Ardnamurchan peninsula accommodation

meintjiesj

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Planning a trip over to visit Ardnamurchan and McNean Distilleries i.e. Glenbeg and Drimnin. Looks like Ardnamurchan Bunkhouse is closest to Ardnamurchan Distillery but they are booked out June. Anyone know of any other places that doesn't cost the price of a BMW to stay a night. Option is probably to wild camp but myself and midges don't get along and have in the past resulted in my not even try camping and just go home. Driminin also seem bit scares when it comes to camping and bunkhouses.

Where's the bunkhouse? There used to be one at the Sonachan Hotel on the road from Kilchoan out to the lighthouse but I believe the hotel has closed and is now a private house.

Sunart campsite at Strontian is a great place. Decently priced huts and a host for many a biker meet, including some arranged on this site.

Where's the bunkhouse? There used to be one at the Sonachan Hotel on the road from Kilchoan out to the lighthouse but I believe the hotel has closed and is now a private house.

http://www.theardnamurchanbunkhouse.co.uk/location/ handy for when you doing a extended tasting session at the distillery... I phoned and left a message to ask about availability. Sometimes places block days out till a later date to open again. fingers crossed.

There's a campsite not far from there, canny mind the name of it though I'm afraid, in fact I think there may be two.

Sunart campsite at Strontian is a great place. Decently priced huts and a host for many a biker meet, including some arranged on this site.

Seen a few times it mentioned here but just a bit far for doing tasting sessions. I tend to enjoy my whisky tasting sessions.

Taxi to and from the tastings?

Probably no taxis. But will ask around. This is the description from Visit Scotland

The Ardnamurchan peninsula is a wild, remote yet beautiful place full of wonderful scenery situated on the west coast of Scotland.
The area is noted for being very unspoilt and undisturbed and its remoteness is accentuated by the fact that the main access route from Salen on Loch Sunart is a single track winding road for much of its length.

The road out to the lighthouse is a bit of a nightmare and even worse in busy traffic. If you do go all the way out there, visit Sanna bay, you are unlikely to regret it.

The road out to the lighthouse is a bit of a nightmare and even worse in busy traffic. If you do go all the way out there, visit Sanna bay, you are unlikely to regret it.
Did Sanna Bay 2 years ago late afternoon and road were amazingly not to busy, Had a swim and wished I brought my tent so I could spend the night. Deffo will visit it again, fingers crossed I can swim again. Want to visit the two distillery mentioned and Tobermory on Mull before spending the week up around Glenelg.

Back
Top Bottom