Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

Yet Wapping can comment and that’s fine.
Like I said, Timolgra has been to Iceland many many times.
Why not just ask him what you need ?
On here you’ll get everything from a £10 Lidl tent to a £700 Hilleberg.
Or is Udders your username because you need to milk everything ?
At least what he replied ( in his usual sarcastic way ) had some element of help about it. What you post is just fucking nasty and totally uncalled for. There’s no help whatsoever in calling someone “ a needy twat “ when he’s trying to gather some useful info on what people recommend / use when they’ve actually been there and experienced the conditions for themselves is there? It just shows you up for the obnoxious c#nt you are.
Doing a search on google won’t answer how certain tents performed in those conditions. Yes, it can tell me the sizes, weights and pack size but not if they were any good or not. I’d rather hear it good or bad on what actually worked or not. Then I can either go with one I already have or get a better, more suitable one.
Like I’ve said before, I’ve not been there and yes, I’m looking forward to going somewhere I’ve always wanted to go to. What the fuck has it got to do with you? Fuck all if you’re not going to make a positive contribution. I’m certainly not going to let some c#nt ruin my trip before I’ve even gone anywhere.

“Or is Udders your username because you need to milk everything ?”

Jesus Udders, even you must be smiling to yourself at that reply ��

No, not really. Just another example of the fact he can’t grasp the fact that someone clearly doesn’t know as much as he obviously does and has to ask others advice. He may think he’s being funny but he just comes over as being a c#nt.
If he actually comes out with some useful advice I’d more than happily hear it but to just keep chirping in with nasty abusive comments well that’s simply not needed.

If you want bomb proof, I'd go Hilleberg Tarra, after my Vaude finally died on me in New Zealand I went for this on the advice on here and it's been a great tent, apart from zips being temperamental at times. Nothing better than waiting out a storm or a bit of wind in a trusty tent where the poles are not going to snap. A Tesco tent can also do the job, it's all about where you pitch.

There's also a link to inside of the tent, if you click on the John RTW bit.
Blimey, my two tunnel tents wouldn’t last long in that breeze. :eek:
That’s why I’m looking for the right tent for the job.
Ta. :thumb2

Well in your search if you fancy a Hillyberg Akto with footprint, I have one that has only been used for 5 nights in its life, so as new. I can't see me camping in the near future, so may part with it :)

Nice tent but way too small for me. Thanks anyway. :thumb2

I too have a khyam biker plus. As you said it's too big for this kind of trip. Not a lot of fun to put up if windy. I also have khyam igloo. It was great last year in Iceland. Goes up in literally a couple of minutes. It can with stand windy conditions without the guy ropes pitched. Pitch them when it's really windy to make it even more sturdy. It's not too tall so sitting in a chair inside isn't possible. But I didn't need to last year tbh.
I've had this tent for about 20 years now I think and it's still great. I use an extra ground sheet under the inner tent base mostly to keep it clean and it's not too waterproof in the base anymore. Plenty of room inside for all your gear too as well as a decent airbed.

https://khyam.co.uk/collections/quick-erect-tents/products/2020-igloo-fast-pitch-tent
Added a link to the latest igloo. Mine being a little older has the longer porch at both ends which the new one doesn't. It does still have an entrance either end though. So if you park your boots in the porch you won't need to climb over them to get out for a piss in the middle of the night.
Actually the rear opening looks to be quite roomy and a little taller than the front one so could be useful. Btw I'm also 6'4" and 16 stone and manage well in it.

I too have a khyam biker plus. As you said it's too big for this kind of trip. Not a lot of fun to put up if windy. I also have khyam igloo. It was great last year in Iceland. Goes up in literally a couple of minutes. It can with stand windy conditions without the guy ropes pitched. Pitch them when it's really windy to make it even more sturdy. It's not too tall so sitting in a chair inside isn't possible. But I didn't need to last year tbh.
I've had this tent for about 20 years now I think and it's still great. I use an extra ground sheet under the inner tent base mostly to keep it clean and it's not too waterproof in the base anymore. Plenty of room inside for all your gear too as well as a decent airbed.

https://khyam.co.uk/collections/quick-erect-tents/products/2020-igloo-fast-pitch-tent
Added a link to the latest igloo. Mine being a little older has the longer porch at both ends which the new one doesn't. It does still have an entrance either end though. So if you park your boots in the porch you won't need to climb over them to get out for a piss in the middle of the night.
Actually the rear opening looks to be quite roomy and a little taller than the front one so could be useful. Btw I'm also 6'4" and 16 stone and manage well in it.

Ok, great thanks. I thought Kyham went tits up last year? :nenau
Obviously not.

