Fuel Strip Question

Probably a dumb question.... But
My 2006 None ABS model has a float manufacturer fitted, I have only the 40 mile reserve count down on my dash, I also have no outside temp (that I can find) or any of the average fuel etc.
So' I assume all the fuel strips were fitted to the Gs's that had : Range, Average, Distance, etc. as mine does not have any of these.
The only fault I have and did confuse it with a strip when I purchased was at full it only drops to half after 100 miles so 3 bars lost in one go.

So... could some one tell me who has the float conversion... Do you loose the gauge functions..? and it reverts to same as mine ??

Cheers Bill

is there ANY possibility you have GS911 and or Motoscan app and can get the ZFE page pics posted and or the Coding index data for the ECU ?

HEX just said they realise the app isn't coding certain bikes correctly.... but what may help work out if its possible is the ZFE ecu data and coding index info of an early bike with a float but without trip computer. Motoscan and the new cloud feature on 911 wifi is NOT disabling the heater strip when coding ZFE basic bikes from strip to lever (aka Float)

Ave consumption and ave speed operate with NO sensor fitted (float or strip), as its done on wheel speed and injector pulse data. Range of course needs to know what's in the tank together with the other stuff and I suspect the maths is done inside "certain ZFEs"

It looks like ZFE basic with trip computer did the coding / maths one way, and then higher spec bikes with more toys (like ESA which gives the need for more wires to the ZFE) thus got a ZFE High with both J1 and J2 multiplugs and it does bits slightly differently. They even plug the ambient temp sensor in at J2 which of course the low spec bikes can't do

You can get an Alarm, TPMS, ABS, ASC, Ambient temp and a Trip computer on ZFE basic bikes.... Is it possible that a 2010 GSA with few toys got the ZFE basic and the Full monty with ESA always gets a ZFE high. And thus can pick float or strip. But it doesn't make much sense why they did that. So could also do with ZFE type and coding index for a 2010 GSA that came with a strip vs ZFE and coding index for 2010 GSA that came with a float - (parts docs show 2010 euro spec GSA's "can" have float or a strip and different basic or high ZFE's but not why or which ones got what).

Adding confusion to the mix is a ZFE basic can one of three different units all with basic in the name
Basic low
Basic
Basic high

This is from my 2010 30 year anniversary GSA.
I have the onboard computer that gives the various info like average mpg, miles left, average consumption and one or two others.

ZFE-Basic
ZFE type: ZFE-Basic
Part No.: 7722241
Hardware Index: C8
Coding Index: 10
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD): 2004-03-01
MCV: 0.6.0
FSV: 2.6.0
OSV: 3.3.0
Manufacturer: Loewe / Lear
HWOE No.: 25945828
Factory I-Level: K024-10-02-550
Actual I-Level: K024-10-02-550
Speed sensor manufacturer is Bosch
Speed sensor type is DF11
DWA fitted
Heated grips
Outside temperature sensor
Rear bulb replacement
Storage of temperature indication when engine hot
Film type fuel sensor
Manual low beam off switch

What's this ere manual low beam off switch?. Never heard of that before.

What's this ere manual low beam off switch?. Never heard of that before.

my July 2007 build GS has this feature listed too

you can code off the headlight coming on as it starts.... (or maybe it was to then turn off - knew about it years ago there's a way to do it without a gadget attached I believe) ) illegal for some markets

nice one, thanks very much...

As I understand it, only one Coding Index value is currently known to support the disabling of the inductive fuel sensor (fuel strip). CI=9
what was the BUILD date of the bike (update not sure how I missed - but now seeing all 0470,0480 GS' had both strip or float listed from 2008).
from the look of it. its Bikes with ZFE high that are currently supported to use the float
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/part...0-K255-BMW-R_1200_GS_Adve_10_0470,0480_&mg=16

This is from my 2010 30 year anniversary GSA.
I have the onboard computer that gives the various info like average mpg, miles left, average consumption and one or two others.

ZFE-Basic
ZFE type: ZFE-Basic
Part No.: 7722241
Hardware Index: C8
Coding Index: 10
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD): 2004-03-01
MCV: 0.6.0
FSV: 2.6.0
HWOE No.: 25945828
Factory I-Level: K024-10-02-550
Actual I-Level: K024-10-02-550
DWA fitted
Heated grips
Rear bulb replacement
Storage of temperature indication when engine hot
Film type fuel sensor

could do with the same output on a late GS with ESA fitted

Here you go 2012 GS TC with ESA.

429fBIn.png
[/IMG]

thank you - I wrote it up in case someone needs to send about to get support

ZFE-High
ZFE type: ZFE-High
Part No.: 8536929
Hardware Index: 07
Coding Index: 30
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD): 2004-04-15
MCV: 0.6.4
FSV: 3.4.0
HWOE No.: 104299667
Factory I-Level: K024-12-02-500
Actual I-Level: K024-13-08-510
ABS fitted
ESA fitted
ESA has hall sensor
Heated grips
Brake light switch status over CAN
Rear bulb replacement
Lever type fuel sensor
Brake light type is LED
Rear light type is LED

Just had my fuel strip replaced again . Picked it up and range said 32 miles so I filled it to the brim. It still had 8 litres in the tank so the range left was way out already. The new range with the full tank said 222 miles when it should normally be around the 380+ mark. Not too promising a start.
Price has gone up to £240.00 now. They tried to get a goodwill gesture from BMW but no-one got back to them so I've had to pay for now.
It still cost less than the conversion above on eBay which I'm not even sure if it can be done to mine. (06 GSA) I'm hoping a couple of tankfuls will sort it out a bit more accurately. Going to have to live with it for a while as it's being shipped to Iceland on Thursday.
At least I've lost the bloody yellow triangle from the dash.:blast:D

Sounds like it was not properly recalibrated before fitting into the tank.?

I thought that. Phoned them up and they said it'll need a couple of tankfuls to learn again. I've had about 10 strips fitted before and it's not happened like this in the past. We will see.

so they guy says Buy the float £100 ish
then give him £150 to rip out the strip, fit the float on the pump, swap the wires and code the other sensor type

100% - ish confident it will work, so long as you have the ZFE high (easiest to know, it comes when ESA is fitted), at the moment whilst I think we'll eventually get the other ZFE Basic coding choice become available in future tool upgrades (so we can use the float on many other bikes) .... Maybe it will confuse the rest of the trip computer features and thus range might break and we'll get level only.... it will all depend what mischief BMW created needlessly messing features across the different ZFE's

I have it on good authority, (Williams Manchester) that the fuel strip is one of the first things to go if your battery goes flat, so if your bike has been standing for some time in storage then be prepared! This has happened on my 2006 GSA 3 times although admittedly, one of the times was when I was riding in the states and the fuel strip was coated in ethanol and unable to read temperature! another cause!

I have it on good authority, (Williams Manchester) that the fuel strip is one of the first things to go if your battery goes flat, so if your bike has been standing for some time in storage then be prepared! This has happened on my 2006 GSA 3 times although admittedly, one of the times was when I was riding in the states and the fuel strip was coated in ethanol and unable to read temperature! another cause!

My new strip does seem to have sorted itself out. By the time I got to hull to drop the bike off it was reading about right for the milage I'd done and what was left in the range. .
My battery has never gone flat. I only disconnected it for the first time earlier this year to replace the 12 year old odyssee that hadn't actually failed. I've had eleven strips now in 13 years. Bmw wouldn't entertain a goodwill gesture either even though it failed a couple of weeks after the warranty on the last one ran out. Oh well I've got another 2 years warranty again.

My new strip does seem to have sorted itself out. By the time I got to hull to drop the bike off it was reading about right for the milage I'd done and what was left in the range. .
My battery has never gone flat. I only disconnected it for the first time earlier this year to replace the 12 year old odyssee that hadn't actually failed. I've had eleven strips now in 13 years. Bmw wouldn't entertain a goodwill gesture either even though it failed a couple of weeks after the warranty on the last one ran out. Oh well I've got another 2 years warranty again.

did it pop on its own or had it been anywhere near a BMW online diagnostic machine ?

the utter garbage about ABS failure on integrated abs 2 bikes coming from a lack of fluid changes is pure fantasy, the fluid doesn't get anywhere near the electric pump brushes
and plenty of other manu ABS units work just fine on 15 year old fluid.... its just an extra 100 quid every 2 years - 30 quid for the quant family and 30 quid to the dealer the rest in slave wages and 1/2 litre of yesterdays bottle - but if they can see that money transfer they can pop it when plugged in...

It just died. Last replaced in October last year. Only a little over a thousand miles since.

Pleased to read its sorted once again gazza ...
Ironically I was pleased read how much it had increased in price. Only because my final bill was for £650 so the extra you paid accounts for the high bill I received. They also only gave me a till receipt rather than as I expected to receive a letter headed bill with a break down on costs. Because of Covid etc I am assuming this will be sent to my Email address. £650 I should add that they also fitted to new tyres as on their free safety inspection they noticed my tyres were out of date. You just know that any " free " safety inspection is going to lead to a higher bill.
Even worse than that though is that they gave me a 1250 as a loan bike because they needed to keep mine overnight and it was a case of love on first sight. What a machine.
This now meant I needed to have a serious conversation with my wife. After a lot of crying and shouting I calmed down and SWMBO agreed that I could afford to buy one. One of my most cogent reasons was that aged 70 I need to buy one now rather than later. Pretty sure she will come back from our spare room when the weather gets colder

Pleased to read its sorted once again gazza ...
Ironically I was pleased read how much it had increased in price. Only because my final bill was for £650 so the extra you paid accounts for the high bill I received. They also only gave me a till receipt rather than as I expected to receive a letter headed bill with a break down on costs. Because of Covid etc I am assuming this will be sent to my Email address. £650 I should add that they also fitted to new tyres as on their free safety inspection they noticed my tyres were out of date. You just know that any " free " safety inspection is going to lead to a higher bill.
Even worse than that though is that they gave me a 1250 as a loan bike because they needed to keep mine overnight and it was a case of love on first sight. What a machine.
This now meant I needed to have a serious conversation with my wife. After a lot of crying and shouting I calmed down and SWMBO agreed that I could afford to buy one. One of my most cogent reasons was that aged 70 I need to buy one now rather than later. Pretty sure she will come back from our spare room when the weather gets colder ��

They lent me an XR 900, a hoot to ride, great fun on the back roads and the parallel twin is a superb engine. It had 320 miles on it when I picked it up. It went back with over 570 on it. I was glad to get back on the old plodder though. Much more comfortable to ride.
If your strip was done at a BMW dealer it will be in the computer system for the warranty on it.
Tyres out of date! that's a new one on me. How old were they?

This now meant I needed to have a serious conversation with my wife. After a lot of crying and shouting I calmed down and SWMBO agreed that I could afford to buy one. One of my most cogent reasons was that aged 70 I need to buy one now rather than later. Pretty sure she will come back from our spare room when the weather gets colder ��

at 70 its a very big bike..... depending upon your size, health and how many miles just lease it and hand back in 2 years and consider something smaller

plenty of more suitable stuff that will leave 7k in your wallet

if you're never going off road the new Tracer 900 GT is sensible
https://www.visordown.com/reviews/first-ride/yamaha-tracer-9-and-tracer-gt-2021-road-test-and-review
or a triumph 900 thing or the latest guzzi off roady might be more sensible
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/triumph/tiger-900-rally-pro/2020/
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/moto-guzzi/v85-tt/2019/ (the current one gets tubeless rims and a bit more go)

Back
Top Bottom