Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

A single person tent in Iceland.

It was raining hard after a great days riding.

This camp site is remote in the Westfjords and reached through various natural features and historically significant buildings that test and consolidate riding skills.

A few metres before leaving the dirt track to pull into this field to set up camp there is a stream that turns into a deeper wider stream when it rains, it starts to become a little scary ( to me ) but the prize is worth it as we pull into a field which is a few metres from the open sea, drift wood debris and rusting pieces of old fishing kit.

There is a rough shack with two toilets, a sink and a tap for fresh water. The rain just kept coming.

I went into the toilet assembled my tent, inflated the mattress, put the sleeping bag in and then took it outside and pegged it down facing the sea. I decided to sleep with the tent door open so the tarp was thrown over.. lush. Silent clean air .. it was beautiful. Took a minute to find the flat ground and peg it down.

My vote is for a small tent..

6cc0b6b3176f6eefaa14dc681dc68eac.jpg

And then later the rain stopped ..

7e223149a59df42ee0cd3147384593a6.jpg

That campsite (well piece of grass next to the sea tbh) was lovely and so remote. It was nice just sitting on the beach on a bit of driftwood just watching the sea. So peaceful.
Hell of a ride to get there. We stayed 2 nights there. Hope to go back.

Yep, Timolgra mentioned this and I’ve taken note. :thumb2. Thermal undies are on the list.
I’m going to give you a call next week about getting my 1150 in to you for a good overhaul. :thumb2

1150 is a heavy old bike especially fully loaded, have you thought about getting something lighter, a 650 or 800 perhaps? Be easier to handle off road. A DR400 would be my choice, buy and sell straight after the trip

1150 is a heavy old bike especially fully loaded, have you thought about getting something lighter, a 650 or 800 perhaps? Be easier to handle off road. A DR400 would be my choice, buy and sell straight after the trip

Yep, I’ve thought of that quite a lot. I very nearly bought that KTM 525 that was on here but was put off by the vibration issues it had. Same thing seems to go with other “older” KTM’s. I couldn’t justify spending upwards of £3k + modifications on a lightweight bike to do one trip. Even if I was to sell it after. I already have an 1150 in great condition sitting in my garage. It needs a good service ( not used it for at least 4 years ) so I’d rather get that sorted instead. I have an 850GS final drive and Ohlins to go on it now too.
I’m no off road god but can happily chuck my 1150 about and have done quite a lot of green lanes and the Stella Alpina on it. Brilliant fun. :thumb2
I’d then use it for going round Scandinavia and down to the Alps again. I miss touring on a big bike because I’ve gone soft since I bought my motorhome. :blast
And Tim alters the tours for big bikes so I’m not put off by taking it. I’m pretty sure that if Pacific can take a pillion plus camping gear and have no issues ( obviously a blooming good rider anyway ) I’ll be ok on my own on a lardy 1150 with the same stuff. At the end of the day it’s going to be a fantastic trip even if I can’t get down / up every track. :thumb2

Are there no hotels in Iceland? Fuck that...I’m out.

Camping is fun! Sounds like it can get a bit blowy and wet at times but what the hell. It’s not the Caribbean is it. It’s the remoteness and wild I’m after. After talking to Tom ( Smug ) it appears that it’s not all wild camping either so a few campsites are used.

I managed on my 1200 GSA last year. On the big bike trip there were
a few parts that were probably a little bit difficult and one trail where we turned round because it was blocked by snow. On the big bike trip it will be fine.
I'd not want to pack the same year on the back of a drz 400.
It's all part of the challenge.

I managed on my 1200 GSA last year. On the big bike trip there were
a few parts that were probably a little bit difficult and one trail where we turned round because it was blocked by snow. On the big bike trip it will be fine.
I'd not want to pack the same year on the back of a drz 400.
It's all part of the challenge.
Thank you. Exactly what I needed to hear.

That campsite (well piece of grass next to the sea tbh) was lovely and so remote. It was nice just sitting on the beach on a bit of driftwood just watching the sea. So peaceful.
Hell of a ride to get there. We stayed 2 nights there. Hope to go back.

f57980a2642f0f7974a3d4c1e0445d09.jpg

Lovely place

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_092519.jpg
    IMG_20200821_092519.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20200822_090251.jpg
    IMG_20200822_090251.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20200820_205823.jpg
    IMG_20200820_205823.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20200821_092743.jpg
    IMG_20200821_092743.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 135
Thank you. Exactly what I needed to hear.
I heard the sigh of relief from here . Make sure you have someone around when you need to pick the bike up. But more importantly, have fun and don't let the wind ups get to you.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Got that sorted. :D

All joking aside, peg upgrade is the first thing I do whenever I get a new tent. The ones I usually get are like a 6-8" nail with a little tang welded across the top about an inch down from the end. They go into almost any ground and rarely bend. There are plenty similar with a plastic end on them which I have some of as well.

All joking aside, peg upgrade is the first thing I do whenever I get a new tent. The ones I usually get are like a 6-8" nail with a little tang welded across the top about an inch down from the end. They go into almost any ground and rarely bend. There are plenty similar with a plastic end on them which I have some of as well.

I have a load of those somewhere in my storage unit. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom