Klime Badlands Pro Jacket

Agree 100%
I've spent 38 years trying to find a jacket that meets all requirements in the middle. The Rallye has done this to a point. From my first rallye up to the 3 I use today. I've probably answered this question for myself. 99% of my long trips have been south to warmer climates. This year I'm going North. Via Russia up to Nordkapp.
So. Keep my Rallye for south
And buy the Klime for North !

Despite what all the marketing guff tells you, laminate suits area totally crap in consistent hot weather.

Despite what all the marketing guff tells you, breathable, non-waterproof suits are totally crap in persistent cold and rain.

The Rallye is a superb suit. The Badlands is a superb suit.

It's all about intended use...

All I would add is up to around 40 degrees, I didn't stink on the Badlands.

I agree, the Rallye is better suited to hot weather, but I suppose some depends on your own shape and physical fitness too. A big lad is gonna feel the heat more.

The Klim wins in the all-rounder category for me.

All I would add is up to around 40 degrees, I didn't stink on the Badlands.

It’s the jacket that starts to stink - and would you trust it to a local laundry in Tajikistan? The problem only really occurs if you’re a long way from home fro a long time I guess.

For long-distance touring, I’d go for the Rallye. For the UK, I’d go for the Badlands (although I wouldn’t; I’d go the the Rukka Kalavesi instead as it’s more comfortable).

Oh - and Monty, I resent the suggestion I’m an unfit big lad. Only one of those is true :D

My old Rallye was the best jacket I've owned and did some proper long trips, commuting and off roading. I made it a truly four season jacket by carrying an army Gortex over jacket in the bum pocket where it was always on hand. With that it was proper warm and dry in winter. With the liner out and all the vents open in summer it was the coolest jacket I've owned.

Having said that I replaced it with a Badlands a few years ago. It's cool enough for me in the summer and 100% waterproof. Layerd up in winter its's toasty warm. Re the stiffness of the jackets it never quite goes away but does improve over time and after a couple of washes.

Andres

I don’t know what armour comes with the latest Badlands but I upgraded (downgraded??) to D3O Ghost armour in my mk1 Badlands suit. It’s transformed it into a nice light jacket that fits and is comfortable on and off the bike, mind I had long since binned the kidney belt and the chest armour. I just need to find some super light and thin back armour now as I take it out on hot days.

My suit is now about 7 years old and has finally lost most of its stiffness. It’s nice to wear but is not cool in both senses - I still feel a twat when I wear it and when it’s 25c+ I find it too warm to wear unless moving quickly (depends on how airy your bike is - MG V85TT is a lot cooler (in both senses) than my old GSA.

All in all though it is probably the best bike kit I’ve ever had.

I have a badlands suit that I hove owned from new (5 years now) and can vouch for it’s all round ability
2016 I with 2 friends rode down to Titises in the Black Forest the rain was biblical and started just outside Calais we did apx 440 miles in by bathroom power shower
I got off my bike at the hotel car park took my jacket off shook it and it was bone dry
The other 2 lads were in Rukka and rst kit both were soaked through and took almost 2 days to dry out
Another trip in 2017 to larochelle it was +40 we all felt the heat but I can say again that with all the vents open and the chest folded back (with the chest armour) I was comfortable and with the bonus of having a built in camel back pouch I was a hell of a lot more hydrated than the 2 friends with me
As has been stated
It’s what you are going to do that should direct you choice of kit not money or a badge
So for me the badlands suit is just right

What exactly do you mean ?
Most people commute around 15-20 miles a day for work and I would assume buy what is suitable for the day to day to day use with a klim suit costing apx 2-2500 most people would be happy with rukka/ halvasons
But I am not a commuter I use my bike for long weekends/ holidays in the uk and Europe and did a lot of research and head scratching with regard to price and have found the suit to do everything I want from it as I do not know if it’s going to be +40 -10 or raining cats and dogs while I am away
Other suits are as capable I am sure

My Rallye pro 2 & 3 have been to Africa, Asia and all of Europe with me. Its a little faded now, but still a good jacket. By all accounts on here, I guess I need to try a Badlands Pro next !

Interesting thread this. I’m wanting to get this suit too. Need to find somewhere that has various sizes to try on. Bit of a problem at the moment though when my “local” stockist is on line ordering only! :blast

Just to throw a spanner run the works, I wore a badlands pro in Iceland when God was doing the tests to see if the next flooding of the world should start in the Westfjords.

I had to take it off as it was like wearing a suit of armour and restricting movement. I had my traverse jacket with me so swapped and it was much easier when layered up. It stoped wind and rain and I had the layers that enabled me to control heat.

