Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

Not specific to Iceland but I won't buy any tent that doesn't erect or pack with inner and outer together. I've seen plenty were you have to put up the inner and then add the fly, awful when it's wet and windy.

Not specific to Iceland but I won't buy any tent that doesn't erect or pack with inner and outer together. I've seen plenty were you have to put up the inner and then add the fly, awful when it's wet and windy.

I sent Robens an email asking exactly that a couple of hours ago to see if they can be pitched as one. I’m pretty sure they can but would like the answer confirming. :thumb2

I sent Robens an email asking exactly that a couple of hours ago to see if they can be pitched as one. I’m pretty sure they can but would like the answer confirming. :thumb2

Look on their site, each tent option has a pitching instruction that you can download as a pdf. I loooked specifically at the Voyager 2EX which I wouuld use without an additional tarp. That can be erected packed with the inner tent in place.

Look on their site, each tent option has a pitching instruction that you can download as a pdf. I loooked specifically at the Voyager 2EX which I wouuld use without an additional tarp. That can be erected packed with the inner tent in place.

Well in that link you put up ( never heard of camping world ) the same tent is £40 cheaper than the one I was looking at! :thumb2
It also says in the description that they can be pitched as one! :clap. It’s not been mentioned anywhere else I’ve found it. Superb. I may get me one of those. :thumb2
Something else checked off the list.
Now, Exped Megamat 10! :D

I had a Vaude Mk2 for many years and used it a fair bit in some atrocious weather during some 'wilderness' MTB events. (Polaris Events if anyone ever did them?)

Absolutely - closest I've been to exposure was one November on a Polaris event in the Lakes with extremely ineffective kit.

Sorry, off topic.

Absolutely - closest I've been to exposure was one November on a Polaris event in the Lakes with extremely ineffective kit.

Sorry, off topic.

You should have posted on here asking what kit to use.:D You could have enjoyed some ascerbic wit from Martin and lots of random abuse plus a couple of irrelevant suggestions. Still off topic!

You should have posted on here asking what kit to use.:D You could have enjoyed some ascerbic wit from Martin and lots of random abuse plus a couple of irrelevant suggestions. Still off topic!

Don't have to come here for that, I can get plenty at home!

At the end of the day...literally.
If it doesn't leak, blow away or weigh a ton who gives a stuff whether it's 'the best.

I have to agree. But a tent that can be put up in 3 minutes will piss other people off.:D

I totally agree,

The other thing I can do with all my Hillebergs is that when it is really shit weather, I will take the inner down from inside the tent and pack it into a dry bag without even exiting the tent. This makes sure it stays completely dry even when it’s heavy rain outside. I can then take down the outer and pack that separately.

When I get to the next campsite, just erect the outer on its own and then put the inner in afterwards, which again ensures that your sleeping space stays as dry as possible.

I know they are silly money, but IMHO (and first hand experience) they are really rather good tents.

I know they are silly money, but IMHO (and first hand experience) they are really rather good tents.

Thing with tents, is there is always a £39 Halfrauds alternative to curl one out in & leave in a Somerset field for organisers to deal with.
Have the TFT lifted off your bike, and it's 1200 nicker with no other option but buy nicked.
If ever there was a warranted environment tax, it should be on festival/beach/gazebo tat.

I think I’ve used Hilleberg 4-5 times in Iceland ( it’s all a blur now), but next time I’m tempted to take my fairy princess pop up tent and adjoined unicorn castle feature.

I reckon it would be ideal for storage of helmet and boots.

Here is a summary of all the tents and other variably helpful (or not so) recommendations to date. It is not always completely clear if the recommendation was always made with direct reference to Iceland or indeed if they always met the other criteria set by Udders, so further research or a question (or more) might well be on the cards.

