Has anyone bought a CB500X and regretted it?

Johnnydrama

Reaction score
Im thinking of taking the plunge, just interested in the real world thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Im thinking of taking the plunge, just interested in the real world thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
no I love mine after having at least 15 users its not as fast as a gs but I'm slowing down a bit its frugal as hell not for everyone but certainly for me and after close to 100 bikes I love this one

I’m currently considering selling my 800 for a CB500X. The GS is lovely and low mileage, but tall and 80+ BHP. With a CB500X my lad can use it as a new rider. Once the stores open I’ll be talking to my local dealer re a px

I bought one new 18 months ago. The only thing I regret is not being able to get out much on it over the last year. I chopped in an 1100 Ducati Multistrada for it and reckon its a far more usable bike. Certainly not as fast or powerful, but far easier to ride, unquestionable reliability, regular 80mpg. It cruises happily at 80mph ( I can't be arsed with blatting along at outrageous speed these days, been there done that )
I don't ride two up anymore, so I don't need 100BHP, but overtakes do require a little more planning. I've done some easyish green laning on it, the bike is reasonably light and manouverable. Having a gammy left hand with much reduced grip the clutch action on the 500x is very light, I can use one finger on it, so town riding isn't a chore for me.
I cannot find fault with this bike, I'm very pleased with it.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,104
The Missenden Flyer chap on You tube has done a recent review on the bike that is very positive. He did lament the fact the bike does not have a centre stand, but they are available as an add on extra. The Itchy Boots girl had a pre 2019 model (smaller front wheel) for a while and seemed to like it.

The Missenden Flyer chap on You tube has done a recent review on the bike that is very positive. He did lament the fact the bike does not have a centre stand, but they are available as an add on extra. The Itchy Boots girl had a pre 2019 model (smaller front wheel) for a while and seemed to like it.

The center stand did annoy me when I first collected mine, the bike in the showroom had one fitted so I wrongly assumed it was standard equipment....Had my salesman mentioned the optional extras available I'd have thrown the lot on at the time of ordering it. I did get heated grips thrown in but that was because I specifically asked about them as I suffer with raynaud's. so warm hands are a must for me.

I bought and fitted (super easy, 15min job including drinking a brew) a Genuine Honda stand soon after taking collection of my CB500X though, It makes everything so much easier.

Manufacturers are taking the piss these days when they don't fit a centre stand, and charge extra.......cnuts.

Manufacturers are taking the piss these days when they don't fit a centre stand, and charge extra.......cnuts.

I think Honda can be forgiven as its only about £5700 otr . it will do well over 100,000 miles with just oil changes and be perfectly reliable. another £150 for a centre stand isn't the end of the world in my view. its one of the best value bike out there. on expensive bikes I agree :D

The center stand was £125 from Blackpool Honda.

Luggage-1.jpg

Bought mine new at the end of Jan 2020 and whilst I'll not say I regret buying it, it hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Not enough ground clearance for me on the 2013 launch version, so no sale back then. Roll forward to 2019 and the release of the current model with it's increased ground clearance and front wheel size and I'm interested. So much so that I went and bought one, veiwing it as a replacement to my 1998 Transalp 600 . . . which it isn't :blast
It sips fuel and has enough go about it for my way of riding but . . .

. . . . the bike as it comes still doesn't have adequate ground clearance for even the fairly light off-roading that I manage to do up here :augie. Tracks that the alp just trots over, the CB5X grinds the home made sump guard that I've fitted :eek:. So without spending a fair wedge on Rally Raid suspension upgrades the bike isn't fit for what I'd hoped to be able to do on it - bounce around the trails in the Lake district and the Yorkshire dales.

Have tried flogging it via Gumtree up here but being surrounded by short armed and deep pocketed Jocks, I've had no takers.

So, not regretting the purchase, just not seeing it fitting the role I'd envisaged it would.

SteveT

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom