What kind of Torque Wrench do I need?

TOG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all

Gonna be doing some service work on my bikes. Before I make an expensive mistake an buy the wrong item. Any advice on what kind of torque wrench I will need? Thinking of Derby cover on my Dyna, sump plugs etc but also other bikes. I know some of you will hand tighten and guess some bolts. Which I will also do, but some of them seem a bit more important.

Thanks

Halfords own Torque wrenches are pretty good tools at a reasonable price for home servicing.

The problem whatever torque wrench you go for is that you will more than likely need 2 - as, as far as I know one manufacturer doesn't cover the whole range of torque's on any bike

So if looking at Halfords, you'll use the torque wrench with the lower range (https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...s-advanced-torque-wrench-model-60-488695.html) more for general servicing, but need the higher range (https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...-advanced-torque-wrench-model-300-488729.html ) for instances outside of that range (typically wheel nuts etc)

I went with the Halfords 'professional' range, and as mentioned above needed two, one for lower ranges, one for higher ranges. I've been really happy with them.

RBW.

Lidl have good quality Torque Wrenches in at the moment for £20

Lidl have good quality Torque Wrenches in at the moment for £20
Second that, I've got some snap-on wrenches but Lidl was cheap and needed one for in the shed at the caravan, its better than expected.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Same as post 5 but buy from amazon, not to cheap not to snapon price.

I too use Halfords professional range. Get a 3/8 drive and a 1/4 drive.

For the experts. Is a torque wrench reliable when using an adapter ? I’m think of using a 3/4F1/2M adapter for a 1/2 socket.

I got draper one covers most stuff on the GS

For the experts. Is a torque wrench reliable when using an adapter ? I’m think of using a 3/4F1/2M adapter for a 1/2 socket.

Yes it’s ok. There’s no losses as your not using a mechanical multiplier

I read someone's "Bad Luck" tale about adapting a 1/2" drive down to 3/8" or was it even down to 1/4" sockets. It ended in tears.

I'm all for even tightening and/or ensuring sufficient tightening, but anything under around 20Nm is getting close to finger tight plus a wee bit.

You need to have a feel for things at lower levels.

As an aside, last week I was refitting some domestic sockets and switches and asked grandchild No.1 how tight these should be. "As tight as you can" was the reply - so then followed a "just tight enough" lesson :)

I'm all for even tightening and/or ensuring sufficient tightening, but anything under around 20Nm is getting close to finger tight plus a wee bit.

You need to have a feel for things at lower levels.

Very true, feel is essential even with a torque wrench

Also, a useful technique when using low torque settings is to “crack” the wrench a couple of times on a fastener that is at a higher torque to “set” the wrench at the new torque

For example, if you want to tighten a bolt to 10NM, set the wrench to 10NM then crack it a couple of times on a wheel nut or whatever before you tighten the actual bolt you are torqueing up to 10NM

Very boringly, I am also going to highly recommend the Halfords Pro range torque wrenches. Keep your receipt as they have a lifetime guarantee. I bought a Silverline torque wrench before these two Halford jobs and although it was cheap and no doubt did the job, I just didn't trust the torque gauge.

The Halfords warranty an their torque wrenches seems to be dependent on you getting them calibrated every 18 months at your expense.

“ Halfords Advanced Lifetime Guarantee for Torque Wrenches

The Lifetime Guarantee for our Halfords Advanced torque wrenches is conditional on you being able to produce a valid Declaration of Conformance (previously known as a ‘calibration certificate’) when you request a replacement. For the purpose of this guarantee, certificates are valid for 18 months from the date of purchase or re-calibration (whichever is most recent).

Torque wrenches can be re-calibrated at the customer’s cost from any recognised re-calibration service including our recommended service, Norbar.”

Back
Top Bottom