Oil Light & Red warning Triangle

transalper44

Reaction score
Hi. Changed the oil and filter yesterday ready for the 1st ride today. Now the bike may be playing an April's joke me but I'm not seeing the funny side. After the oil change, started the engine to check for any leaks, all was good.

Today was the first ride since it was laid up for the winter to get it MOT'd, all well going but on the return after stopping for fuel, the the Red Triangle and the oil sign on the clock came on, on getting home which only a mile or so away, a check around the engine showed no signs of leaks. Later in the day, went for a ride of 60 odd miles and all was well, no warnings lights but near the end of the ride I stopped for ten minutes and low and behold, it came back on again !

Is it faulty sensor giving intermittent reading ? Correct amount of oil was replaced, 4 ltrs, filter and sump plug torqued correctly !

Your thoughts please,

Maybe faulty oil filter

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Level slightly low maybe?
There's oil pressure warning and a low level warning.

First things first

At rest, engine off - what does the oil level show in the sight glass? did you put enough in?

Also what oil did you put in?

They like a thick mineral oil, 20w/50 if i recall

I had similar on my 2006 hexhead, 10/40 on a hot day

My money is on a 10/40 and the ext temp being hot.

Didn't think of that, though never heard of one fail before..
I saw that on a suzuki and a land rover. It was ticking and oil check flashing.

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

I might be missing something here, but a red general warning and oil indicator doesn’t come up as a fault.

A flashing red general warning and oil indicator points to low oil pressure. Which could be something as simple as a dirty connector or faulty pressure switch. If you had a genuine low oil pressure, your engine would already be in pieces.

If it was a low oil level, you would just get the oil indicator light with no General warning.

But then you probably know all this anyway from your handbook....:nenau

Thanks all. Yes, proper BMW oil filter fitted, sight glass at the correct level, did the refill with 4 Ltrs Castrol Power1 10-40 4T. Used that on the last 4 oil changes without this problem arising. So, could be a faulty sensor, requested a slot at the dealers to investigate!

Next time put 15/50 in. It'll be better for it and save you a couple of quid. The last time I put power 1 Castrol 10/40 in, my bike sounded like a bag of spanners when it was really hot in Europe. 40°c + . It likes the 15/50.

Back
Top Bottom