Fuel Strip Question

Sidney

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2007 bmw r1200 gs which has previously had a new fuel strip after the original stopped working and I had the dreaded low fuel light issue.

It’s been working fine since until a couple of weeks ago.

I have twice run out of fuel whilst the gauge shows 2 bars and with no low fuel light on.

When the tank is filled up the gauge works and as the fuel is used it goes down as ‘ normal’.

Is this a symptom of the strip failing or something else?

Could the bottom of the strip have moved so it’s not dangling down to the bottom of the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After two strip failures I have given up on it totally, fortunately the latest failure hasn’t resulted in any warning lights, just an unreliable gauge as you have, I now just reset the trip every fill up( only forgot once so far!!) I know I can go 150 miles safely so fill up accordingly.

Al.

Fuel Strip

My 2009 fuel strip went down last year. It wasn't worth doing anything about it with COVID etc.

I've just started looking into pricing for original replacement and float replacement.

Spoke to my local dealer and posed the question , would they be able to do a conversion. The parts gut phoned me back after speaking to the tech and told me BMW are working on a modified fuel strip which should be out in a couple of months or so.

Not sure how much truth there is in this, but they did advise to hold off and not bother with the current version.

My 2009 fuel strip went down last year. It wasn't worth doing anything about it with COVID etc.

I've just started looking into pricing for original replacement and float replacement.

Spoke to my local dealer and posed the question , would they be able to do a conversion. The parts gut phoned me back after speaking to the tech and told me BMW are working on a modified fuel strip which should be out in a couple of months or so.

Not sure how much truth there is in this, but they did advise to hold off and not bother with the current version.

Lesson 101 - Defer the customer rather than commit

The Fuel strip last saw fitment in 2009 i believe - Add 10 years for end of model obsolescence Normally end of end of model +10 years is std fare

There is almost zero chance that a new and improved strip will be forthcoming any time soon ;)

Depending on what model you have will determine if the conversion to float will work

Its dependent on what ZFE you have fitted - as you need to repin the ZFE connector to supply / read the signal from the float

As stated the later float has to be fitted instead of the fuel strip , swap the wiring around on the ECU plug and re code the ECU using the Motoscan ultimate app and an OBDlink MX or similar.
There is a full description of this on this site started by Denz0.
I too would be amazed if BMW finally came up with a reliable working fuel strip.

I'd agree with Mistacat and Santa, the strip to float conversion is the way to go otherwise the fuel strip will haunt you.
You either do the conversion or bypass the fulel strip with some resistors to put out the warning light and rely on the trip counter to fill up.

A new fuel strip might last a while or as short as the drive home.
BMW won't do anything except take your money for another strip.

Perfect timing, my 07 1200gs came out of the garage first time in 8 months for a dust off and guess what? the tank is showing empty, warning lights flashing, pop to the local to fill up with juice and hey presto, warning lights stay on, low fuel.

I had the strip replaced approx 2 years ago by main bmw dealer but not sure what warranty they give!! do you think it is due to not being used and it will clear itself, woudl it help to remove the battery for half hour to see if it clears or contact the main dealer.

Perfect timing, my 07 1200gs came out of the garage first time in 8 months for a dust off and guess what? the tank is showing empty, warning lights flashing, pop to the local to fill up with juice and hey presto, warning lights stay on, low fuel.

I had the strip replaced approx 2 years ago by main bmw dealer but not sure what warranty they give!! do you think it is due to not being used and it will clear itself, woudl it help to remove the battery for half hour to see if it clears or contact the main dealer.

2 year warranty, and it prolly wont clear :(

My pet theory was that if the tank was left so that it was not full the fuel strip or part of it would dry out , when the ignition was switched on the dry part of the strip would overheat.
By design these strips take a while to dry out.
I do not have any evidence to back this up. I did 60K miles on my previous bike filling the tank every time before putting it away.
The strip failed some time after the bike was sold.
I think Santa is right, that disconnecting the battery to clear the adaptations will not bring it back to life, I think that zapping it with a piezo will stand more chance of it recovering.

