Why is my battery so big

Mad Hatter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m new to airhead ownership and one thing that surprises me is just how big the battery is on my bike (R80GS Basic). It’s 32 amp/hours for Chris’ sake. That’s big enough for a car let alone an 800cc bike. Does anyone know why the batteries are so big one these bikes?...

I feel that they standardised it across the range.
If you go to extreme I.e R100RT with loads of extras, large displacement twin cylinder with no decompression and basic pre engage starter motor needs some CCA.
Add also that an airhead with lights, heated grips etc will not provide a good charging voltage at idle, so a battery reserve is necessary.
These are just my thoughts. :)

From my recollection of airhead days, its because they operate in a total loss system :D

I’m new to airhead ownership and one thing that surprises me is just how big the battery is on my bike (R80GS Basic). It’s 32 amp/hours for Chris’ sake. That’s big enough for a car let alone an 800cc bike. Does anyone know why the batteries are so big one these bikes?...

Because you can’t kickstart it.

After the Odyssey battery failed on my 100GS I fitted a smaller 20AH Motobatt as fitted to the 80G/S. The battery tray has clips to allow for this using the same battery straps and I’ve made a slim box to fit in the unused space which holds all sorts of spare bits and bobs. Never had a problem with starting the bike.

Adding to what the others have said, battery technology has improved over the last 40 years, so you'll probably get more oomph out of a smaller modern battery now.

At this point I'd like to write the comparative equations between storage, charging and discharge between old and new batteries, but, I'm not that clever.

I'm using smaller Gel batteries across my fleet. My Odyssey one must be about 20 years old and is on a bike that has a clock... The 'spec' lead acid batteries, on some models, mean you have to dismantle part of the bike to remove/install the battery! What sense is that!!

From my recollection of airhead days, its because they operate in a total loss system :D

So true.
About six years ago I bought a nice old R100RS, loved it, but leave it 2 or 3 days & it would n't start whatever battery was in it. Short journeys were n't enough to charge it.
The ULEZ charging in London means i'll never own another, but do modern batteries & charging mods sort this problem ?

So true.
About six years ago I bought a nice old R100RS, loved it, but leave it 2 or 3 days & it would n't start whatever battery was in it. Short journeys were n't enough to charge it.
The ULEZ charging in London means i'll never own another, but do modern batteries & charging mods sort this problem ?
400 and 600 watt alternators are available now,added to better rectifiers/regulators,
No reason why an airhead can’t be a daily user bike.
My scrambler airhead has sat in a container for 12 months,lithium battery and alternator upgrades ,started straight up.

Back
Top Bottom