1250 GSA Silver Side Cheeks

Fullchat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to undertake the after winter lay up deep clean. I think you can add late autumn to that as well.
I found that both silver side cheeks had sustained damage from road debris, the offside one particularly so.

I recall the time very well when my dick of a mate decided to wheelie past on an MT10 riding in all the grit and crap that the onset of winter brings. I was peppered. Chips in the screen as well. :mad:

Anyway with the thought of repair has anyone replaced these silver plastic cheeks? What sort of price? Or had them painted?

Corrosion also found in the back paint around the centre stand and brake pedal. The paint covering is poor. Some rubbing down and smooth satin black Hammerite has repaired them and blended in well.

Regarding the silver side cheeks mine are also peppered on both sides although it doesn't bother me that much if i was going to do anything id probably get them vinyl wrapped in a colour of choice as the vinyl on its own offers a half decent protection.

All the centrestands are the same, think they all got a good coat of looking at...:blast

I’ve just painted mine with Matt black plastikote :thumb2

They came out really well and looks factory finish. I had some chips but you can’t see them at all now.

Jon

Roger that B&T. Looks good. Is that the stuff that peels off?

No that’s plastidip, I did one with that first but didn’t like the finish. Plastikote is very easy to apply and gives a fantastic finish. I think those cheeks should have been black anyway. I know you can buy them black but £250+

Hi,
Which Plastikote did you use ?
I just looked on the internet and there seems quite a few options in black.
Thanks for the help.

Like that look. Going to do on my 40th gsa

To save me googling - are the panels easy to remove for painting?

Barry

Like that look. Going to do on my 40th gsa

To save me googling - are the panels easy to remove for painting?

Barry

So the Right side can be removed in situ as you can access the hidden torx screw via the water top up panel. However, if you are not used to taking these apart I would suggest removing the side upper black panel that the cheek is fitted to.

If you go on youtube and search "a bike thing" he does a complete strip down bolt by bolt which will really help you.

You only need to remove the tank cover (easy) which gives you access to the top torx holding the panels on on both sides. The upper crash bars will need removing as well on both sides (two torx bolts each)

Plenty of you tube vids showing how to take the panels of :beerjug:

Jon

I copied you this week Jon with the same plastikote matt black paint... looks brill like yours...unfortunately my first ride out today with them got peppered and just shows the silver underneath like a machine gum attack :blast

Might have to go down the vinyl route :surrender

I copied you this week Jon with the same plastikote matt black paint... looks brill like yours...unfortunately my first ride out today with them got peppered and just shows the silver underneath like a machine gum attack :blast

Might have to go down the vinyl route :surrender

Oh really :blast that’s a shame. I was out on mine all day with some mates and not a mark at all. Maybe give it a couple of coats to build up the paint.

Shouldn’t be to hard to wrap, you’ll just need a heat gun to stretch it over the edges :beerjug:

It probably doesnt help that we ride like a pack of rabid dogs with stone dirt dust and shit going everywhere but hey ho...im going to leave the wrapping to someone capable as ill end up smashing something out of rage because im a oaf :blast

Glad yours is holding out because it looks smart :okay

I like the Plastikote paint. Looks like the factory ones. I got mine carbon dipped if that could be an option. I’ve done about 400 miles in the last couple of weeks and no chips yet.
c26150260a2af25ed564c9f00ed3f3a3.jpg

f6d78d504b480e593fe4d60c1ca55bb7.jpg

5ed66e93fe5b0d0af6b6fb33f5abd252.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom