Another Sunbeam...

It could well be Micky! I believe we have a mutual Friend, Leigh Newbould?

Registration numbers say it's not the same 'bike Smudge .... I think that WMH 536 now shows as a 1000cc

I've known Leigh Newbould for over forty years :D:thumb

:beerjug:

Registration numbers say it's not the same 'bike Smudge .... I think that WMH 536 now shows as a 1000cc

I've known Leigh Newbould for over forty years :D:thumb

:beerjug:

He's a clever lad alright, and a genuine one...

Some progress!

Its been quiet on the bike front as i have been really busy with work, but never really took my eye off the ball regarding the bikes...

Firstly the tank, I had the tank welded by a 'Professional' welder (Ahem)...

I could have honestly done a better job myself, it was crap. Too top it all, it leaked like a knackered fridge, I was so disappointed i could have quite literally cried..

I asked the guy before he took on the job if he thought he could do it, and he said yes. I asked him could he make it fuel tight, again he said yes, but could not 100% guarantee this and suggested i sealed it after welding, which i agreed would be a good idea.

Now in hindsight i should have ran for the hills then, but the guy was quite confident, and we agreed a price.

When i collected it i was disappointed, and told him so. Im no welder but i reckon i could have done a better job. Things got a little awkward when it came to payment, small business in an industrial estate, he had a mate with him, and i was told it had to be paid or he wouldn't release the tank, i was over a barrel, so paid.

Long story short i have sealed it, but it still leaks, gaps i think were too big and the sealant (POR 15) left the odd tiny gap which of course is all petrol needs.

So, i have a tank that is basically useless, I'm so pissed off i have trouble talking about it. I don't do dirty laundry in public, but will happily share the places name on a PM basis with anyone in my area as id hate anyone else to go there for welding...

Moving on...

I had the inverted levers plated. I thought for a long time over 'Chrome or Nickel' and eventually went with Nickel. I am very pleased with the results, there are a few marks on them but that's through choice, didn't want them to 'stand out' too much, fitted them today and they look good!!

Attachments

• IMG_5636.jpg
    IMG_5636.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5638.jpg
    IMG_5638.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5639.jpg
    IMG_5639.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5640.jpg
    IMG_5640.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5641.jpg
    IMG_5641.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 111
I’d be gutted if I’d ended up with that result and if he has a Facebook page I’d hammer it big time.

I would also be mightily 'pissed off' with that result.

What was his response when you told him that you were 'disappointed'?

He refused to release it without payment. Thats a red flag to me.

Did he offer to 're-work' it?

The tank does 2 things - holds petrol without leaks and is the crowning glory of the bike.

Seems like he failed on one or both of those things.

Still, on a positive note, the levers look good. I do like the mellow tone that you get from nickel.

It's coming on nicely Steve.

If it helps, CW Classics at Rayleigh come recommended by a buddy of mine when it comes to tank fabrication jobs, but pretty pricey by all accounts.

Back
Top Bottom