Klim Badlands Pro

My two peneth

Bought jacket and trousers from Sportsbikeshop in Autumn 2019 for a 6 week trip in Australia.
Weird that others have said sizing comes up small I found the opposite.
Rode from Brisbane to Tassie and back, most days it was high 30s/low 40s centrigade, highest we saw was 46 degrees and jacket was fine with vents/zips open.
In the Snowy Mountains it was....snowy! and with extra layers I was still toasty warm.
Only issue in extreme heat is that the trousers are a bit lacking in ventilation, front and back vents on thighs but standing on the pegs was required to get air moving but that could be the bike adding to heat and blocking the wind.
Biblical rain in Melbourne rush hour and stayed dry as a dry thing, (similar weather in Scotland last year with same result).
I think its a heavy suit and as others have said a bit stiff but after a year or so its getting less stiff but no lighter.
On the subject of weight the pocket thing isnt an issue to me as I try and carry less crap in my jacket now.
Secret stash pocket is handy for hiding documents and paper cash.
If you can wait till shops open I would try for size before spending your cash, I had three different sizes of trousers sent to Sportsbikeshop in Leeds so I could choose the best fit.

Just to throw a spanner run the works, I wore a badlands pro in Iceland when God was doing the tests to see if the next flooding of the world should start in the Westfjords.

I had to take it off as it was like wearing a suit of armour and restricting movement. I had my traverse jacket with me so swapped and it was much easier when layered up. It stoped wind and rain and I had the layers that enabled me to control heat.

Badlands is 3-layer laminate. Traverse is 2-layer laminate. Balnds also has lots of additional Superfabric-typre reinforcement and lots more zips. All of which contribute to the stiffness (and the bullet-proof, suit-of-armour feel).

I've got both and see them as being for different jobs. Traverse is really an off-road piece of kit - I'm not sure how it would react to being taken down the road in a high(wish) speed tarmac off.

PS you had the flood test in the Westfjords. Last time I was there we had the wind test!

Badlands is 3-layer laminate. Traverse is 2-layer laminate. Balnds also has lots of additional Superfabric-typre reinforcement and lots more zips. All of which contribute to the stiffness (and the bullet-proof, suit-of-armour feel).

I've got both and see them as being for different jobs. Traverse is really an off-road piece of kit - I'm not sure how it would react to being taken down the road in a high(wish) speed tarmac off.

PS you had the flood test in the Westfjords. Last time I was there we had the wind test!

Oh, I’ve had the wind test too. South of Iceland on the A1, the biek was at around. 60degree lean into the gust ans then it stops and you have to flick the bike back upright. Crossing a single track metal bridge when it gusts and you are no longer in the middle.

I didn’t realise until after riding for 3 hours in terrifying wind that when the road sign wording is in red colour instead of white it means don’t do it !

I think I prefer my traverse .. maybe it’s time to sell my badlands pro, keep the traverse and buy a rally pro .. hmm..

Badlands (and the bullet-proof, suit-of-armour feel).

Now there in lays my problem, after having the Adventure jacket, which was heavier to be sure, the badlands feels cheap and lightweight, and not very robust at all, it depend on your perspective.

They size small, so please do try on and with the expected number of layers you ride with. Personally I have a long sleeve base layer and tee shirt only, which is fine for regular UK weather, but add a fleece in winter, remove the base layer in hotter climates.

Size is odd, I usually take size L 42/44" but on this one I'm an M, L was massive. Like others have said, no real inside pockets but space for phone and wallet which is fine. It's laminate goretex, so will never be as cool as the Rally ,with a drop liner, and to vent properly you need to open the front zip part way and pin the collar back - there's studs or velcro for that. Armour is good, chest armour a faff but will help with protection. On mine there's an internal kidney belt which is very good, that was maybe dropped on later models. Sleeve pocket is very useful for debit card or tickets, as other have said.

It's very waterproof but has no thermal liner so on cold days layer up - I use a Warm n Safe heated jacket. Overall, unless it never rains, in which case the Rally ends up a soggy heavy mess, it's better.

STADLER SUPERVENT 3

Not a well known brand in UK now, but if you had leathers from BM in the 70/80' it was made by Stadler, I recon one of the best privately own gear factory in Europe. The original Atlantis suit was made by them for BM and a Teutonic version they produced under the own brand. I see they only make now one leather jacket the rest is fabric . The German Police leathers they made were :barf:D

Carries a 10 year warranty. Stadler offer crash repairs as well. The jacket is over £1000:eek:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 170
Well that's convinced me.
I keep thinking I should have a Badlands jacket for Iceland I already use the trousers which are great.
I have tried the jackets but for me they're just too heavy, restrictive, cuffs don't work for me, no storm collar and the pockets dint work for me.
I'll stick with an old Hein gericke using simple hiprotech armour, don't even bother with a Back protector as the rucksack does that.
Cheap army gortex over the top when it gets foul.

I have an old latitude and traverse for use everywhere else :)

Well that's convinced me.
I keep thinking I should have a Badlands jacket for Iceland I already use the trousers which are great.
I have tried the jackets but for me they're just too heavy, restrictive, cuffs don't work for me, no storm collar and the pockets dint work for me.
I'll stick with an old Hein gericke using simple hiprotech armour, don't even bother with a Back protector as the rucksack does that.
Cheap army gortex over the top when it gets foul.

I have an old latitude and traverse for use everywhere else :)
Rucksack you say.......... :D
Go on, I have to ask! :green gri

Back
Top Bottom