New bike on its way

Why do you find it a nightmare? Works great for me in my car

I definitely don’t tailgate and I like to think I anticipate overtakes nice and early, but I find it always seems to start slowing you down just as you’re about to pull out to overtake or if it sees a car in the other lane in a bend.

If I’m using cruise control I want to maintain my speed, if there’s too much traffic to go at my own pace then I won’t be using cruise control anyway

I love normal cruise control on my car and my bike but hate the adaptive on my wife’s last two cars, I didn’t spec it on my car and would definitely not want it on a bike

Again, just my personal experience

I definitely don’t tailgate and I like to think I anticipate overtakes nice and early, but I find it always seems to start slowing you down just as you’re about to pull out to overtake or if it sees a car in the other lane in a bend.

If I’m using cruise control I want to maintain my speed, if there’s too much traffic to go at my own pace then I won’t be using cruise control anyway

I love normal cruise control on my car and my bike but hate the adaptive on my wife’s last two cars, I didn’t spec it on my car and would definitely not want it on a bike

Again, just my personal experience

Ahh yes, that can be a little annoying. I find it doesn't work as well in heavier traffic and is better on single lane roads where you can't pass.

I am also very tempted to buy a 2021 model but am holding out for the bigger TFT with built in Nav , as per new RT, to do away with the awful Nav 6.

Enjoy. I like a few features in this GS (indicators as running lights is one). The headlight and heated seat don’t really appeal although at the price of the heated seat option is probably worth having. I too will be looking more toward the adaptive cruise control (it’s the best feature on my car) and also any update to the TFT that does away with the awful Nav 6 and removes some complication with pairing connections. Ride safe anyhow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one. If the large side panels on the tank are matt you might want to consider putting some form of plastic protection on them as the ones on my TE Exclusive have marked in under 1000 miles if you're bothered about keeping it looking nice.

I'll keep a close eye on it, thanks

Whilst PPF on other parts of the bike can be a bit tricky if your not a professional or have had frequent shots at this sort of thing, putting PPF on the side of the tank could not be easier (and is the least noticable).

Very nice too.

I've just ordered a KTM 890 Adventure to cheer me up. KTM 790 Adventure going in part ex. I need smaller and lighter at my age. :D:D

I was thinking the same today.

Just took my 1250GSA outb -first ride since August 2020

I thought - God this is heavy

I try and avoid motorways as much as possible anyway and when I do use them they are normally fairly quiet as not in UK.
To be honest adaptive cruise is one of the last things I’d look for on a bike.Hiking bike prices past £20k to fit such shite makes older bikes look so much more appealing.
100% with you on that. I deem it failure if I’ve had to resort to a main road, never mind a motorway. I regularly ride through France and Spain (when we’re allowed) to my place in Malaga and/or my sisters in Catalunya and use secondary roads all the way.

Good luck, ride safe & enjoy

I use 'normal' cruise control in car and bike on empty roads. If it gets to the point where I might rely on adaptive cruise control, I turn it off and adjust the speed myself. I have driven cars with adaptive cruise control and found it interfered at unexpected times, like when I was moving lanes to pass the vehicle in front. Maybe it's something you get used to but I think it's encouraging lazy driving.

What I find cruise control most useful for is sticking to speed limits on empty roads (especially where there are average speed cameras involved).

The lighting pack is worth having, in my view. Whether or not it adds significantly to being seen is marginal and subjective but in my view it can't hurt. But the headlights staying completely level as you corner is a revelation (though a bit off-putting the first time you lean into a corner in the pitch black and the lights don't!). The rear indicators coming on as brake lights can mask the indicator though - I make a point on ensuring I indicate well ahead of braking point so any following traffic at least has a chance of seeing JUST the indicator for three or four flashes. Just as you should do, of course, though increasingly drivers and riders seem to think that indicating is something to do well after they've started braking and only just before they start start turning, if you're lucky.

Enjoy the new bike engineer
I bought the latest 1250 Rallye TE and now ive sorted the connection problems out for the music phone and sat nav O and replaced those bastard horrible Annakee Adventure tyres with a set of road5s the bike is now what it was supposed to be and Im loving riding it,300 mile trip tomorrow to see family
I had all the extras fitted from new, the heated seats are lovely and the adventure screen is a lot better, the multi function indicators are as bright as can be, but the light weight battery was a severe waste of money in my opinion !!

Im sure youll love it over the 1200

Rob

Hi, I'd be interested to know what total mileage you've done on the 5 previous GSs?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

As far as I can remember.....

First one 2005 was about 45,000
2010 model about 33,000
2013 model about about 30,000
2015 model about about 30,000
2018 model 22,600 - Covid and also ride my Thruxton R.

I use my bike as my main transport and ride all year round.

I use 'normal' cruise control in car and bike on empty roads. If it gets to the point where I might rely on adaptive cruise control, I turn it off and adjust the speed myself. I have driven cars with adaptive cruise control and found it interfered at unexpected times, like when I was moving lanes to pass the vehicle in front. Maybe it's something you get used to but I think it's encouraging lazy driving.

What I find cruise control most useful for is sticking to speed limits on empty roads (especially where there are average speed cameras involved).

The lighting pack is worth having, in my view. Whether or not it adds significantly to being seen is marginal and subjective but in my view it can't hurt. But the headlights staying completely level as you corner is a revelation (though a bit off-putting the first time you lean into a corner in the pitch black and the lights don't!). The rear indicators coming on as brake lights can mask the indicator though - I make a point on ensuring I indicate well ahead of braking point so any following traffic at least has a chance of seeing JUST the indicator for three or four flashes. Just as you should do, of course, though increasingly drivers and riders seem to think that indicating is something to do well after they've started braking and only just before they start start turning, if you're lucky.

I think some systems are better than others. The adaptive cruise in my V90 XC is fantastic, especially if Pilot Assist is engaged! Never had an issue with changing lanes. When you indicate it always you to pass, which is my book is good practice. The road sign speed limiter is also a great tool as its impossible to speed with it engaged. I disagree that it makes you lazy, it makes the journey more pleasant and you only use it when the circumstances and road conditions are right.
This can be overridden in emergencies if you use kickdown. Not sure I would want it on a bike, although I would like to ride one with it fitted to see how it feels. Definitely works better on an auto box where you don't have to worry about gears. Slow moving, stop-start traffic is where it really comes into its own.

As far as I can remember.....

First one 2005 was about 45,000
2010 model about 33,000
2013 model about about 30,000
2015 model about about 30,000
2018 model 22,600 - Covid and also ride my Thruxton R.

I use my bike as my main transport and ride all year round.

My first thought on reading that you'd had six new bikes since 2005 was 'depreciation..?'. But it looks like you're getting your moneys worth ...

My first thought on reading that you'd had six new bikes since 2005 was 'depreciation..?'. But it looks like you're getting your moneys worth ...

Picked it up today - dropped off my 2018 Rallye TE and an hour or so later rode away on a new 2021 R1250GS TE in white.

First impressions, Road mode suspension softer and plusher than the bike I dropped off and the engine seems much smoother and more refined.

Back
Top Bottom