Overnight Stay near Plymouth

Deleted account 210609001

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone recommend a hotel or B&B, within an hour max of Plymouth ferry port? Ideally somewhere quiet where I won't have to worry about the bike getting nicked, trashed, crushed or mashed; and with evening meal available on site or walking distance?

Not needed until June 2022 - assuming life is back to normal by then.

Thanks in advance,

Q.

Hi

Can anyone recommend a hotel or B&B, within an hour max of Plymouth ferry port? Ideally somewhere quiet where I won't have to worry about the bike getting nicked, trashed, crushed or mashed; and with evening meal available on site or walking distance?

Thanks in advance,

Q.

Duchy House B&B at Princetown

40 mins from ferry port, in beautiful Dartmoor moorland town

Fine view of the prison, no scotes

Pub next door or Plume of Feathers 100 yds up road

Jeez...there's forward planning, and there's..... :D :augie

You...any place recommended...even the planet, may not exist then. :D

I’d like a recommendation for one but only for a visit in 2024 and then, only for three or more nights.

That’s why Princetown is perfect

Many a good GS rider has overnighted there

Safe and scenic

October 2019 I disembarked the ferry and within 45 mins I was at Duchy House

Good job I had booked it .......as the ferry was 3 hours late arriving in Plymouth and the last thing I wanted was a ride home through the night

Well, knowing the area well, he was being a bit of a naive twat. Seriously though Plymouth centre doesn't have much secure parking at all and even the larger hotel parking isn't that great. I know a great B&B at West Hoe close enough to throw stones at the ferries in Millbay Dock and with decent food choice nearby but no parking apart from on the street (which is chargeable but I'd probably risk for one night).

Another consideration is the Moorland Hotel at Wotter also on Dartmoor where the only things likely to bother your bike in the car park are sheep, Dartmoor ponies (no cattle grid) and chickens. Hotel is
family-run, has a half-decent restaurant and is roughly 30 mins to Millbay Docks depending on traffic. I've stayed there a few times during the pandemic and it's a bit on the cheap'n cheerful side but reasonable VFM. Usually able to park the bike right outside the hotel entrance which is away from the road - probably worth giving them a call to see if they have anywhere to park the bike.

Quite by chance, we linked up with the big Plymouth ride-in next morning, so hooked up with hundreds of bikers near Ivybridge, all heading for their meeting at The Hoe.

Sounds awful.

Thanks, all.

We've pulled the plug in this year's trip and can only book Brittany ferries for 2022 from Plymouth at the moment. Don't fancy the 5-hour ride to Plymouth on the day of departure, so looking at a leisurely ride down the day before. A lot might happen between now and then, of course...

A couple of years ago our ferry was hugely delayed Roscoff- Plymouth due to weather, docking at 10pm instead of 2pm. Not fancying a 6+ hour ride home in the dark, while we were still in Plymouth Sound I picked the Dartmoor Lodge at Ashburton more or less at random from booking.com, phoned them, got a significantly better price and off we went. It was fine, just off the A38, the bike was parked just below our motel-style room in the car park. It was dark and quiet so we had a great nights sleep. Breakfast, was well, a hotel breakfast and a mix of buffet stuff and a plated freshly cooked breakfast. I think it’s popular for weddings though so probably not the best for a Friday or Saturday stay.

http://www.dartmoorlodge.co.uk/

Why not use either of the Premier Inns close to the Barbican so you can just walk to a choice of pubs and restaurants? It’s about 20 minutes peak time travel from there to the ferry and if you tuck the bike away in a corner with a lock attached it’ll be as safe as anywhere short of being in a locked garage.

A lot of the hotels closer to the delights of Union St don’t have car parks so are best avoided but I’d be happy parking at the Premier Inn. Be warned, there are 2 within about 50 yards of each other and another one a couple of miles out with nothing to commend it apart from the standard bar and restaurant which are the same wherever you go in the country.

Crowne Plaza, nice pool, underground parking,top restaurant, can be pricey or can be quite reasonable depending on the actual booking or if you join their club etc etc
Amazing views over Plymouth sound from the restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom