BT Cloud AND OneDrive on same computer

andysdad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK - I've had BT Cloud for years (1TB), so all my files are sync'ed there. The BT Cloud sync folder contains my data folders (Root\BTCloud\My folders).

I've now got OneDrive also and I want the same files sync'ed in both clouds.

I think the solution is to add a folder to the existing BT Cloud sync folder, called OneDrive, initially alongside my existing stuff. Then move all the existing folders downwards into the OneDrive folder.

The file tree would then be Root\BTCloud\OneDrive\My folders.

It adds a click to access my folders (open BTCloud, then open OneDrive sub-folder, then see My folders) but at least both BT Cloud and OneDrive will see "My folders" and sync them.

Or have I created an endless loop backup monster?

I'm on a Mac but I don't think that affects the folder management.

Opinions gratefully received before I try it!

A

Cyber - thanks for the offer but mirroring my files would exceed the 1TB drive in my Mac.

I tried Googling this but maybe I used the wrong terms as I found no answer. Surely this isn’t such a rare situation?

A

No worries...
Not really sure what you are trying to achieve then.

Your BT Cloud files are all available ‘local’?
Your OneDrive files are all available on ‘local’?

You want the files to all appear on local, BT and OneDrive?

And all have the same content?

Cyber, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I want my files on my computer to be synced in two different clouds. Same files but in 2 different places (3 including the originals on the computer).

I’m old skool, my computer is where I keep stuff, the clouds are backups not the main location. I realise the modern way is to keep the main copy in the cloud and work on it there.

Hope that makes sense.

A

Ok.. Gotcha.

Not used BT Cloud, does it simply add a folder which you select which folders are sync’d, in the same way as OneDrive does?
Unfortunately no API available.

Cyber - thanks again.

Yes, BT Cloud has a single folder (I think it must be called BT Cloud and must be at root level (C:/BTCloud) - or am I wrong?) as does OneDrive.

Not sure what an API does....is the applet that controls cloud sync?

Hence my cunning plan to embed one in the other so both contain all my files. Albeit the upper level (BT Cloud) will enclose the lower level (OneDrive).

I may just try it - what could possibly go wrong with 400GB of data?

Well I tried to put the data files inside the OneDrive folder inside the BTCloud folder. I moved my files from C:/BTCloud down a level to C:/BTCloud/OneDrive.

Massive loops of data flying around - it doesn't work. Not sure why but I suspect OneDrive wants to be a Root level too (C:/OneDrive rather than "under" BTCloud). BTCloud kept trying to download back in the C:/BTCloud folder so I had two copies locally - filled the 1TB disk in short order.....I think that messed things up too (full HDD)

I tried to remove the Cloud copy but Sync did not work for OneDrive or BTCLoud - I think, I got confused by it all!

Still cannot find a reasonable entry on Google about this - lots about business multi-cloud but clearly what I am doing is a non-starter/difficult/impossible.

Hope this helps someone - or they can help me if you've solved it!

I still think this should be a common request - sync'ed copies in two places rather than just one - but I suspect each Cloud service wants to be "top dog" on my computer.

My next step is to use one Cloud as Backup rather than Sync - so at least I have redundancy.

Bump - I'm still fighting a lone battle.

It seems not a single person on Earth has ever tried to have their PC (Mac) syncing with more than one Cloud. Googling "BT Cloud and OneDrive on same computer" gets no hits with an answer.

There is a Multicloud app, but I don't think this should be THAT difficult to set-up. See above - BTCloud and OneDrive both seem to want to be a Root directory.

Anyone got any new ideas?

Thanks,

A

I still don't get why you need 2 clouds and a local copy? At some point the synch process will fall over and then you won't be sure which one has the latest of all files. Maybe once a month back up the whole shebang to Icloud, but leave the daily schedule to BT?

I get 1TB from BT and also 1TB via OneDrive (Microsoft Office PAYG); it seems logical to use both.

Surely multiple copies are better than one? I realise it is not a Backup, but Clouds are for saving your stuff "as you go" rather than once a week.

I just do not see why C/BTCloud/OneDrive doesn't work - if all the files are in that folder, BT won't sync them. But it will sync other folders in C/BTCLoud. Looks like they block OneDrive naming. OneDrive happily syncs even though it is not at Root level.

Another reason would be migrating - I hope to leave BT one day but having had them for 20 years, my email address is an integral part of my online ID. BT charges you £7.50 a month to keep the address if you move your broadband away (anti-competitive if you ask me, other providers don't give a toss).

Thanks for the input adventuredon.

A

I get 1TB from BT and also 1TB via OneDrive (Microsoft Office PAYG); it seems logical to use both.

Surely multiple copies are better than one? I realise it is not a Backup, but Clouds are for saving your stuff "as you go" rather than once a week.

I just do not see why C/BTCloud/OneDrive doesn't work - if all the files are in that folder, BT won't sync them. But it will sync other folders in C/BTCLoud. Looks like they block OneDrive naming. OneDrive happily syncs even though it is not at Root level.

Another reason would be migrating - I hope to leave BT one day but having had them for 20 years, my email address is an integral part of my online ID. BT charges you £7.50 a month to keep the address if you move your broadband away (anti-competitive if you ask me, other providers don't give a toss).

A

The only trouble with this method is accidentally deleting a file, or corruption.

You delete a file locally by mistake and poof it’s gone from both servers as they are in sync.
Same as a corrupt file, it will sync the corrupt file to the servers.

A

OK, why not try renaming the One Drive folder on this path C/BTCloud/OneDrive. What happens?
2) can you make a secondary folder on root and try synch that?
One drive might want you to be logged out of BT?
How about synching all to BT Cloud then synching BT cloud to One Drive or vice versa? As opposed to trying to synch the root folder up to 2 different clouds simultaneously?

Revisiting this -

Adveturedon - I took you advice and located the OneDrive folder within the BTCloud folder; OneDrive syncs fine but not BTCloud!

I opened BTCloud Dashboard and I deselected all the folders in C/BTCloud except the OneDrive subfolder (which contains a second set of all the BTCloud folders).

In Dashboard I opened C/BTCLoud/OneDrive, but not all of the subfolders were visible. Only the ones that i had used recently, so I ticked those.

So I have double-cloud mirroring now, but not of all the subfolders!

I can't make BTCloud Dashboard show more that the few folders it shows.

Any ideas? (I have posted this question on the BTCloud Community but no answers yet....)

Thank all as ever

Back
Top Bottom