iPad "Activation Lock"....???

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
While I was browsing on my iPad last night the screen went blank briefly and then the Apple logo came up. Eventually I might have tried to reboot the thing but I'm not sure if I managed that, anyway the screen now shows "Activation Lock" and needs me to enter my Apple ID and Password before I can use it again. There is an "Activation Help" for me to click on where it mentions the possibility of the previous owner using the Find my iPhone facility to link it to his Apple ID. I was given my iPad nine years ago as refurbished from Apple, and never had this trouble before.

Is it OK to just go ahead and enter the required ID and Password, or could it be a scam? Sorry, but to someone that knows so little about the wicked world it seems a reasonable question to ask.

Can anybody help please? :confused:

Last edited:
Yes it can be triggered. But it has to be associated to someone else's Apple ID.

You sure you didn't provide your Apple ID to some dodgy site in recent times?
Do you have another computer where you can check your Apple ID and associated devices?

Re “another device”- yes I’ve got my iPhone- I’m on that now, and that’s working fine. I also have a laptop at home running Windows 10.

Anyway, is it safe for me to just enter my Apple ID etc, am I just being a bit jumpy? Do I need to change my password or take any other precautions?

I'd generally said yes (especially because you said you restarted the iPad) but I've seen my parents being targeted by extremely good phishing lately and also it is complex to gauge your situation from a distance.

Go on your iPhone > Settings and tap on your name/surname at the top (that is your Apple ID).

It will show your Apple ID settings and, at the bottom of the list, your associated devices. Check that the iPad is in there.

Go on your iPhone > Settings and tap on your name/surname at the top (that is your Apple ID).

It will show your Apple ID settings and, at the bottom of the list, your associated devices. Check that the iPad is in there.

The iPad appears on the above list of devices on my Phone with the correct Serial number shown. I've got the password in my little red book, so am I good to go would you say? :)

If you’re not sure change your Apple ID password on your phone.
Then re sign in on the iPad using the new password.

Sorry for the late reply. I never tried this, but if you go on the iPad in your AppleID profile from the iPhone, there should be a "view on find my mac" text link. Get in there and see if it gives you any options to remove the lock.

Otherwise as Badboy says.

Sorry for the late reply. I never tried this, but if you go on the iPad in your AppleID profile from the iPhone, there should be a "view on find my mac" text link. Get in there and see if it gives you any options to remove the lock.

Otherwise as Badboy says.
No need at all to apologise for your late reply, and thank you for taking an interest. :) I entered the password and ID, it's up and running again and all seems well. :beerjug:

Oh dear, is there no end to this...

I'm about to change my password to the iPad from my iPhone, and it's now asking me "If you think someone else might know your password, you can force all devices and websites using your Apple ID to sign out" and there are two options, "Sign Out Other Devices" and "Do Not Sign Out". I don't know what to do, for one thing I don't know if I've got the same password for all devices, so if I go for the option of forcing them all to sign out will I be left high and dry from then on and unable to enter a new password- the thing is I'm scared of locking myself out and be unable to get back in. Any suggestions, anybody?

Oh dear, is there no end to this...

I'm about to change my password to the iPad from my iPhone, and it's now asking me "If you think someone else might know your password, you can force all devices and websites using your Apple ID to sign out" and there are two options, "Sign Out Other Devices" and "Do Not Sign Out". I don't know what to do, for one thing I don't know if I've got the same password for all devices, so if I go for the option of forcing them all to sign out will I be left high and dry from then on and unable to enter a new password- the thing is I'm scared of locking myself out and be unable to get back in. Any suggestions, anybody?

Hi John, don’t know if you’re still struggling here or not but I might be able to help. I’ve got iPhones, iPad etc and so have my kids so I’m reasonably familiar with the set up. Are you trying to change your Apple ID (the one that you use to download apps), or your passcode to access your device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi John, don’t know if you’re still struggling here or not but I might be able to help. I’ve got iPhones, iPad etc and so have my kids so I’m reasonably familiar with the set up. Are you trying to change your Apple ID (the one that you use to download apps), or your passcode to access your device?
Well that's very good of you, and welcome to the site. :thumb2

To be honest I don't remember what the heck I did, and therein lies the root of a lot of my computer problems, ie not remembering what I did last, or whether I did anything or even if I did it twice and forgot about it... I despair. Still, as things are at the moment I suppose I must have done something right because all seems well at the moment. And thanks again for your interest.
:beerjug:

Well that's very good of you, and welcome to the site. :thumb2

To be honest I don't remember what the heck I did, and therein lies the root of a lot of my computer problems, ie not remembering what I did last, or whether I did anything or even if I did it twice and forgot about it... I despair. Still, as things are at the moment I suppose I must have done something right because all seems well at the moment. And thanks again for your interest.
:beerjug:

I worries mate. Glad it’s sorted for you now anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom