g/s led headlight upgrade plus more juice

oldnfat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know this has been done before but I thought I would share my recent experience. I stumbled across a write up by Gary Burton on the BAMW Facebook page where he was looking to get more juice out of a standard charging set up. I have implemented the complete set up about a month ago and have to say I am very pleased with the results.

The upgraded regulator/rectifier works a treat and cost much less than the motobins etc sites. All the LED upgrades have worked well but particularly the headlight. I like running with the light on during the day and wanted something more powerful than the current candle AND take less draw. I have run this H4 light for a number of extended runs...longest 4 hours in one go and the light is very bright plus stays cool.

Overall the bike ran with lights and heated jacket with no problems over an extended time. By my calcs I could also run heated grips as well if needed.

Night before last I did a evening run to see how the light pattern performed and it worked well. High beam keeps low beam on so you get depth and spread. Down side is that I have had to remove the rubber boot on the back of the light housing BUT so far seems to be performing well. Also worth noting my bike was MOTD recently and passed with no comment.

Cheers

07E1506E-412C-46EF-BCAE-52D5009F67E5.jpg

Sounds good, could you possibly put more detail please, parts/prices, etc. Can't seem to source the relevant BAMW page?
Cheers

Pics with the eBay order details attached... I have a load of the led side lights- PM with your address and I will pop a couple in the post.

Cheers

10C3333F-A910-4BF9-A9EE-0E7ACCDE24E3.jpg52C21DEC-2CC7-477E-9BDF-BB580B664FA0.jpg

Don’t the earliest G/s models become MOT and tax free next year?

That looks bright, what sort of wattage is it?

Yes they do but mine passed anyway. Light is 100W according to the spec if you scroll down far enough on the eBay page.

Pics with the eBay order details attached... I have a load of the led side lights- PM with your address and I will pop a couple in the post.

Cheers

All ordered, thanks for the tip looking forward to better night vision!
Cheers :thumb2

Agreed.

It would appear from the very 'woolly' wording, it is the beam pattern/cut off and aim that are the testable criteria.

I expect that we have all experienced LED converted headlights coming towards us in the dark, headlights just flooding light out with no cut off.

Cheers

View attachment 493807View attachment 493808

Thanks very much for posting.
Fitted the headlight this morning - looks much brighter!:thumby:

Bit of a fiddle on R100GS - not much room for large hands!
In the end much easier if you remove the front mudguard.

If you have any LED sidelights left I’d appreciate a couple?
Happy to cover cost etc.
Cheers
Richard

I fitted LED to the R100GS, bulb had good reviews and the beam pattern seems pretty sharp. Not all bulbs have their led positioned to give similar pattern to a filament bulb. Some seem to be desperately poor scattering their light in all directions and I've seen a few on the road which may all well have had their high beams on.

Previous thread with some pics of the bulb I used. https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/474270-Paralever-Headlight/page4?highlight=Led

Back
Top Bottom