seat securing bolt

fizzer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
so it wont tighten because the collar in the seat is turning ,any bright ideas for a fix

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_121042.jpg
    IMG_20210404_121042.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 168
Hi Fizzer, I recall someone else had a similar issue,
Are you still using the original t 30 head bolt, does it still screw in all the way or has it cross threaded turning the insert ,
It is fiddly to line up, I replaced the bolt with a thumbscrew as it was so fiddly to line up I could see cross thread issues and didn't want to use tools, Ebay sellers do something similar,
looking at the photo drill into the as viewed bottom area of plastic and up into the insert to allow a machine screw to be tapped into the hole securing it,
or a self tapper worked in with a bit of thread lock on after first screwing it in to cut a thread,
I expect the insert is larger on the inside to prevent it pulling out ,so just stopping it turning and cleaning up the threads should do it,
I didn't use the off the shelf replacement tool less e bay one , I used a plastic knob with 6 mm thread,
I needed a longer thread as I use a hepco Becker mini rack and givi 33 l top box, which needed a spacer in the seat bush where the bolt mounts to lift the seat to clear the brackets,
Roamer

Had same issue on my Turban.
The bolt then cross-threaded .
My lovely dealer drilled it out for the bargain sum of £160 including a £25 test ride fee. Utter cûnts!
Refused to pay.
I then had to buy a new seat anyway .
It’s a crap design .

yeh a bit of fiddling and the collar has come out ,to easy really ,so i am going to gorrilla glue it back in ,see how that works

An option maybe once repaired use a stud and thumb nut. At least any problem will not be the seat side of things.

Is the bike still in warranty - if so your dealer should should just replace the seat as they did on my Scrambler.

The trick is to always start screwing the bolt in by hand to make sure it is not crossed threaded and never over tighten it!

It is a stupid design but fine as long as you are very careful ;)

You need Epoxy or similar to lock it in

the problem being if you apply a huge torque, it will spin.

The other way depending on your level of expertise is a penny washer (or similar) making sure the hole is wide enough for you bolt

and then drill and self tap the over the original stud so it makes a cap

Looking at the pictures , you appear to have quite a bit of land around the stud

mmm well the gorilla glue didnt work ,still spins ,yes its till got a few months warrantee on the bike ,probs not worth the phone call i know what they will say .i will have a look on what you guys have suggested

Back
Top Bottom