Wobbly windshield

TomP

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys. I’ve just added a spoiler to the top of the windshield on my 2015 plate GSA TE. It works well, but means that I now don’t need the screen at its topmost setting like before. Best position with the spoiler in place is a couple of inches lower than fully up.

Trouble is, at any position other than full up or full down, the screen has a definite wobble. I’ve had a quick check that nothing obvious has come undone, and come to the conclusion there is some slack within the winder mechanism that is causing the wobble.

I can’t find anything about how the tension is applied. I’m assuming that it’s a bit like the spring in a clockwork motor. I didn’t just want to go undoing screws and have everything suddenly coming undone. There’s nothing in the Haynes manual (is there ever?).

Is it possible to “re-tension” the mechanism that winds the screen up and down, please, and what’s the best way?

Thanks.

Tom

Hi guys. I’ve just added a spoiler to the top of the windshield on my 2015 plate GSA TE. It works well, but means that I now don’t need the screen at its topmost setting like before. Best position with the spoiler in place is a couple of inches lower than fully up.

Trouble is, at any position other than full up or full down, the screen has a definite wobble. I’ve had a quick check that nothing obvious has come undone, and come to the conclusion there is some slack within the winder mechanism that is causing the wobble.

I can’t find anything about how the tension is applied. I’m assuming that it’s a bit like the spring in a clockwork motor. I didn’t just want to go undoing screws and have everything suddenly coming undone. There’s nothing in the Haynes manual (is there ever?).

Is it possible to “re-tension” the mechanism that winds the screen up and down, please, and what’s the best way?

Thanks.

Tom

Best way, and very good quality English.

https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/gs--gsa-lc-adjustable-screen-strengthening-brackets-478-p.asp

They all have a small amount of movement, fitting a screen spoiler obviously adds a bit more weight on the mechanism and makes it worse. Fit a set of screen supports to cure it...

The wobble is there so that the screen don't crack like they used to do with the hexhead. If it bothers you the answer is in post #2.

I fitted a Puig touring screen with their screen supports. My screen is now noticeably more secure than the original without the supports (I can do a direct comparison).

I have tightened the support bolts to remove adjustability, which probably makes it even more firm.

Got the Cymarc brackets to fit to an MRA screen which wobbled and was distracting
The brackets are good quality and fit well but didn't eliminate the wobble a lot unless at lowest adjustment but is either less distracting or I have got used to it
Don't know if it is just with the MRA screen

Back
Top Bottom