No, not really. Just another example of the fact he can’t grasp the fact that someone clearly doesn’t know as much as he obviously does and has to ask others advice. He may think he’s being funny but he just comes over as being a c#nt.
If he actually comes out with some useful advice I’d more than happily hear it but to just keep chirping in with nasty abusive comments well that’s simply not needed.

Just ignore him if it's getting to you. He frequently has a dig at people with his hey "whoever" threads. Or his slaaaayer threads. Don't worry about it. It's just his way.

You'll love iceland. I did so I'm hoping we get to go back this year, might even go again after this year. Another tip, I thought as the weather was forecast to be 10+°C I took a lighter sleeping bag and left my liner at home too. Don't scrimp on your bag. I shall be taking my Norwegian army bag this year.
Just ask any questions and I'm sure you'll get an answer.

Just ignore him if it's getting to you. He frequently has a dig at people with his hey "whoever" threads. Or his slaaaayer threads. Don't worry about it. It's just his way.

You'll love iceland. I did so I'm hoping we get to go back this year, might even go again after this year. Another tip, I thought as the weather was forecast to be 10+°C I took a lighter sleeping bag and left my liner at home too. Don't scrimp on your bag. I shall be taking my Norwegian army bag this year.
Just ask any questions and I'm sure you'll get an answer.
Cheers. Will do. :thumb2

I had a Vango Omega 250 tent which I took to Iceland and it was great.

I've since graduate to a Nammatj 2GT which I've taken to Iceland a couple of times and it was even better than the Vango. Very much a case of you get what you pay for.

Hillberg anjan gt just bought one as my 10 year old tadpole has served well but read everything and every time hillberg comes out on top
Very light and easy assemble just not cheap

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I have a Vaude Mk2

Looks like it may be a good tent (2 porches), however I have never used it

Other people rate them

Nice tent but way too small for me. Thanks anyway. :thumb2

They do get great reviews, I had one for a single very wet night in Wales and sold it. Too small for me and was impossible to get your wet kit off and into bed with getting damp.

There is no perfect tent which why so many of us have more than one.

The trouble with Hilleberg tents is they're so good you're unlikely to change to anything else after using one.

What's good?
Strength, quality, ease of pitching, great warranty.
Ease of pitching means the inner, outer and footprint all go up in one, a must for me.

I have 4 Hilleberg tents, and believe the Nammatj 3 is the best all season tent that money can buy!
The Nammatj 3 GT is better still, but the pack size and real estate required to pitch is significantly greater.
The Nammatj 2 GT may be a better compromise, but bear in mind it is 4 inches lower than the 3.

I bought a Staika 18 months ago, and I'm struggling to get on with it. I'm sure it's a great tent, but I just don't think I'm a Geo Dome kind of a bloke.

I know a black label Soulo is due out soon , and should be a great 1 man tent.
I have an Akto, and so can't justify buying one - I love the little Akto for a one night stopover ... but nothing more than that.

I think I have 8 tents ( 9 with the Terra Nova Jupiter), and If I could only keep one, it would without hesitation be the Hilleberg Nammatj 3.
It really is the do it all tent for any climate and situation.

As JB states, Vaude are a great make too. I bought one off here and it served me pretty well touring. I think I just gave it a bit too much of a hard life as they're meant for holidays not a lifestyle. After my poles and zip started to break in NZ I emailed Vaude Germany and they sent me out fresh poles and zips free of charge, unfortunately the weather (wind) had been pretty destructive to the flysheet and it was time for it to go. So great service from Vaude and I'd have one again.

I have a Terra Nova Quasar Super Endurance tent for sale £150.00 plus £10.00 carriage

I went a different direction though with a very small tent plus tarp.

Same here... I’ve winter-camped (in a beer garden, but it did snow :D) using a tent/tarp combo and it was much better than just a larger tent. Shelter to cook, etc was really useful and it can alternate as a windbreak

Attachments

• CDCDCFDD-C3AB-4C38-8246-C87C185137DA.jpeg
    CDCDCFDD-C3AB-4C38-8246-C87C185137DA.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 214
I had a Vaude Mk2 for many years and used it a fair bit in some atrocious weather during some 'wilderness' MTB events. (Polaris Events if anyone ever did them?) It never let me down. (Ex wife took it as part of 'settlement' just to f@@@ me off) I now have a Marmot Limelight3, equally as good so far.

Iceland has done me on 4 or 5 occasions, can’t remember, but I’m a fat fecker and a Hilleberg was ideal. I own a one man and a two man and have used both. Last trip I also took a tarp.

Next time will be the 2 man and as the weight difference is negligible and I will be riding my GSA Shire horse so plenty of room for the scrunched up tarp.

Back
Top Bottom