1150 gsa W507 AOT

I would reckon a bike that's been through 10 people and 100k miles looking that clean has definitely had a few bits swapped. Maybe the last owner got it and restored it a bit? Different engine and the clocks off the same bike? Although if this was the case I'm sure there's be receipts....

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Wheels & rear seat assembly off a later bike as well. It’s not just a few parts it’s the entire bike that doesn’t fit with a year 2000 bike.

No, the 1150 GSA wasn't released to the public until Spring 2002,

Is it advertised as an GSA ?.. Or is it simply a GS been converted to look like a GSA by fitting a GSA tank and seat tailpiece, which a lot of owners have done over the years.

Plenty of warning signs for me to walk away.

Registered as GS when GSA's weren't available but it has GSA forks, screen, tank, seat, and rear rack. Plus the 2001> twin spark engine.

There is always the other option that it was a GSA with a 2000 GS headstock fitted and assumed the identity of the 2000 GS.

Wheels & rear seat assembly off a later bike as well. It’s not just a few parts it’s the entire bike that doesn’t fit with a year 2000 bike.

I agree - it has the blue front forks - the early ones were silver, also it has no manual on/side/off light switch which came in in about 2002 IIRC? (Although I have an '02 that does still have the switch). Also, the rear wheel and hub look painted rather than anodised. No biggie but all asking questions. Personally unless the owner can give a very thorough and plausible account of what's going on with this bike I wouldn't touch it. There are much better examples FS on this site right now.

Is it advertised as an GSA ?.. Or is it simply a GS been converted to look like a GSA by fitting a GSA tank and seat tailpiece, which a lot of owners have done over the years.
The VIN would solve that puzzle wouldn't it?

I'm just wondering what the problem is with it being a bike made of differing bits? After all, bikes are made with parts. I guess there are some differing parts between the adventure and the normal GS isn't the drive shaft different between the two and doesn't the gearbox have an extra gear?

But if it looks alright and rides alright then

If you're buying it to sell it on then I see the issue but if you're buying it to ride it to death then cool.
Well, that's the reasoning I had when I got my GSA with no history and that one looks a lot tidier than the one I bought.

A few receipts would be nice though I guess regarding the mileage discrepancy. Like what is the difference between the new clock mileage and the old and is it the same 100k engine.

I'm just wondering what the problem is with it being a bike made of differing bits? After all, bikes are made with parts.

None in theory I guess - but what would worry me is the condition of those parts, and more importantly - who put them together? If they are donated parts, how many miles has that engine/gearbox/final drive really done for example? It's not like the bike is especially cheap either.... :nenau

None in theory I guess - but what would worry me is the condition of those parts, and more importantly - who put them together? If they are donated parts, how many miles has that engine/gearbox/final drive really done for example? It's not like the bike is especially cheap either.... :nenau
Yeah that's true. The prices do seem to be climbing for these bikes though....

I’d be quite happy to look at it, at the right price...

My 2000 model W-reg 1150 has an Adv tank and I considered swapping to a similar seat, but decided I prefer the std single-seat option. I have a set of twin-spark rocker covers to change over sometime soon just so it refreshes the look as I refurb the magnesium ones I fitted many years ago.

Seriously, I would be expecting a certain amount of upgrading/refreshing of a bike that’s 21yrs old and has been used as intended. I’d check into those items that I think would be surprising/unusual, like changing forks for those from a servo-braked version, etc, and do a thorough background check of any history or documentation I could find.

I agree - it has the blue front forks - the early ones were silver, also it has no manual on/side/off light switch which came in in about 2002 IIRC? (Although I have an '02 that does still have the switch). Also, the rear wheel and hub look painted rather than anodised. No biggie but all asking questions. Personally unless the owner can give a very thorough and plausible account of what's going on with this bike I wouldn't touch it. There are much better examples FS on this site right now.

Current owner is into motorcross then gave me an explanation about how his fz1 Fazer is more preferable, bought before lockdown off some old boy, has had many *upgrades and services all done" also recent cam chain done. He was honest in saying he didn't know too much about it.

Other than that he couldn't tell me anything other than "its quiet and smooth" so that was the only thing that seemed odd.

Wish it wasn't 300 miles away.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I’d be quite happy to look at it, at the right price...

My 2000 model W-reg 1150 has an Adv tank and I considered swapping to a similar seat, but decided I prefer the std single-seat option. I have a set of twin-spark rocker covers to change over sometime soon just so it refreshes the look as I refurb the magnesium ones I fitted many years ago.

Seriously, I would be expecting a certain amount of upgrading/refreshing of a bike that’s 21yrs old and has been used as intended. I’d check into those items that I think would be surprising/unusual, like changing forks for those from a servo-braked version, etc, and do a thorough background check of any history or documentation I could find.

Twin spark rocker covers on a single spark bike, have you checked they fit?

As for the op, all I can say is buyer beware. Too many unusual things with this bike not to be ringing alarm bells.

True, but from the headstock back (incl GSA head guards) it looks like it's from an Adv, but who can tell?

Maybe crashed GSA, owner bought a knackered W plate bike to use the front subframe so that the bike isn't wearing a "write-off" category and got a set of secondhand forks at the same time.

Twin spark rocker covers on a single spark bike, have you checked they fit?

Are you genuinely interested?

As for the op, all I can say is buyer beware. Too many unusual things with this bike not to be ringing alarm bells.

Agreed. It’s the same in all purchases, though, and this could be a very nice purchase for someone at the right price (not necessarily the £3100 being asked ;))

Are you genuinely interested?

Agreed. It’s the same in all purchases, though, and this could be a very nice purchase for someone at the right price (not necessarily the £3100 being asked ;))

Actually yes, it opens up a whole new source of covers if I want to replace the damaged one on the bike I have up for sale. It’s something I hadn’t considered.

Actually yes...

Leave it with me and I’ll let you know when I swap them.

I paid £50 for the magnesium one’s I’ve already swapped to some years ago, after I put a hole in one of the originals and I’ve just paid £50 for a pair of twinspark ones that I’m looking at swapping to when I get a minute. AFAIK they’re all basically the same fitments throughout the 1100/1150 range.

Clearly not a GS Adventure, but is it being sold as one? If so, it’s a wrong’un!

It’s clearly a GS that has been ‘Adventurised’, as many have done in the past and others will do in the future. The problem really boils down to the price and owner history - as with all vehicles...

I don’t think £3.1k is particularly cheap, for a 21 year old bike with no service history. With the seller having had it for a year and countless others, you have no clue what’s been done, when, by who or how. It could be completely above board, or completely dodgy! Either way, you have to compare it to GS prices, not GSA’s because that’s what it is.

Personally, I’d go for something with more of a history, even if it was a GS which I then Adventurised myself, especially if it’s going to need to be reliable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom