R1100RT Starter motor current draw?

beemer pimp

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Dos anyone know starter motor current draw on healthy engine?
My on quick test shows 126Amp pick. And I think official starter Output 90 amp.
Anyone please.
Val

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

You could have slipped magnet or even the loose grease plate issue where it shorts to the front of the coils after it falls off

30 mins should give you an answer

Remember to disconnect battery Negative !!!

I actually had bake apart today, put johns chip in, so had amp clamp on starter positive, and it topped out at 198Apms Jesus, just thinking should I go for new starter motor?

By the way, there is couple cheap options on fleebay like around €40 from the Germany! Probably Chinese.... Any use?

By the way, there is couple cheap options on fleebay like around €40 from the Germany! Probably Chinese.... Any use?

You spends your money you takes your chance

Have a Look for HC Cargo starters I get them for the odd job still Much better than non branded Even having clips to spread the magnets and prevent them falling off

Beemer pimp
You are probably talking about alternator output.
A starter is completely another story.

Beemer pimp
You are probably talking about alternator output.
A starter is completely another story.
OK not 100%... But bear with me, 1.1 kw at 12v is 91amp so....current draw 91 amps? I'm just going by spec sheets for starter. But my starter consume 180+ amps on posetive wire at starter. Is that right way to measure?

Did you check how low the voltage drops when starting?
Is there a problem when starting? Low rpm or so?

Did you check how low the voltage drops when starting?
Is there a problem when starting? Low rpm or so?
Yeah mate. I used topdon 101, I think it only drops 11vdc, It's starts OK, anyway 2 batterys will handle, but when I had only one battery Motobatt, use to had problem with abs wouldn't set at start up.

ABS start problem is the first sign of a weak battery.

Sorry Pekka But you are wrong

ABS on start is the sign of dropping battery voltage ......

Which could easily be caused by Excess current being drawn, via the Magnets falling off or the grease plate sticking to the armature or even just the starter being full of clutch dust

So a starter service and a electrolyte level check would be first things to do before buying a new battery

I get that, I have 2 two batteries so total 440cca but still I don't think starter should draw 190 amp

I read that again? You have two batteries??

You had better Just stop Before you fry something! Seriously

Take the starter out and clean and check it its a one hour job

But Only separate the alloy nose cone and the steel front plate Leave the actual motor housing in one bit then you won't break the brush holder or the spring mounts Or wreck your Finger as it pings off and goes supersonic!

If the magnets are dislodged you will see by looking into the motor casing
If the grease plate is off you will know right away
And you can clean the pinion sprag and lightly lubricate it with 3 in one and also lube the nose bearing but not too much

Honestly If you are really getting that amperage Then you will fry the hall sensors if you keep on!

Thanks for all your replys.
Yeah 2 batterys same as police bikes, and yes batterys in good knick.. I agree that abs not getting set because of voltage drop.
Couple years back I had starter apart, I do it again and keep you posted. Its just pain in ass on the RT, fairings... Like million bots + crash bars, next time I buy GS

Thanks for all your replys.
Yeah 2 batterys same as police bikes, and yes batterys in good knick.. I agree that abs not getting set because of voltage drop.
Couple years back I had starter apart, I do it again and keep you posted. Its just pain in ass on the RT, fairings... Like million bots + crash bars, next time I buy GS

You could try to add extra Earths!! you can get corrosion at earth points which are also a Cnut to get at Just braid a three lengths of half decent wire together and fit them to the frame or Engine bolts

You can also use battery cable but its not as pretty :aidan

Back
Top Bottom