BT landline question

MickDB1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hello there.
Hopefully I can get some info from someone off here.
I have a brother who lives 90 miles away from me and he is deaf.
He manages with internet through a router that works off a sim card - seems like a mobile phone do dah from 3
It does work but on my first visit to his home since 14month ago I tested his wi fi and he only gets 2 to 3 mb of supply.
I recon its a wank supply/area but no matter where we put the router/receiver it no worky any better than 3
There is a BT wall socket in his apartment and we know the last Tennent had Talk Talk. We also have found the old Landline number.
Its at least 10 years sice it was used for a telephone.
My question is how the bugger do I start in getting it back as a broadband supply for his communications etc.
Any help is grateful.
I can only text my brother instructions I thought if anyone knew a number or owt I could ring and talk to a human being.
Cheers if you know owt
PS his address is in Blackpool Lancs

Thanks for looking :thumby: :thumby:

Sounds as though the landline service has been discontinued at some point in the past.

A request to BT for reconnection of the service is the starting point.

Would you know if I have to just ring BT or would that be TalkTalk or openreach or some other company like Blackpool telephone exchange ( if there is such a place)
Thanks for help

First thing to do is see what's available for him. Go to https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL , scroll down to the bottom and use the address checker as a phone number search only works for BT customers but address check should find the property. If the BT line is still connected, which I'd think is unlikely, then any company using the Openreach network (BT, TalkTalk, Sky and PlusNet spring to mind but not VirginMedia as they have their own network) should be able to provide a service. If it's not connected then what he'll almost certainly be offered is FFTC (Fibre to the cabinet) which still comes into the property down a traditional telephone line. Again, any company using Openreach should be able to sort it but there will almost certainly be be buggering about in a green cabinet near to his home (which he won't need to worry about) and possibly a visit to the property if it doesn't work.

Just done it.
Do a search for BT broadband.

I chose broadband without a phone.
They posted the router out to me.
Openreach engineer came round, connected the line, installed the router, and checked everything before he left.
Excellent service and competitively priced.
Speed you get will depend on distance to the cabinet/exchange.

Do a search on postcode broadband speed - plenty of websites will tell you what speed you can expect.

We are currently doing exactly this - we've just moved to a house which has been empty for a while, so re-connection needed.

Bear has provided a comprehensive answer above, and AberdeenAngus a shorter version - depends if you can put up with the absolutely appalling standards of customer service from BT or not. I'm suffering from the latter as I seem to be locked into a contract until 09/22, but we've now had no phone since 1st March and no B'band since 16th March and no-one seems to be able to sort it out. Complete and utter w4nkers, the whole sorry shower.

First thing to do is see what's available for him. Go to https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL , scroll down to the bottom and use the address checker as a phone number search only works for BT customers but address check should find the property. If the BT line is still connected, which I'd think is unlikely, then any company using the Openreach network (BT, TalkTalk, Sky and PlusNet spring to mind but not VirginMedia as they have their own network) should be able to provide a service. If it's not connected then what he'll almost certainly be offered is FFTC (Fibre to the cabinet) which still comes into the property down a traditional telephone line. Again, any company using Openreach should be able to sort it but there will almost certainly be be buggering about in a green cabinet near to his home (which he won't need to worry about) and possibly a visit to the property if it doesn't work.

when checking the above, see if the brother is in a cable area from Virgin - their installation costs for a new line which will be fibre to the house are likely to be lower than the £140 that Openreach might want.

First thing to do is see what's available for him. Go to [B]https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL[/B] , scroll down to the bottom and use the address checker as a phone number search only works for BT customers but address check should find the property. If the BT line is still connected, which I'd think is unlikely, then any company using the Openreach network (BT, TalkTalk, Sky and PlusNet spring to mind but not VirginMedia as they have their own network) should be able to provide a service. If it's not connected then what he'll almost certainly be offered is FFTC (Fibre to the cabinet) which still comes into the property down a traditional telephone line. Again, any company using Openreach should be able to sort it but there will almost certainly be be buggering about in a green cabinet near to his home (which he won't need to worry about) and possibly a visit to the property if it doesn't work.
I wouldn't rely on that website to be accurate.

It tells me I can have FTTP at up to 50 Mb/s. There's no FTTP around here, nor likely to be for the foreseeable future. We're lucky if we get a tenth of that.

I use a 3 SIM card in a TP Link modem for all my internet. Typically, I am getting 12Mbps download and 6Mbps upload. When I first had it, it tended to be a little unstable but I bought an external aerial - one which sticks to the glass of a window. Its now much more stable. Do you know where your brother's 3 mast is? There are various phone apps that can help you work this out. Mounting the aerial on the correct side of the house has helped too. I also use an EE SIM card which is much faster (but a lot more expensive). The only negative side of my setup is that for some reason 3 constantly changes the IP address and banks really don't like this when it comes to internet banking. I get round this by using my phone which is EE.

He is currently on a Three sim and a MI FI hub
No matter where it is positioned in his home it never speeds above 3 mostly 2.5
I checked on the Three website for coverage and he is in a not very good area.
He is currently chatting to Three to terminate his contract without incurring penalties.
They maybe should have never sold it him in first place -
As long as it gets sorted
More as it happens
Thanks again for all your helpful comments and tips

Sorted now = Well think it is
I Spoke to Vodaphone chappy in their shop in Blackpool
He told me to inform me brother, to pop into their shop and he will sort everything out and write things down a my brother cant lipread with the mask rules etc.
Vodaphone will install a new router to his existing tel socket and check it all works Ok with testing etc.
The socket will have a new telephone number
He has signed up to Superfast 2 broadband @ 22 quid a month for 2 year contract with 63 -74 mbps supply
All fitting testing re-connection and owt else needed is free.
27th April is the fitting date with Andrew (my brother) being texted 2 hrs before they turning up
and being kept informed by Text if needed before during and anytime after.
What a delight to have some help from that company and also you lads on here
Well chuffed
Cheers all
Next job please :D

Back
Top Bottom