Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

When are we going to cover which stove and which cooking set is best to use in such a large tent?

Ha ha you could have bought mine! Great tent and I've used one in Iceland...with my wife and loads of room to spare but......

You need some decent size FLAT real estate to pitch them, for one person it'll be freezing cold due to the sheer size of it and it weighs a ton.

If you're serious about coming to Iceland (with me) and you ask for advice, please don't completely disregard it.
You'll end up finding your GS is too heavy, you won't enjoy it and end up missing all the best bits and going by road, which has happened before :)

I suggested in post #16 that Udders ask your advice.
Oh well.

I suggested in post #16 that Udders ask your advice.
Oh well.
Which I clearly did but don’t let that stop your criticism.
Obviously haven’t read the thread properly! :blast I’ve clearly pointed out what very grateful advice has been given and acted upon.
Maybe I should take a Robens Green Cone? :nenau Would that satisfy the nay sayers? Ok, let’s see......
Green Cone = 5.2kgs. Pack size = 60cm x 20cm. 365cm x 310cm
Nammatj 2 GT = 3.7kgs. Pack size = 51cm x 18cm. 405 cm x 140cm
Kaitum 3 GT = 4.1kgs. Pack size = 53cm x 19cm. 505cm x 195cm.

So the tent I bought is 1.1kgs lighter and packs smaller than the green cone,
Is only 1 metre longer and 400g heavier than the Nammatj 2 GT. ( bit wider too )
What’s the problem? :nenau
It’s an identical tent that Timolgra has and has used for wild camping. Did / does he have problems when he used it? Not heard of any. Did he get criticised when he used his? I doubt it. Maybe a bit of piss taking due to its MASSIVE size? :blast It’s a very high quality tent that thousands of other people use all over the world in conditions I’ll never experience.
If I was buying a tent just for 1 man solo trips then yes, maybe a Nammatj 2/3 GT would be perfect BUT IT ISNT! I bought this tent so I can use it but ALSO my son and his girlfriend to take down the Alps! :blast

Clear now? :nenau

Oh and the optional extra groundsheet is 90 grams taking it to a grand total of nearly 4.2kgs! Wow. :thumb2

Who'd have thought getting a tent could get so intense. Thank f@@@ the internet wasn't about 100+ years ago....explorers would never have gone anywhere

Who'd have thought getting a tent could get so intense. Thank f@@@ the internet wasn't about 100+ years ago....explorers would never have gone anywhere
Tell me about it! :blast
Advice was sought, and some great advice was given. After listening to that advice and taking into account various other factors, made a choice. I bought a tent from what is one of the worlds leading manufacturers. A compromise of size, weight and strength. The right one for ME and my family. 1 tent to cover all bases. Some on here clearly don’t agree with that choice but guess what....it’s not for them is it!

When are we going to cover which stove and which cooking set is best to use in such a large tent?

A stove has been selected for its compact design and seamless blending in with chosen tent.
Looks perfect.

2b441c7c4dc3a3af67ad0d276ee50456.jpg

A stove has been selected for its compact design and seamless blending in with chosen tent.
Looks perfect.

2b441c7c4dc3a3af67ad0d276ee50456.jpg

We’ve got of of those tents (Soulpad) and I’ve often fancied getting a stove, we only use it for festis and stuff so it’s left pitched for some time.........

Ideal I’d have thought although if weight’s an issue on the 1150 you can get collapsible wood burners that are designed to work with the tents. Worth considering Udders :thumb2

Andres

No heater wanted thanks. :thumb2 A nice warm sleeping bag will do with an Exped Downmat. Shall I start a thread on sleeping bags next? :nenau :D. I am a needy twat after all. That’ll annoy the hierarchy.
How dare I have the audacity to ask fo advice on adventure bike forum! :eek:

No heater wanted thanks. :thumb2 A nice warm sleeping bag will do with an Exped Downmat. Shall I start a thread on sleeping bags next? :nenau :D. I am a needy twat after all. That’ll annoy the hierarchy.
How dare I have the audacity to ask fo advice on adventure bike forum! :eek:

I'm needing a new bag just a bit miserable to buy a good one.

This thread has been very useful to others too .
I’ve bought myself a minimalist tent as well .
Perfect for solo camping trips

fd5bf9c1f49ddc742e0fb4ab43dcd63f.jpg

9d8d329b446ec466f2277e8dd0601f58.jpg

8cbad27bb7abb4d8e92028d7643af40d.jpg

'Twas ever thus: many years ago I remember reading a report on Artic explorers who preferred alloy collar studs because of the weight saving :blast

fd5bf9c1f49ddc742e0fb4ab43dcd63f.jpg

9d8d329b446ec466f2277e8dd0601f58.jpg

8cbad27bb7abb4d8e92028d7643af40d.jpg

Nowt wrong with a bit of space when your away with the family; minesthe Outwell the Mrs is guarding; the daughters is Hi Gear; the only problem is having to hire a tranny crew cab to get all of us and the kit to where you need to be;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210412-142048.jpg
    Screenshot_20210412-142048.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 219

Added bonus, if you get cold in the night you can leave the bike running and lay next to it to keep you warm :p

Added bonus, if you get cold in the night you can leave the bike running and lay next to it to keep you warm :p

Why not go the whole way and take a spare engine to mount in a cradle and rev the fuck out of it all night as demonstrated by the unhinged Italians at the Mugello MotoGP round every year.

Why not go the whole way and take a spare engine to mount in a cradle and rev the fuck out of it all night as demonstrated by the unhinged Italians at the Mugello MotoGP round every year.

The Italians don't have the monopoly on that kind of shit; the frogs don't do to bad at the 24 hour events;

Tell me about it! :blast
Advice was sought, and some great advice was given. After listening to that advice and taking into account various other factors, made a choice. I bought a tent from what is one of the worlds leading manufacturers. A compromise of size, weight and strength. The right one for ME and my family. 1 tent to cover all bases. Some on here clearly don’t agree with that choice but guess what....it’s not for them is it!

Deep down I know you’re regretting not going with the pop up fairy princess castle and with added unicorn features.

Are you on this years trip?

Deep down I know you’re regretting not going with the pop up fairy princess castle and with added unicorn features.

Are you on this years trip?

How do you know I haven’t got a fairy princess one? :green gri
No, not on this years trip. I want all this COVID shit out the way before I go. Any confusion on insurance, paperwork, documents etc will be sorted too. Plus I need to get my bike sorted and the rest of my kit from my parents garage. Not seen them for over a year cos they’re both over 80 now. I’m off to get some Sidi Crossfire 2 boots Saturday so I can get them broken in and get sized up for my extra large Klim Badlands suit. :thumb2. Then go practice off road fully kitted up so I won’t hold everyone else up. :blast

How do you know I haven’t got a fairy princess one? :green gri
No, not on this years trip. I want all this COVID shit out the way before I go. Any confusion on insurance, paperwork, documents etc will be sorted too. Plus I need to get my bike sorted and the rest of my kit from my parents garage. Not seen them for over a year cos they’re both over 80 now. I’m off to get some Sidi Crossfire 2 boots Saturday so I can get them broken in and get sized up for my extra large Klim Badlands suit. :thumb2. Then go practice off road fully kitted up so I won’t hold everyone else up. :blast

Good point, if you do have one can I borrow it I’ve an idea to erect a magical kingdom.

I’ve been a few times and if you want to PM me with any questions happy to help.

For example, Crossfires are big ( I have a pair) and much prefer the Sidi adventure which has served well in Iceland and reasonable to get on off and keep dry through streams. I also have an XL Klim badlands.

Back
Top Bottom