Someone put me off

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a new 500 Classic and I know it’ll be a gutless turd but a voice in my head keeps telling me it’ll be fun to just trundle around on B roads wearing an open faced helmet and taking occasional puffs on my eTab.

They’re cheap enough to buy a new one but stocks are running low, the sun is out more frequently, lockdown will eventually finish and I feel my resistance levels are low so help!

Get some 17" wheels for the Husky and don't open the throttle much.

I’m looking at buying a new 500 Classic and I know it’ll be a gutless turd but a voice in my head keeps telling me it’ll be fun to just trundle around on B roads wearing an open faced helmet and taking occasional puffs on my eTab.

They’re cheap enough to buy a new one but stocks are running low, the sun is out more frequently, lockdown will eventually finish and I feel my resistance levels are low so help!
I think I’d rather walk than ride a piece of Shiite like that.
Has that put you off??
:D

I think I’d rather walk than ride a piece of Shiite like that.
Has that put you off??
:D

I hate walking.

Don’t worry, I’d kill it within 6 months and I’m not expecting it to be a fanny magnet apart from the wife who’d be able to touch the floor on it so might pinch it for jolly days out.

Well an Andy v Stella afternoon drink off has seen a holding deposit paid on one of these

https://www.royalenfield.com/conten...sale/specification/tribute-black-uk-specs.pdf

It’s only money and it’s kind of turning the clock back because when I was a scruffy apprentice I helped my dad rebuild a pre-unit ex military 350 from being a pile of rust into a nice bike that he enjoyed riding well into his 60s.

First thing will be to remove the panniers and pillion seat because there’s no point having a wife with a full licence if I’ve got to cart her around the countryside on an under powered slug :beerjug:

Man vs Stella moments have been responsible for a good few of my purchases! And a few grateful near misses.

However modest its performance is, it's a lovely thing to look at.

I’m dropping in at the dealers on my way to Pembroke this afternoon so unless I do a complete U turn on the idea I’ll be coughing up the money and trying to ensure I’m off work for a week in the near future so I can collect it and try to get it to the first service. The only thing that might sway me is that I was originally looking for a matt black stealth version of the 500 but the dodgy bastard dealer pointed out the version I’ve paid the deposit on and I changed my mind.

It does seem that Facebook is the place to go for most things RE related which is unfortunate due to my long standing dismissal of Facebook :blast

Man vs Stella moments have been responsible for a good few of my purchases! And a few grateful near misses.

However modest its performance is, it's a lovely thing to look at.
There is definitely something very satisfying in toodling around nice country roads on a simple but proper motorcycle.... I'm loving my Interceptor and its first post running in service is due this week, it's just a sweet running well planted twin with more than adequate everything for real world motorcycling ..... I would also consider a classic 500 addition to my garage
882c598734c90cb97bfa3420822263e4.jpg

Well an Andy v Stella afternoon drink off has seen a holding deposit paid on one of these

https://www.royalenfield.com/conten...sale/specification/tribute-black-uk-specs.pdf

It’s only money and it’s kind of turning the clock back because when I was a scruffy apprentice I helped my dad rebuild a pre-unit ex military 350 from being a pile of rust into a nice bike that he enjoyed riding well into his 60s.

First thing will be to remove the panniers and pillion seat because there’s no point having a wife with a full licence if I’ve got to cart her around the countryside on an under powered slug :beerjug:

I saw one of those on Thursday , it looked really great in black and gold , and I & was going to post the dealer details & recommend it before I saw this post . :thumb

I’m dropping in at the dealers on my way to Pembroke this afternoon so unless I do a complete U turn on the idea I’ll be coughing up the money and trying to ensure I’m off work for a week in the near future so I can collect it and try to get it to the first service. The only thing that might sway me is that I was originally looking for a matt black stealth version of the 500 but the dodgy bastard dealer pointed out the version I’ve paid the deposit on and I changed my mind.

It does seem that Facebook is the place to go for most things RE related which is unfortunate due to my long standing dismissal of Facebook :blast
I am not a fan of Facebook either, I used to use my wife's account to lurk but only joined it for the groups and for marketplace, everything else can GTF

Don’t do it,

They are not very engaging,

Get the 650 instead.:augie

I’d agree, I think .
Not rode a 500 for years but I’ve ridden my mates 650 and it’s fabulous . He’s fitted some cheap. (£300 a pair) slip ons and it sounds ace.
Some nice colours available too.

4a49f43ce80db13eb25d67411bc6889f.jpg

Don’t do it,

They are not very engaging,

Get the 650 instead.:augie

I did give a fair degree of consideration to the Continental GT but decided that sooner or later I’ll register and insure my Commando and there’s no point in having both.

I did give a fair degree of consideration to the Continental GT but decided that sooner or later I’ll register and insure my Commando and there’s no point in having both.

I too thought they would be great for around the lanes, it’s all lanes around here, but the gearbox is shit, and it’s not very engaging,

I hated it, it was neither good for the lanes, or for anything else, the quality was iffy,

I decided if I wanted a Classic for the lanes I would have a classic, so bought a Moto Guzzi Lodola, 235cc it’s much more suitable and engaging, even though it’s got a 60mph top speed

Duties being shared between that and my Convert, which is great at lanes, it does everything fantastically at legal speeds, though is a little heavy, but the extra size useful if the wife tags along

I too thought they would be great for around the lanes, it’s all lanes around here, but the gearbox is shit, and it’s not very engaging,

I hated it, it was neither good for the lanes, or for anything else, the quality was iffy,

I decided if I wanted a Classic for the lanes I would have a classic, so bought a Moto Guzzi Lodola, 235cc it’s much more suitable and engaging, even though it’s got a 60mph top speed

Duties being shared between that and my Convert, which is great at lanes, it does everything fantastically at legal speeds, though is a little heavy, but the extra size useful if the wife tags along

Points taken onboard.

I rode a 500 demo bike a while ago and thought the gearbox was very clunky but then I rode one belonging to a friend that had about 3k miles on it and everything felt much smoother including a big reduction in vibration.

The biggest thing will be getting used to the serious reduction in speed even compared to pottering around on my 501 which encourages me to ride like an idiot though my brother in law has an old Triumph 3TA that he’s suddenly getting excited about riding because he thinks it’ll be faster than the Enfield :D

Points taken onboard.

I rode a 500 demo bike a while ago and thought the gearbox was very clunky but then I rode one belonging to a friend that had about 3k miles on it and everything felt much smoother including a big reduction in vibration.

The biggest thing will be getting used to the serious reduction in speed even compared to pottering around on my 501 which encourages me to ride like an idiot though my brother in law has an old Triumph 3TA that he’s suddenly getting excited about riding because he thinks it’ll be faster than the Enfield :D

Mine used to weave at 75, which was its top speed,

You didn’t slow down as it made it more interesting :D

Mine had done 4000 miles and the gearbox was crap,

I used to fix and service them and I never rode one with a decent gearbox,

My favourite was the older ones, get it past TDC and give it a big kick and away she goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom