanks for your input, indeed I would upgrade RAM to 32GB fairly quickly, and also I use an external monitor.

Bit late, not sure if it's been mentioned. But certain video editing software will use either the CPU heavily or GPU (graphics card) so have a look at what software you are going to use and base your spec on that.

Hope this helps.

Bit late, not sure if it's been mentioned. But certain video editing software will use either the CPU heavily or GPU (graphics card) so have a look at what software you are going to use and base your spec on that.

Hope this helps.

Yes indeed I read that and saw it. I am using Lightworks and I am not sure which way it trends, however I have ordered a new Laptop

HP OMEN with a Ryzen 7 processor and NVIDIA 2060 GPU, so I will soon find out how much better it is than my ageing 9 year old I7, with a GPU which never seems to do anything....

Ryzen are just as good as Intil these days - but for what you want the GPU will be doing the grunt work.
Decent GPUs are costing silly money at the moment as the Bitcoin miners are hoovering them up, and putting one in a 9yr old machine is lipstick on a pig.
Buying a complete new system would be the way to go, and the only way to get a sensibly priced GPU.

Personally, I would look for at least 8th or 9th Gen I7K (Coffee Lake).
At least 32GB of DDR4 RAM
A decent sized SSD (M.2 preferably)
Best GPU you can afford.

Have a look on 'overclockers' either for a video workstation or a gaming rig.
You're probably looking at close to £2k but it'll do you for another 9 years.

Edit:
Oops - juts noticed you've already ordered one.
Can I ask why a laptop? Do you need portability?

Ryzen are just as good as Intil these days - but for what you want the GPU will be doing the grunt work.
Decent GPUs are costing silly money at the moment as the Bitcoin miners are hoovering them up, and putting one in a 9yr old machine is lipstick on a pig.
Buying a complete new system would be the way to go, and the only way to get a sensibly priced GPU.

Personally, I would look for at least 8th or 9th Gen I7K (Coffee Lake).
At least 32GB of DDR4 RAM
A decent sized SSD (M.2 preferably)
Best GPU you can afford.

Have a look on 'overclockers' either for a video workstation or a gaming rig.
You're probably looking at close to £2k but it'll do you for another 9 years.

Edit:
Oops - juts noticed you've already ordered one.
Can I ask why a laptop? Do you need portability?

Yes indeed a laptop, just because indeed from time to time I travel with it and also it takes less space up in my office.

The Omen has arrived and it is very cool, and works 4K video and rendering five times quicker than my old yoke, so happy with that. Ordered a second M.2 SSD drive from Crucial too, but I can't see it making a difference.

Next Question:
The Omen has a M.2 1TB gig hard drive, I have just received a 512GB second drive, they are both the same speed read and write, I am thinking of cloning the new drive as my program drive and using the original for work files>>> Any thoughts? Good or Bad idea

Back
Top Bottom