Thanks Santa and Mistacat i will kepp you updated with the BMW dealer!!

OK Thank you Santa yes a 2 year parts warranty installed Sept 2019 woo hoo, they said bring the bike in and if it is the part then it will be covered, nothing said about labour but it is a way forward time to check the diary to see when
i can get it it in.

OK Thank you Santa yes a 2 year parts warranty installed Sept 2019 woo hoo, they said bring the bike in and if it is the part then it will be covered, nothing said about labour but it is a way forward time to check the diary to see when
i can get it it in.

Labour will be free too. I had 3 replacements on one I bought about 5 years ago. The next one I bought I only needed 1 replacement. It's out of the 2 year warranty again now so I'll have to pay again next time. I've had 10 fuel strips in total now. But there's nothing wrong with them is there.!

Sorry to Hi-jack the thread but......
I have the same issue (No surprise there) I have got a quote of £305 to replace the strip.
I am also having some re-calls done which the dealer said will reduce the price as in the same area. (how much has not been mentioned)
Is there anyone on here, not too far from me in North Norfolk who would convert mine to the float system? or could you recommend someone.

A few years back when I had a 2008 bike, I had the strip fail.

Against all advice I removed it, cleaned with WD40, and refitted.

Still indicating low.

2 days later it started working, and was fine for the next 4 yrs.

Maybe worth a try?

Interesting to read this because I have the same issue on 2008 GS. Rather than attempt to do the job myself I have recently contacted two mechanics who are highly recommended on here and one of them is clearly reluctant to take the job on as he has not rung me back and the other point blank told me that given the unreliability of the replacement part he wouldn't take the job on as if it doesn't work a warranty claim would be a nightmare. This not a criticism off either of them but more a criticism of BMW.
Having owned bikes and cars for over fifty years this is the first time I have ever encountered something on any vehicle that seems to be unrepairable.
I just hope BMW follow up on the modification because like you I will just have to use the trip meter.

Interesting to read this because I have the same issue on 2008 GS. Rather than attempt to do the job myself I have recently contacted two mechanics who are highly recommended on here and one of them is clearly reluctant to take the job on as he has not rung me back and the other point blank told me that given the unreliability of the replacement part he wouldn't take the job on as if it doesn't work a warranty claim would be a nightmare. This not a criticism off either of them but more a criticism of BMW.
Having owned bikes and cars for over fifty years this is the first time I have ever encountered something on any vehicle that seems to be unrepairable.
I just hope BMW follow up on the modification because like you I will just have to use the trip meter.

No modification will occur via the mothership.

Its like asking Ronco to supply spares for it's smokless ashtray ;)

Hurts me to say it but I think your right. Not a big issue until I either sell or trade in the bike ��

Mines going in on Monday for strip #10or#11. Can't remember how many now. Warranty on the last one ran out last month just a couple of weeks before this one packed up. I shall be having words.
Over 100 pounds a year to have a working fuel strip. Fucking rediculous.

That's unbelievable �� .If a mechanic who is recommended on here is honest enough to tell that I could be throwing my money down a drain if he did replace it that must tell us something. Ok given its now 13 years old I can't really complain but to think this issue has been going on for years and even if I go to a main dealer there is no guarantee it will remain working is not good.
Somewhere in a thread some one recommends a mechanic who will do an update on Ebay but I think even they have given up doing them as I couldn't find him on there now.

That's unbelievable �� .If a mechanic who is recommended on here is honest enough to tell that I could be throwing my money down a drain if he did replace it that must tell us something. Ok given its now 13 years old I can't really complain but to think this issue has been going on for years and even if I go to a main dealer there is no guarantee it will remain working is not good.
Somewhere in a thread some one recommends a mechanic who will do an update on Ebay but I think even they have given up doing them as I couldn't find him on there now.

There is no update or magic fix that will "fix" the issue, Other than a new item

Like many things, some prove there longevity and just work, others prove problematic and get redesigned or retired so to speak

Back
Top Bottom