Scotland Sept 2020 ...sorry it's late.

Rusty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here we go. I know so many of you will have done this but Scotland is lovely and is so beautiful that I don't think you can get enough of it. This was an 8 day trip with 3 of us from the south coast to the very northern tip. Great campsites along the way so I shall post up their details. It was early Sept between lockdowns and we had clearly missed the masses as most sites were telling us "You should have seen it a few days ago ... rammed !"
I may post this up over the next few days and add bits as I go.

Day 1 was pretty uneventful arriving at Green Lane Caravan & Campsite Whitchurch Shropshire SY13 2AH just after 430 and 232 dry miles. Beer & food from the nearby petrol station. Nice and tidy, very empty. had it virtually to ourselves.

zFcldhx.jpg

43yiUVc.jpeg

Day 2 Was up to Lockerbie staying at Bruce's Cave Camping & Caravan site DG11 3AT. This was a good place to set up. Excellent washing and showers nice and clean too. Arrived after a wet day taking luncheon on route in McDonalds Lancashire. A very wet 206 miles...

kHG4FlE.jpeg

And this was a good site ... recommended. :)

IcE6L0p.jpeg

And so into Scotland proper. Now 240 miles to Invercoe Camp Site PH49 4HP. About 5 1/2hrs of riding a wet second half and a bit of motorway to make up the time. Once again great shower and washing facilities with a massive covered picnic area that we commandeered as the place was almost empty. It was ideal to put our kit in and just sit around eat drink and chat as you do under a bit of hard cover.

R5OhOlG.jpeg

PBwPxIi.jpeg

Here are just a few scenic photos from the entire journey.......

v9QkSdW.jpg

And another.

BfCtATY.jpeg

D59KE3T.jpeg

Now up to Ullapool. The Ardmair Point Campsite IV26 2TN. 240 miles. Lovely slow day taking in all the scenery. Stopped at the shops for Haggis and veg and beer. This place again was lovely and clean, even had a laundrette to dry my wet towel and kit in ! Something you miss after even just a few days away.

VAGddUy.jpg

JFg9rrV.jpg

I'll do a bit more on Monday sort out some more photos and finish off. :)

great
but you need more food pictures for this forum surely?

Lol, I’m glad you’ve finally got around to doing this write up, if you’d left it much longer you’d be up in Scotland again before telling us about the last one. Did you take all the photos on the iPhone?

I meant to add, the black panniers look great. :thumb2

Luvverly job so far! :thumb2
Coleman Firepower burner? :nenau I have two. Great little cookers. :thumb2

Luvverly job so far! :thumb2
Coleman Firepower burner? :nenau I have two. Great little cookers. :thumb2

Bang on with the Coleman. Wouldn't take anything else. 100% reliable. Cheers.

Lol, I’m glad you’ve finally got around to doing this write up, if you’d left it much longer you’d be up in Scotland again before telling us about the last one. Did you take all the photos on the iPhone?

I meant to add, the black panniers look great. :thumb2

I know ...all good things come to those who wait ! Yes they are all off the Iphone .. the 12 max will be awesome. Finish it off tomorrow.

So here we go for part 2.

Up to Thurso staying at The Windhaven Camp Site. Described as "the most northerly campsite and B&B on the mainland". Clearly it was. We were well looked after by the owner who let us once again store our kit and take refuge in his "snug". A purpose built place with a bar, plenty of space, benches great for entertaining and again I send my thanks to him for his hospitality :thumb2. Literally a couple of minutes down to some stunning beaches with no one about except for the colony of seals. Bloody lovely.

RerIiaB.jpg

And so down to the beach .... as described, just booootiful

YAmK3JT.jpg

There is more
TpnSSX8l.jpg

We popped across to Dunnet Head which of course is well documented here and well photgraphe so why not have another ?

wGgApSs.jpeg

The next day we were off, not far, down to Barns Highland Campsite at Nairn IV12 5NY. Really wet morning but cleared to sunshine and even a bit of warmth as we neared the site. This place is big and clean, super showers and toilets, porta cabins for washing up and tumble dryers .. tokens from reception. Again it was quiet and that suited us just fine.

Then down to Selkirk on our way south to stay with an old friend of one of the team. A sheep farmer in a delightful farm house with huge barns and plenty of space... no outdoor camping for us. Up with the tents in one of the barns and all under cover .. proper 5*. The lovely lady of the house cooked us dinner and were so welcoming to us. It was lovely to experience some real hospitality from people I had never met before.

FAjT47Z.jpg

Then for our nearly last day we headed back down souff and into England. This has to be one of the most challenging couple of hours I have ever had on a bike ... it was WINDY proper windy and i thought a fully laden GSA would sit just fine but we blown about and i had to fight to stay on. No where to go and shelter just had to get on with it. Bloody Hell ! Anyway we managed it and came through to some decent southern weather to round the trip off.

q1f9HP9.jpg

We stayed into the Threntfield Farm Campsite in Retford DN22 0NJ. This again was clean and tidy with plenty of space. Campsites have got themselves together havn't they ? Much better than in the old days where everything was shit. Now it is really good service and decent facilities.
So there you go, not all the photos by any means but just thought I would share a bit of Scottish love with you in these "nearly end of lockdown" times.

X1EqavF.jpg

ix6B9KN.jpg

THE END.

That last photo looks like a shot of the headless rider! :eek:

Great little write up, many thanks for taking the time to do it. Not long now till the next trip up North. :okay

:):) I know, time is flying, like everyone else here, just can't wait to get out out :thumb

Back
Top Bottom