Sleep under a tarp

Stay in a hotel (this can be discounted)

Robens Hikers Castle

2/3 person Blacks tunnel tent

MSR Elixir 1

Coleman Tent Darwin, Compact Dome Tent

Hilleberg Tarra

Nammatj 2GT / Nammatj 2GT (again) / Nammatj 2 GT (again)

A very small tent plus tarp / A very small tent plus tarp (again) / small tent with footprint, tarp (again)

Khyam igloo

Vango Omega 250

Hilleberg Anjan GT

Vaude Mk2 (but never used, so not sure if it’s a recommendation or not) / Vaude Mk2 (again)

Hilleberg Nammatj 3

Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT

Vaude (but no model mentioned)

Terra Nova Quasar Super Endurance (but only as a for sale advert)

Marmot Limelight3 / Marmot Limelight (again)

Hilleberg, but not specified which model

Hilliberg Nallo 2

Vaude Power Sphaerio 3 Persons - Mountain tent

Vango Assynt 200

Vango Meteor pro 300

Lone Rider ADV Tent - Adventure Motorcycle Tent (but take care as someone else says it’s unsuitable for Iceland)

Vango Helium F10 / Vango Helium F10 (again)

Vango Scafell 200 2 person tent

Hilleberg and tarp combo (type not specified)

Robens Green Cone / Robens Green Cone (again)

Scarp 1

Scarp 2 (comment that it’s better than the Scarp 1)

Hercules AST

Hilleberg (but type not mentioned)

Fairy princess pop up tent and adjoined unicorn castle feature (ideal for storage of helmet and boots)

Good luck pulling the bones out of that lot. If, as and when you do, be sure to let us know.

:beerjug:

Here is a summary of all the tents and other variably helpful (or not so) recommendations to date. It is not always completely clear if the recommendation was always made with direct reference to Iceland or indeed if they always met the other criteria set by Udders, so further research or a question (or more) might well be on the cards.

Sleep under a tarp

Stay in a hotel (this can be discounted)

Robens Hikers Castle

2/3 person Blacks tunnel tent

MSR Elixir 1

Coleman Tent Darwin, Compact Dome Tent

Hilleberg Tarra

Nammatj 2GT / Nammatj 2GT (again) / Nammatj 2 GT (again)

A very small tent plus tarp / A very small tent plus tarp (again) / small tent with footprint, tarp (again)

Khyam igloo

Vango Omega 250

Hilleberg Anjan GT

Vaude Mk2 (but never used, so not sure if it’s a recommendation or not) / Vaude Mk2 (again)

Hilleberg Nammatj 3

Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT

Vaude (but no model mentioned)

Terra Nova Quasar Super Endurance (but only as a for sale advert)

Marmot Limelight3 / Marmot Limelight (again)

Hilleberg, but not specified which model

Hilliberg Nallo 2

Vaude Power Sphaerio 3 Persons - Mountain tent

Vango Assynt 200

Vango Meteor pro 300

Lone Rider ADV Tent - Adventure Motorcycle Tent (but take care as someone else says it’s unsuitable for Iceland)

Vango Helium F10 / Vango Helium F10 (again)

Vango Scafell 200 2 person tent

Hilleberg and tarp combo (type not specified)

Robens Green Cone / Robens Green Cone (again)

Scarp 1

Scarp 2 (comment that it’s better than the Scarp 1)

Hercules AST

Hilleberg (but type not mentioned)

Fairy princess pop up tent and adjoined unicorn castle feature (ideal for storage of helmet and boots)

Good luck pulling the bones out of that lot. If, as and when you do, be sure to let us know.

:beerjug:
Excellent post! :thumb2. Lots of research possibilities there. That’s gonna keep me busy whilst I’m sat here in Chessington waiting to get loaded. Maybe not the unicorn one though.
You must have been very bored to write all that out.

Excellent post! :thumb2. Lots of research possibilities there. That’s gonna keep me busy whilst I’m sat here in Chessington waiting to get loaded. Maybe not the unicorn one though.
You must have been very bored to write all that out.

You don’t know what you’re missing..

89dc9b0b04c68219cf3723f3f5a47976.jpg

With the Green Cone the inner and outer come separate. The very first time you pitch it you then attach the inner. After that you just leave it there.

This may be the process for other Robens tents.

tom

My preference ....
Hilleberg Soulo with the right tarp and poles.
If it's raining I can pull the tent, pack everything away under the tarp.

Attachments

• 20200805_205254.jpg
    20200805_205254.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 172
I already have a 3x3 Robens tarp. :thumb2 Never been out of its bag! :blast
I’m gonna have to get all my camping stuff out and see what I’ve got. I’ve gone soft over the last 5ish years and gone everywhere in my motorhome. :augie

Back
Top Bottom