Fitting 2nd Hand Speedo and Clocks

OldCroc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an import 2008 F650GS Twin. I have been considering replacing the KMH speedo and clocks unit for a MPH one. There are plenty on fleabay. My question is where is the current mileage of the bike stored - in the clocks or the ECU? Do of I for a set of clocks from a bike that has 60k miles to my bike with 2k miles what will the mileometer show? BMW dealer has been not very helpful here! Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

I think the mileage is stored in the ECU. So you fit new clocks and up comes the stored number.
I half remember a thread on one of the forums where someone changed the units from kilometers to miles using a GS911. I found a bit of tape on the clocks works OK indicating 30 & 70MPH on the spedo of an imported car I once had.
Good luck. Sure someone must have done it

Balders

Hi,

I think the mileage is stored in the ECU. So you fit new clocks and up comes the stored number.
I half remember a thread on one of the forums where someone changed the units from kilometers to miles using a GS911. I found a bit of tape on the clocks works OK indicating 30 & 70MPH on the spedo of an imported car I once had.
Good luck. Sure someone must have done it

Balders

Thanks Balders. I have changed all the digital readouts from km to ml with Motoscan. Also added things like tyre pressure sensors and coded these to the bike. I think it is possible to buy new transfers to go under the glass which changes the kn to mls as well which may be the way to go.

Well I got a Speedo fascia printed by a firm in Germany and fitted it today. Getting the clocks off was easy. Fitting the new face easy enough but fiddly getting the pointer to point to zero. Ended up doing it on the bike with the cable connected as when switched off the pointer falls below zero when you switch on it sweeps round and then tested on zero.

Putting the three circlips back on was a game especially the bottom one and needed forceps to do the job!
44950719c0aa1b4a41bda8f7cc294725.jpg

But all in all a good result.

09b3c78f8af792a107d7c12b492892fb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom