KTM Warranty ?

Deleted account 220319001

Reaction score
Does anyone know the official situation with a bike while under warranty that hasn't been serviced by a KTM dealer ?

Not sure if I put that over correctly but anyway, I'm sure we've all heard folk saying it doesn't need to be serviced by the supplying dealer as long as it's been serviced by a VAT registered dealer or something along these lines.

However, I've also heard to keep your KTM in warranty is MUST be serviced by a KTM dealer and not just any vat registered dealer, so does anyone know the correct story ?

Before anyone says, call up your KTM dealer and ask them, well it's a bit obvious what their reply is going to be I suspect. :rolleyes:

As I understand it, Block Exemption only applies to passenger cars. I think you'd find it difficult to make a warranty claim if your bike hadn't been serviced by a KTM dealership.

As I understand it, Block Exemption only applies to passenger cars. I think you'd find it difficult to make a warranty claim if your bike hadn't been serviced by a KTM dealership.

Yep - that's how I understand it - No KTM service then no warranty unless you want to go down the sale of goods route ;)

My 790 isn't serviced by the supplying dealer and it keeps its warranty. I bought it from Fowler's of Bristol and get it serviced at Moto Corsa, which is closer and has a much, much shorter wait for workshop bookings. I'd have bought it from Moto Corsa had they been able to get an orange one for me.

I checked with both Fowler's and Moto Corsa to make sure the warranty was ok if I did this. Both are KTM dealers. There was no problem.

My 790 isn't serviced by the supplying dealer and it keeps its warranty. I bought it from Fowler's of Bristol and get it serviced at Moto Corsa, which is closer and has a much, much shorter wait for workshop bookings. I'd have bought it from Moto Corsa had they been able to get an orange one for me.

I checked with both Fowler's and Moto Corsa to make sure the warranty was ok if I did this. Both are KTM dealers. There was no problem.

that doesn't answer the question posed

that doesn't answer the question posed

Been answered twice - No KTM service history then no KTM Warranty, not necesarily you could not use the courts to force repairs, but for the sake of one service half way through the 2 year warranty period it seems to me not worth the savings.

harley tried that with a mate of mine and came very second in the arse kicking contest, it is easier to use ktm however so long as using oem parts then KTM are stuffed and have to honour the warrenty. The thing is how much are you prepared for the argument if they say no to start with.

The harley was 3k bill for complete engine rebuild after a bearing failed, and they calaimed that as it was a none franchised hd shop that did the service then he was not covered. A strongly worded letter from the Solicitor provided free of charge by the insuurance police and HD fell over and fixed it no problem

Think it depends on the dealer. I made a warranty claim on my 690. Was only given half of the claim as they said my bike had not had its annual service. Even after I pointed out it had been winter time and this was the first time I had used the bike and found the fault, KTM still wouldn’t budge.

Does anyone know the official situation with a bike while under warranty that hasn't been serviced by a KTM dealer ?

Not sure if I put that over correctly but anyway, I'm sure we've all heard folk saying it doesn't need to be serviced by the supplying dealer as long as it's been serviced by a VAT registered dealer or something along these lines.

However, I've also heard to keep your KTM in warranty is MUST be serviced by a KTM dealer and not just any vat registered dealer, so does anyone know the correct story ?

Before anyone says, call up your KTM dealer and ask them, well it's a bit obvious what their reply is going to be I suspect. :rolleyes:

Which service are you talking about?

If it's the (very important) 1st 600 mile service then I'd suggest you take it to a KTM dealer :comfort

Yes first 600 miler.

Take it to a dealer, especially for the first 600 miler. My experience with KTM has always been positive, the techs know their stuff, and you're not going to save that much by going non-dealer. If residual value is important to you in the future, a fully stamped KTM service book will add on ££'s when selling either privately or trade-in.

I always do the 600 miler and the follwing 2 annual services with franchised dealer, this is not a fortune and gets me beyond warranty with FDSH, handy if anything major conked out, and if just after the warranty expiry I would hope it might help with some goodwill.

Once a bike is approaching 3 years old I doubt any manufacturers would do much for you unless it was a recall issue, so at that point I tend to do most servicing myself and on Jap bikes have a trusted Indie I use for stuff I don't want to do myself, or cannot do myself, don't know of any KTM Indies around so likely to do a mix of home and dealer servicing if I ever keep a KTM much beyond 2 years.

The issue is that I bought it from a dealer almost 100 miles away although there is a local one only 20 miles away.

What concerns me is if I take it to the local one to get serviced then I have a warranty issue, who do I speak to about the warranty.

The local one might say, take it to where you bought it and they might say, take it to where you got it serviced.

The issue is that I bought it from a dealer almost 100 miles away although there is a local one only 20 miles away.

What concerns me is if I take it to the local one to get serviced then I have a warranty issue, who do I speak to about the warranty.

The local one might say, take it to where you bought it and they might say, take it to where you got it serviced.

Is a service due soon ?
If not, then I don’t think you need to worry about this as it’ll be the next owner’s problem !

Are we talking about Tam Drysdale vs. Saltire....? If so, I'd be taking it back to Saltire.

Take to to whichever KTM dealer you want to, to get it serviced - warranty work will be done by any KTM dealer irrelevant as to whether you bought it from them or had is serviced by them so long as it has a full KTM service history.

Take to to whichever KTM dealer you want to, to get it serviced - warranty work will be done by any KTM dealer irrelevant as to whether you bought it from them or had is serviced by them so long as it has a full KTM service history.

I think you're not understanding what I've said, either may tell me to take it to the other for the reasons I've said, I'm not saying it won't be covered under warranty but I know how dealers get huffy.

The law changed a while ago to protect owners from manufacturer monopoly, you do not need to get it serviced at a KTM dealer, just make sure that you use genuine OEM KTM parts and the correct oil. Keep your receipts and maybe photograph the parts before fitting to cover you. KTM will be breaking the law if they refuse to honour a warranty if the servicing has been carried out correctly by a non-KTM garage.

Check out the Honest John website, it is mainly for cars but the law is the same for cars and motorbikes.

When Covid kicked in last year I did an oil and filter change on my 1290 as a precaution, but when I eventually managed to book a service with the local KTM dealer they told me that I wouldn't get the service book stamped because I had done the oil change myself. There was no wiggle room on that as the decision had come from KTM UK. The dealer was sympathetic and also appreciated why I had done the oil change but the only way I got a stamp in the book was to have another oil change.

I know this doesn't answer your question but it does give you an idea of the mindset of KTM UK and how they might be if there was a subsequent warranty claim if the service had not been done by a KTM dealer.

Back
Top Bottom