R80G/S protection...

phil_h

Reaction score
So I've gone and bought a lovely super-clean machine and I now need to know the best things to protect it with when I go and get it dirty.
I'm talking crash bars and bash plates of course, not what type of wax polish.
I wont be getting it upside down like my 1250, but it will get taken along quite a few local green roads, eg west from claerwen, wbin, the begwns and other safe roads like that.
Please point me at the right crash bars and bash plate to fit, and advise anything else that I might be able to do to prevent stupid breakages. (I will be fitting cheap chinese swivel mirrors for example)

Attachments

• 20210401_160928.jpg
    20210401_160928.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 322
I'd see if you can get some engine crash bars from someone on here or try motorworks.

Also, I've got Barkbusters hand guards on mine as the originals are pretty useless if you drop the bike.

I'd see if you can get some engine crash bars from someone on here or try motorworks.

Also, I've got Barkbusters hand guards on mine as the originals are pretty useless if you drop the bike.

Yep, Barkbusters are on the way - got the same white ones on my other bikes. Found that the std guards on a 1250 do _not_ protect the levers :(

Barkbusters are a good idea but the heads take the brunt of most offs - I’ve never broken a lever or scratched a barkbuster in 30 years of trying!

I think Mikeyboy does a heavy duty bashplate and there are other options although most are engine, rather than frame, mounted

Phil

Just messaged you regarding the engine bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barkbusters are a good idea but the heads take the brunt of most offs - I’ve never broken a lever or scratched a barkbuster in 30 years of trying!

I think Mikeyboy does a heavy duty bashplate and there are other options although most are engine, rather than frame, mounted

You're right about the heads Barkbusters scratched too.

No engine guards on this bike because I'm hard core!!

(or stupid)

Attachments

• IMG_8825.jpg
    IMG_8825.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 265
That one looks more robust (thicker) than the standard peanut rocker cover. I’ve always preferred the later stronger ones.

You have a migsel stand,
So no need for standard engine bars,
You also have the later more crash resistant valve covers.
You admit to not going hard on the bike off road,I wouldn’t bother with engine bars,they just make it wider and more likely to clip a stump/rock or dig in.
In any case the standard bars will just bend anyway,
till they hit the valve cover in the event of a big hit.
If you’re that concerned carry some epoxy metal or a spare valve cover.(guarantee never needed if you carry it long enough):D

Edit,as said above,
Some decent brush guards or bark busters,
A very light drop can spoil the day if you break a lever.
Consider some spare ones in the tool kit as well.

Double edit.
Cable ties and gaffa tape.
That sums up fixing an airhead:p

You have a migsel stand,
So no need for standard engine bars,
You also have the later more crash resistant valve covers.
You admit to not going hard on the bike off road,I wouldn’t bother with engine bars,they just make it wider and more likely to clip a stump/rock or dig in.
In any case the standard bars will just bend anyway,
till they hit the valve cover in the event of a big hit.
If you’re that concerned carry some epoxy metal or a spare valve cover.(guarantee never needed if you carry it long enough):D

Edit,as said above,
Some decent brush guards or bark busters,
A very light drop can spoil the day if you break a lever.
Consider some spare ones in the tool kit as well.

Double edit.
Cable ties and gaffa tape.
That sums up fixing an airhead:p

I don’t have engine bars or a centrestand, mostly to save weight. I carry wire grill and epoxy to repair the rocker covers but as yet not used. In my experience you need to try quite hard to break a lever but we carried spares all the way to Cape Town and still have them now.

**We kept the engine bars for our African travels as they were quite useful for mounting water tanks.

The old and the new, with scars

Attachments

• 20210402_131745 clip.jpg
    20210402_131745 clip.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 20210402_131807 clip.jpg
    20210402_131807 clip.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 247
Which sump guard ?
ENA42295.jpg

ENR15345.jpg

I don’t think motoworks do the large sump guard anymore but BMW Bayer does under the GS rather than g/s section.

Gary at BAMW in Derby does a nice sump guard, reasonably priced too.,

Gary at BAMW in Derby does a nice sump guard, reasonably priced too.,

Sadly not any more, I tried the other day and he has severely limited his parts section to focus on restorations only.

Back
Top Bottom