New Forest & Dorset

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I will be attending the ‘Simply Porsche’ event at Beaulieu at the beginning of June and plan to stay in the area for a further 2 or 3 days after the event.

This is an area of England that I have never visited before, so I would welcome any suggestions for roads to drive or places to see

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
.......on the roads front every road in the forest is epic to drive just the 40 mph is a bit slow
You will be rewarded with great roads the very best road is Brockenhurst to burley nick name the 10 bends but you will find all roads are great in a sports car

Make your way across to Fordingbridge, pick up B3078 to Cranborne. Continue on B3081 across Cranborne Chase toward Shaftesbury, through Sixpenny Handley, Tollard Royal then on down Zig-Zag hill(VERY twisty).

Turn right at A30 towards Salisbury, stop on A30 at Fovant and admire the military badges carved into the chalk downs. Then Salisbury, then A30 to Stockbridge. On to King's Somborne, Romsey, Cadnam, Beaulieu.

Brockenhurst along this delightful road over the Common. Hang a left and see if you can get a coffee at Rhinefield House and wander round the grounds. Then continue on along the Ornamental Drive flanked by trees from all over the world, including magnificent Redwood Pines

Attachments

• 20F28A95-258E-4B6E-AD35-5EEB2D32E501.jpg
    20F28A95-258E-4B6E-AD35-5EEB2D32E501.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 275
Zig zag hill try it at 15 mph coming up as going down is easy

Infamous locally, but if you have been to the Alps or other mountain range, consider it only as a way to get to Compton Abbas Airfield cafe.

Infamous locally, but if you have been to the Alps or other mountain range, consider it only as a way to get to Compton Abbas Airfield cafe.
Ymfb I will have you know I do zig zag at 12.5 in my sleep (fuck the top bend is fucking steep)

Just because he has a Porsche dose not mean he is loaded the rhinefield is expensive why not the chewton glen in new milton only the rich and famous
Use it

I went to a stag do at Chewton Glen 30 years ago, It was the first hotel I’d been to where they cleaned you shoes

Ymfb I will have you know I do zig zag at 12.5 in my sleep (fuck the top bend is fucking steep)

It’s not very far from here, so done it many times, but I don’t look at my speedo so no idea if it’s 5 or 15 mph

Lepe is worth a look with some interesting ww2 history and a reasonable cafe overlooking the solent.

Christchurch quay is nice for a stroll as is Hengisbury head with a small ferry over to Mudeford.

You could of course pop down the road to the Sammy Miller Museum.

You could of course pop down the road to the Sammy Miller Museum.

Its a great museum and if Sammy is there I've found him very approachable and pleasant to talk to. Before Covid they were having a few bike meets at weekends, you could get a decent lunch so it’s a great destination.

Personally I prefer the Haynes museum to Beaulieu, but it’s a probably 90 minute drive away on the A303 south of Wincanton, so not New Forest of Dorset.

Decent Cafe in the courtyard at Sammy,s you don’t have to pay admission to use it.

Its a great museum and if Sammy is there I've found him very approachable and pleasant to talk to. Before Covid they were having a few bike meets at weekends, you could get a decent lunch so it’s a great destination.

Personally I prefer the Haynes museum to Beaulieu, but it’s a probably 90 minute drive away on the A303 south of Wincanton, so not New Forest of Dorset.

The Haynes Museum is great
Z867O5L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom