Garage Furniture Recommendations Wanted

trebor

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking to tidy up and refurb my garage and am looking for some good quality furniture to put in there.
I'm thinking good quality, metal furniture, but nothing too expensive like Dura (looks nice stuff but I'm not after bespoke!).

I need a workbench that I can mount a vice and hammer things on ;), plus a mixture of drawers for tools, cupboards with shelving, and possibly some open shelves.

Has anyone used Leeds based company Ikon, if so, what are they like?

Also, can anyone recommend push-bike storage so I can free up floor space when they are not in use?

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob,
Re cycle storage I’ve got one of these https://www.wiggle.co.uk/feedback-sports-velo-column-2-bike-storage-rack and also some wall mounted hooks https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Feedback-Sports-Velo-Hinge_77061.htm, which are great but with some of the mountain bikes the air has to be let out to get the wheel in.

They are both great and really depends on how much wall space you can afford to give up.

Thanks for the links, both solutions are the type of thing I could be looking for, resulting in them taking up much less floor space. :thumb

I recently went through the bike storage loop and found a couple of interesting things:

Clug - https://hornit.com/collections/clug

Pedal mounted on the wall - this looks great as you could stack a couple of bikes above each other. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Borgen-Bicycle-Pedal-Electric-Brackets/dp/B07D9QTXZC

I ended up modifying a kayak hoist to store a mountain bike in a triangular void high up in my garage. I needed to modify it as they are designed for flat ceilings.

For garage furniture I went with BigDug 400 racking to hold the plastic storage boxes I already have and I recommend ear plugs for you and an assistant as there's a lot of banging! One day I'll sort out some storage with doors though as it looks a lot neater.

I recently went through the bike storage loop and found a couple of interesting things:

Clug - https://hornit.com/collections/clug

Pedal mounted on the wall - this looks great as you could stack a couple of bikes above each other. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Borgen-Bicycle-Pedal-Electric-Brackets/dp/B07D9QTXZC

I ended up modifying a kayak hoist to store a mountain bike in a triangular void high up in my garage. I needed to modify it as they are designed for flat ceilings.

For garage furniture I went with BigDug 400 racking to hold the plastic storage boxes I already have and I recommend ear plugs for you and an assistant as there's a lot of banging! One day I'll sort out some storage with doors though as it looks a lot neater.

Thanks for the info.
I'm probably going to go for the Pedal mounted solution to store the two bikes one above the other on the wall.

I've also been looking at the BigDug solution, so far they seem to be the only one that can supply what I want at a reasonable price. I'm probably going to go for one of their workbenches with drawers and fit one of their vices to it, a 1780x900x450 cupboard, and a BigDug low level 8 storage box racking unit. The only problem is all the items/combinations I want, except for the cupboard, are out of stock at the moment. I'm just waiting to hear back what the lead times are.

Thanks for the info.
I've also been looking at the BigDug solution, so far they seem to be the only one that can supply what I want at a reasonable price. I'm probably going to go for one of their workbenches with drawers and fit one of their vices to it, a 1780x900x450 cupboard, and a BigDug low level 8 storage box racking unit. The only problem is all the items/combinations I want, except for the cupboard, are out of stock at the moment. I'm just waiting to hear back what the lead times are.

I'd recommend the weighted mallet that they sell if you don't have one - it's rubber with sand inside it to increase the clobber pressure and didn't mark the paint. Also carefully plan where your shelves are going to go before hand. My garage floor was covered in bits of blue and orange paint as the friction fit means that you take paint off when you fit the horizontals so you don't want to be moving the shelves up and down later as you will have marks on the uprights. I could have also done with an extra shelf if I'd planned before hand as the tall unit I got came with four but one is the bottom and one is the top so it's only two shelves in the middle which I hadn't fully thought through. To get the middle support in I had to use a small ratchet strap to straighten and pull things together but I was doing it on my own so couldn't twist, hold and bash at the same time.

I had a "free shelf upgrade" giving me white melamine shelves instead of naked chipboard so be careful you don't end up with some shelves of one kind and some of another if that matters and one of the melamine shelves BigDug sent me had a damaged corner. One email with a photo was all it took to get a replacement sent out within a couple of days.

I'd recommend the weighted mallet that they sell if you don't have one - it's rubber with sand inside it to increase the clobber pressure and didn't mark the paint. Also carefully plan where your shelves are going to go before hand. My garage floor was covered in bits of blue and orange paint as the friction fit means that you take paint off when you fit the horizontals so you don't want to be moving the shelves up and down later as you will have marks on the uprights. I could have also done with an extra shelf if I'd planned before hand as the tall unit I got came with four but one is the bottom and one is the top so it's only two shelves in the middle which I hadn't fully thought through. To get the middle support in I had to use a small ratchet strap to straighten and pull things together but I was doing it on my own so couldn't twist, hold and bash at the same time.

I had a "free shelf upgrade" giving me white melamine shelves instead of naked chipboard so be careful you don't end up with some shelves of one kind and some of another if that matters and one of the melamine shelves BigDug sent me had a damaged corner. One email with a photo was all it took to get a replacement sent out within a couple of days.

Thanks, all noted.
They don't know the lead times for the stuff that's out of stock, so I'll just have to be patient and wait for notification. There is quite a lot of stuff out of stock, must be due to either Brexit, COVID, or both.

Back
Top Bottom