Phillip McCallens Visit

PeterNI

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yesterday I made an appointment with a sales assistant in McCallens. I’m in two minds about buying a KTM 1290 Superduke R or an R1250GSA! I know I can hear you all say they are worlds apart!
Any way
In conversation with the sales guy I point out that they are giving absolutely nothing off the price and offering 10% discount on parts. Even the 2020 bikes are being sold off at full price. Yet in England/Scotland there are great deals to be had. I was then informed if I bought a bike in England or Scotland there would be “paperwork issues” not to mention if anything were to go wrong with the bike I’d need to contact the shop I purchased it from to get warranty work done. As I travel to Scotland often I asked if I broke down or had an issue in Scotland, who would I contact, only to be told if it was purchased at McCallens, that McCallens would look after me. Quite odd. So I put the guy over it again. Then he says I don’t have to buy a KTM! I pointed out that BMW looked after their customers no matter which country they are in, the reply was “go buy a BMW THEN!” Had my heart set on a KTM, in a moment of madness I even purchased a reg for the Superduke (note to self don’t on line shop whilst drinking cider!) but think I’ll be looking into a BMW instead. I only live a mile from McCallens and hoped I could deal locally!

Sounds like the guy’s a tool, buy the BMW

Guarantees are region wide, as you’re in the UK any dealer in the UK will perform warranty work if it’s needed

Yes that’s what I thought. But McCallens are saying they will look after their own customers first. And if I have an issue with a KTM bought in another region of the U.K. then I should take it back there. I agree though - tool

And there is the issue. It’s the only KTM dealer in Northern Ireland!!

So there you have the answer

He’s got the monopoly, if he doesn’t need to make any effort for the sale what’s the after sales going to be like

If you really want the KTM buy it elsewhere and if you need to make a warranty claim he’ll have no choice but to fix it

Personally I’d buy something else,

We have a VAG dealer here who is the same for geographical reasons, the price is on the screen and you can have any model that’s in stock

I’ve bought a couple of VWs but not from him

Maybe this guy can help, seems he does new KTM off-road bikes ???
http://normanwattmotorcycles.com/index.php

I cannot comment on KTM but one of the justifications (to myself) for sticking with BMW was if I needed service when travelling I could probably get it. When in Germany I had an issue with what turned out to be an electronic gremlin on my GSA I rode into the nearest Motorrad dealer, found in my satnav, in under 20 minutes I was fixed and on my way, no charge.

In my opinion, that service gave me a peace of mind that is priceless.

I bought my 1190 Adv from McCallens and their service was excellent. Your salesman seems like a right twat tho’ and seems stuck in the dark ages before buying became so easy.

Been with BMW since 2008. Just liked the idea of a superduke. I guess the 1250Adv is more practical anyway

If you have your heart set on a KTM go and buy one in Scotland

If it needs warranty work and your local dealer is dragging his heels because he didn't sell it then get on the phone to KTM customer service !

As for needing assistance when away KTM are no different to BMW or Ducati it gets taken to the nearest dealer

AS for how helpful that dealer is is another matter

When my Ducati had its problems it was taken to the nearest dealer who were busy and not prepared to punt a pre booked customer to sort mine

Ducati customer service compensated my handsomely

I don't know if the same rules apply in NI (why wouldn't they?), but I bought my KTM 790 Duke from Fowlers in Bristol because my nearest dealer, Moto Corsa in Gillingham couldn't get one in orange. Moto Corsa carried out the 600 mile service and are happy to do any warranty work. Fowlers agreed this would not be a problem.

Seems to me your local dealer is an arse.

Make a complaint against the salesman.

Watch the attitude change.

A friend and I visited the shop about a year past. While I was in full conversation with a sales rep about ACF50 displayed on the counter. ( I was going to buy a couple of cans ) Philip interrupted and gave the rep a public bollocking about something unassociated.
My mate didn't buy a bike and I didn't buy the ACF59.

The reply kind of told you exactly what it would be like should you need the after sales service. Not the first dealer to think they have the only product available and can do what they want only to find out customers dont return

I bought my 1190 Adv from McCallens and their service was excellent. Your salesman seems like a right twat tho’ and seems stuck in the dark ages before buying became so easy.

Joe the Sales guy said it wasn’t his name over the door! He didn’t make the rules. If there was a fairer KTM dealer here I’d have one at the drop of a hat. Realistically I’m not taking a chance just in case there is poor after service. BMW next

Complain to KTM, go elsewhere, either a different brand or dealer.

Once KTM realise there’s a problem, it’s probably too late. Quality assurance is important to manufacturers whether that’s goods or services.

Joe the Sales guy said it wasn’t his name over the door! He didn’t make the rules. If there was a fairer KTM dealer here I’d have one at the drop of a hat. Realistically I’m not taking a chance just in case there is poor after service. BMW next

A phone call to KTM UK ??

https://www.ktm.com/en-gb/contact.html

Bu I wonder are all the dealers in the same boat with the Brexit fiasco??

Joe the Sales guy said it wasn’t his name over the door! He didn’t make the rules.

So basically it’s McCallen being a twat then....doesn’t surprise me. He’s a great fella when you’re putting your hand in your pocket in his shop, otherwise.......:tosser

Back
Top Bottom