Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

I already have a 3x3 Robens tarp. :thumb2 Never been out of its bag! :blast
I’m gonna have to get all my camping stuff out and see what I’ve got. I’ve gone soft over the last 5ish years and gone everywhere in my motorhome. :augie

Remember a tarp is only as good as the way it's pitched especially if it's windy :)

You have another year to think about what you're not going to take as opposed to what you could :D

I already have a 3x3 Robens tarp. :thumb2 Never been out of its bag! :blast
I’m gonna have to get all my camping stuff out and see what I’ve got. I’ve gone soft over the last 5ish years and gone everywhere in my motorhome. :augie

Tim Is the expert, but I struggled to find tarp poles small enough when collapsed to fit in luggage. I found the basic carbon fibre monopods from Amazon worked well. The collapse small and extend tall and can be adjusted any height. Also lightweight and strong.

For next trip if I can find a trap pole ( I plan to try bakermans suggestion) then I will go that route but if space is tight the monopod seemed to work.

Remember a tarp is only as good as the way it's pitched especially if it's windy :)

You have another year to think about what you're not going to take as opposed to what you could :D

All that time to confuse myself! :blast I’ve never put a tarp up but can see the many benefits of having one. I live on a campsite so I’ve no excuse not to experiment. Off to get the 850GS final drive from Tom Saturday so that’s something else sorted. :thumb2

All that time to confuse myself! :blast I’ve never put a tarp up but can see the many benefits of having one. I live on a campsite so I’ve no excuse not to experiment. Off to get the 850GS final drive from Tom Saturday so that’s something else sorted. :thumb2

Haha don't worry, I'd only suggest using a tarp on a trip like this if you're using a tiny one man tent, so no need with anything bigger.

You've suggested you're a large guy and want a bit of space and I know we're often banging on about Hillebergs but as you're finding out there's plenty of cheaper alternatives.

One thing I would suggest again though, and I've never had one, look at the Hilleberg Nammatj 2GT. It'll suit your requirement perfectly and if you can find one at a good price you'll almost get your money back if you decide to sell it afterwards.
They all fetch good money on ebay.

Ok, tarp idea ditched! :thumb2 Yes, I’m a big lump and do like a bit of room and a decent porch on a tent. I’m quite impressed with the Robens Voyager Versa 4 2021 model. Probably not in the same range of the Hilleberg quality side of things but as long as it’s strong enough and roomy I may get one to try. It won’t get used all that much anyway.

Ok, tarp idea ditched! :thumb2 Yes, I’m a big lump and do like a bit of room and a decent porch on a tent. I’m quite impressed with the Robens Voyager Versa 4 2021 model. Probably not in the same range of the Hilleberg quality side of things but as long as it’s strong enough and roomy I may get one to try. It won’t get used all that much anyway.

After all the advise you're seriously thinking of packing a 4 man tent ..... Great, party time :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-214947.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-214947.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 161
Aah yes, but before everyone jumps on this, there’s an alternative reason I may go down that route. It’s because I point blank refuse to let my son take my motorhome down to the Alps! So I said I’d buy a tent that’s going to be ok for me to use on various trips but is also plenty big enough for him and his girlfriend to use. :thumb2
He’s bigger than me too! :blast. And I’m no lightweight! :green gri

Now you are broadening the scope of your enquiry considerably. This is what is known as, ‘Project overrun’, where a consultant (in this case, UKGSer’s camping section) is asked for one thing, which the client (in this case, you) completely alters by way of the information, needs or design, after the work is well underway. This leads to considerable delays in decision making, often with significant additional costs.

You started looking for an (arguably) oversized but still lightweight tent that is suitable for a single (oversized) male, going to Iceland, outside of the deep winter, riding a motorcycle. The principle guiding factor was that it must be suitable for Iceland, as distinct from say, Norway or Greece or Norfolk.

Now it has to meet the criteria of suiting your oversized son and his girlfriend (dimensions unknown) in the Alps, which may well open up a whole different set of issues. For example, when are they going to the Alps? If it’s winter, it’s one thing; if it’s high summer, it may be quite another. Will they be seeking to camp ‘at height’ ? How will they be carrying the tent? Is the female (or indeed your son) fussy about the colour?

If I might suggest a practicable solution, please. Take your motorhome, with your motorbike on its trailer, to Iceland. You have now all but removed the need for a tent. Tell your son and girlfriend to chose their own Alpine tent.

:beerjug:

Now you are broadening the scope of your enquiry considerably. This is what is known as, ‘Project overrun’, where a consultant (in this case, UKGSer’s camping section) is asked for one thing, which the client (in this case, you) completely alters by way of the information, needs or design, after the work is well underway. This leads to considerable delays in decision making, often with significant additional costs.

You started looking for an (arguably) oversized but still lightweight tent that is suitable for a single (oversized) male, going to Iceland, outside of the deep winter, riding a motorcycle. The principle guiding factor was that it must be suitable for Iceland, as distinct from say, Norway or Greece or Norfolk.

Now it has to meet the criteria of suiting your oversized son and his girlfriend (dimensions unknown) in the Alps, which may well open up a whole different set of issues. For example, when are they going to the Alps? If it’s winter, it’s one thing; if it’s high summer, it may be quite another. Will they be seeking to camp ‘at height’ ? How will they be carrying the tent? Is the female (or indeed your son) fussy about the colour?

If I might suggest a practicable solution, please. Take your motorhome, with your motorbike on its trailer, to Iceland. You have now all but removed the need for a tent. Tell your son and girlfriend to chose their own Alpine tent.

:beerjug:

Sod that! I priced up taking my motorhome to Shetland a while back. Won’t be going there in that but will on my GS with a tent. :thumb2
Green, it has to be green. :D
Yes I must admit that after a conversation with my son last weekend the tent criteria did change slightly from a 2/3 man to a 3/4 man one. Sorry.
I wrongly assumed that a bad storm on Iceland ( hence my thread title )would be a lot worse than most other places due to its remote location. As several bods on here have pointed out they aren’t. Excellent.:thumb2

A bad/normal summer storm in Iceland can blow a tent away or you off your bike. Don't underestimate it ;)

A bad/normal summer storm in Iceland can blow a tent away or you off your bike. Don't underestimate it ;)

Aah ok. Fairy nuff. I’m guessing you get regular weather reports whilst over there so have some idea of what’s coming?

And he still disnae know which wan tae buy

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Yebbut the long list is very short now thanks to all the replies.
Some people should take note, it would save them buying 30 different bikes in a year trying to find the right one!
Do your research first then get the correct item first time. It saves a lot of hassle and money constantly changing.

Thank fuck for Internet forums.

Life was soooooo complicated, so unpredictable and we fucked up so often before Internet forums.

Life is so much simpler now and the best of the best is ours for the taking, just a simple question away :)

Andres

Thank fuck for Internet forums.

Life was soooooo complicated, so unpredictable and we fucked up so often before Internet forums.

Life is so much simpler now and the best of the best is ours for the taking, just a simple question away :)

Andres
I know you’re being sarcastic but personal experience of something is always better than a google search. Google just tells you statistics but if people have been somewhere and can pass on that experience to others wanting to go then what’s the harm in asking? :nenau
Some of you may have been several times and know what the score is and take what’s necessary. If it’s an Alps trip for example, then there are plenty of places to get stuff that’s broken / forgotten but camped up miles from anywhere in Iceland then it’s not so easy. I’d rather risk the piss takers on here having their fun at my expense than go with the wrong kit. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom