Fuel Strip Question

Loan bike sounds good. I vaguely remember something about tyres being dated as I was once an HGV driver and recall it being mentioned then. They've recently legislated for Classic lorries having to have their tyres changed every ten years.
But like you I was surprised when they told me my motorbike tyres were out of date. As far as I know its not an MOT failure but once I was informed it set the hares running and given I was keeping the bike at that time I thought it best to get new ones fitted. They were two years over the "best by " date.
I have got to say riding the bike back home it did feel a different bike.

Thanks botus great advice. It took me years to get " tuned in " to the Boxer Engine but now I have I just love it and I also love the handling of a GS. I think I may have said but in between owning two GSes I brought a CrossTourer and I only owned it for a few months before I bought another GS. And your right the Tracer 900GT reports all say how good it is.
As for size yes it is a big bike and I am not a particularly big bloke except sadly around my waist line. I can still manage to get mine on its centre stand but if it does get too much I will just use the side stand. When it came to getting the CrossTourer on its centre stand it was a nightmare because it was so heavy and one of the reasons I sold it. I think it didn't help weight wise because it had DCT and therefore an extra clutch.
I did look at buying it on a PCP deal but at 7.9% interest rate I decided not to.
Sadly at 70 I am now getting on a bit and without being too morbid this will probably be my last bike that is unless I live long enough for the bike to become too heavy for me and I then will sell it to get a lighter bike.
Isn't life funny I remember years ago meeting a big fella at Douglas quayside on returning from the TT and him looking at my Honda Blackbird and saying that he would love one but it would now be too heavy for him. Now I am not far off of feeling the same way. Still if I should pop my clogs earlier than I expect to my young grandson and son in law who have both just started biking can argue over who gets it.

Just booked my bike I. For a replacement fuel strip. The new one which I said was coming. It can only be ordered from Germany. UK are still selling the old stock.

My 2009 fuel strip went down last year. It wasn't worth doing anything about it with COVID etc.

I've just started looking into pricing for original replacement and float replacement.

Spoke to my local dealer and posed the question , would they be able to do a conversion. The parts gut phoned me back after speaking to the tech and told me BMW are working on a modified fuel strip which should be out in a couple of months or so.

Not sure how much truth there is in this, but they did advise to hold off and not bother with the current version.

Lesson 101 - Defer the customer rather than commit

The Fuel strip last saw fitment in 2009 i believe - Add 10 years for end of model obsolescence Normally end of end of model +10 years is std fare

There is almost zero chance that a new and improved strip will be forthcoming any time soon ;)

Depending on what model you have will determine if the conversion to float will work

Its dependent on what ZFE you have fitted - as you need to repin the ZFE connector to supply / read the signal from the float

My new strip does seem to have sorted itself out. By the time I got to hull to drop the bike off it was reading about right for the milage I'd done and what was left in the range. .
My battery has never gone flat. I only disconnected it for the first time earlier this year to replace the 12 year old odyssee that hadn't actually failed. I've had eleven strips now in 13 years. Bmw wouldn't entertain a goodwill gesture either even though it failed a couple of weeks after the warranty on the last one ran out. Oh well I've got another 2 years warranty again.

in light of the the fact, its supposed to be a premium branded vehicle with a reputation for both quality and engineering integrity, the fact u have suffered so many failures, the USA class action lawsuit and their 10 year warranty extension on fuel strips, and NOW a later part (pretty much admitting they were not fit for purpose) you can just take them to court over UK legislation about the sale of goods act - u have 6 years - I'd go after multiple cases if I were u

Fit for purpose The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.
As described The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.
Satisfactory quality Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them.

You should ask what a reasonable person would consider satisfactory for the goods in question. For example, bargain-bucket products won’t be held to as high standards as luxury goods.

a component with no moving parts - that does nothing in life and is from BMW should do 15 to 20 years - not 3 minutes

Durability takes into account many different factors like product type, brand reputation, price point and how it is advertised. For example you're unlikely to be able to claim a cheap kettle that's stopped working after four years isn't durable. Whereas a more premium and expensive kettle that's been well looked after and has stopped working after 14 months could be considered to not be durable, and therefore not of satisfactory quality.

Back
Top Bottom