Fuel Strip Question

as u can see on the replace with float post …

not sure I'd want to do it in place, but a gas hob piezo ignitor flashed 20 times across the middle pins has woken it up from death (as multiple forums world wide suggest it does). Many say it arcs a trace that gets a connection and doesn't last.

still remain to be convinced you can't programme out the old strip on the single socket ZFE bikes with a trip computer.

I think it likely there is two separate coding procedures required across the different ZFE's but know one knew this, as the one initially tried worked out. Unfortunately Wlad is saying he can't be bothered to look as he doesn't do mods just gives access to std BWM features. So its Ok to get rich selling BMW's own work as yours but not actually help owners out and attract more sales of your product. Which doesn't match my way of understanding marketing, but there you go.

Hex now have the feature on the 911, but it too doesn't work. However they have at least listened.... if you code OFF a sensor why does it still report its not working ??? and they also give the words for the fault and I suspect the actual BMW fault code :okay instead of a sneaky I know what it means to me, but owners can go to hell fault code like the other tool uses....

when you code off the strip, yet connect nothing you shouldn't get BOTH these codes
41705 No fuel indicator (aka motoscan code A332)
41778 Tank sensor heating element malfunction (aka motoscan code A2E9)

as when you don't code it to off (leaving just a broken fuel strip connected or indeed nothing connected)
you only get one fault code

if you reconnect the repaired fuel strip
you get no fault codes

That's unbelievable �� .If a mechanic who is recommended on here is honest enough to tell that I could be throwing my money down a drain if he did replace it that must tell us something. Ok given its now 13 years old I can't really complain but to think this issue has been going on for years and even if I go to a main dealer there is no guarantee it will remain working is not good.
Somewhere in a thread some one recommends a mechanic who will do an update on Ebay but I think even they have given up doing them as I couldn't find him on there now.

I think that was reference to a mechanic on Ebay or maybe even Facebook who would visit your place and do the fuel float conversion,I can't find the link that was posted on here either,maybe someone else can help?

That's unbelievable �� .If a mechanic who is recommended on here is honest enough to tell that I could be throwing my money down a drain if he did replace it that must tell us something. Ok given its now 13 years old I can't really complain but to think this issue has been going on for years and even if I go to a main dealer there is no guarantee it will remain working is not good.
Somewhere in a thread some one recommends a mechanic who will do an update on Ebay but I think even they have given up doing them as I couldn't find him on there now.

I think what he's referring to is the BMW warranty on the new strip. If the official dealer fits it, it's a no quibble 2 year warranty. I had 4 for the price of one and the last one could be 3 for the price of one or I may need to pay for another. He is saying that if he fits and it fails he will find it difficult to honour the warranty. Get it done at a dealer and you will be covered. I'll let you know how I get on on Monday.

Thanks gazza12adv Earlier I sent a Tweet to BMW MotorradUK complaining and to be fair rather than ignore me they responded by asking me to DM them.
And just like you suggest they have asked me to contact my local dealer. Thats fair enough and like you suggest its worth paying for them to do it as you get a two year warranty.
Any chance of making my pain easier by giving me an idea of how much it will cost.
Don't forget to let me know how you get on this Monday.

USA get 12 year warranty on fuel strips - after a class action law suit - and MUST pay back all owners costs on previous repairs

add that on the tweet and get their view on that?

Thank you gazza12adv I can live with that if they quote me the same price.

USA get 12 year warranty on fuel strips - after a class action law suit - and MUST pay back all owners costs on previous repairs

add that on the tweet and get their view on that?

And that will do what exactly, Thats like trying to get off a speeding fine by quoting Spanish law. .

They have absolutely no obligation other than the 2 year warranty which has expired. spouting bollox from another country will hardly endear them to the problem

Normally they respond to polite honest conversation & goodwill

If your bikes over 2 years old or the fuel strip is over 2 years old, they dont have any obligation to replace FOC. the part is out of warranty simples

We will see on Monday as my last one expired just acouple of weeks after the last warranty expired. That couple of weeks I didn't use the bike either, FFS. It was last replaced in October last year. A little whe after that I put the bike away for the winter. Used it a bit this year and it was working fine to start with then just packed up again.

Hi botus just posted on R1200GS and the response I got confirm that it is a miff.

That Santa - 2512 is fair enough as I wouldn't expect it to be FOC and my only concern really is the same as gazza... has in that the part needs to be more reliable. If I can get it supplied and fitted for what gazza... has paid thats fair enough as I get it serviced by someone other than a dealership to avoid exorbitant costs.

Tend to agree with you as to be fair they responded to my Tweet within minutes and advised me to contact my local dealership. Ok if it breaks down as often as you say its a pain but I can factor in the cost to my yearly or two yearly pension ( cue violins )budget.

If your bikes over 2 years old or the fuel strip is over 2 years old, they dont have any obligation to replace FOC. the part is out of warranty simples

untrue,

you get 6 years under UK consumer rights act.

especially as you can simply prove the float is £106 and the strip is >£200 therefore its should be considered a HIGHER quality item and the purchaser should expect a reasonable amount of use from it... which they aren't getting and with simple maths should expect twice the life of a float sensor (which doesn't break ???)

the point of flagging why its 12 years - is to help other's by raising awareness and giving the idea we have as much right as a USA bod has, to raise a class action lawsuit - indeed they are starting to become a common thing over this side of the pond as so many manu are just a bunch of crims designing parts to die on purpose. It will also embarrass BMW which is a good thing

be informed

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/MC-10148246-9999.pdf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57665593

Hi again botus. In the interests of being fair this is the response I have received from the forum member on R1200gsinfo

Nope 12 year warranty in the states is valid. It’s 12 year from the date the bike was put into service if the fuel strip fails BMW will replace it. One replaced it has a 1 year warranty. The fuel strip is not warranted for 12 years.
Given this you are right but that said I am someone who prefers gazz... tactics rather than your advice to be more forceful. But that said this is information I will be using if I need to go to the top of BMW. I really don't see why BMW should get away with fitting parts that aren't fit for purpose.

Hi again botus. In the interests of being fair this is the response I have received from the forum member on R1200gsinfo

Nope 12 year warranty in the states is valid. It’s 12 year from the date the bike was put into service if the fuel strip fails BMW will replace it. One replaced it has a 1 year warranty. The fuel strip is not warranted for 12 years.
Given this you are right but that said I am someone who prefers gazz... tactics rather than your advice to be more forceful. But that said this is information I will be using if I need to go to the top of BMW. I really don't see why BMW should get away with fitting parts that aren't fit for purpose.

Your on your own now matey,

I've tired to help, but you don't want to listen, its clear were wasting our time

Probably a dumb question.... But
My 2006 None ABS model has a float manufacturer fitted, I have only the 40 mile reserve count down on my dash, I also have no outside temp (that I can find) or any of the average fuel etc.
So' I assume all the fuel strips were fitted to the Gs's that had : Range, Average, Distance, etc. as mine does not have any of these.
The only fault I have and did confuse it with a strip when I purchased was at full it only drops to half after 100 miles so 3 bars lost in one go.

So... could some one tell me who has the float conversion... Do you loose the gauge functions..? and it reverts to same as mine ??

Cheers Bill

With the float conversion from fuel strip to float you retain all of the functions as it will have the ZFE high ecu and relevant sensors.
On your 2006 the float is mounted to the fuel pump which limits the movement of the float in the tank which is why it suddenly drops after a fair mileage.
The twin cam bikes with the float , the float is mounted to the filler neck which improved the distance of travel of the float.

Back
Top Bottom