Sena SRL / SRL2 and BMW TFT or Cardo Packtalk Bold

Mark1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I have searched the forum and all the info seems a little old on this. I need to buy a new helmet and like the Shoei Neotec 2. I also like the neatness of the Sena SRL / SRL 2 bespoke comms unit for the helmet (later versions of the Neotec 2 can apparently be fitted with the SRL or SRL 2 not sure what the benefits of one are over the other?), the alternative would be a Packtalk Bold, which is in my understanding a more technically advanced unit with Mesh etc., the downside as i see it being it is not integrated and the unit needs to be fitted on the glue plate slightly further back than is optimal but it has good voice control facilities.

I do not regularly ride in groups so intercom use will be rare, additionally friends have a mix of units from different manufacturers.

What are experiences with this helmet and different comms systems, also how well does the SRL / SRL2 play with the BMW TFT? it is a 2020 GS1250 HP Rallye TE with latest firmware, mainly for music and occasional phone calls.

Also has anyone fitted the 45mm JBL speakers to the Neotech 2?

Thank you in advance.

Mark

I have a few Shoeis with SRL fitted including Neotec 2.
Previously I had various Cardo units such as G9X and Packtalk.
IMHO,unless you ride in groups and all need intercoms, the integrated SRL is MUCH better.
I never found the Packtalk very reliable and was more trouble than it’s worth.
I really don’t want or need to be connected to 8 mates !!
The SRL kit is great,totally integrated and works flawlessly with a pillion and is great for listening to music or taking a call etc.
No idea about BMW TFT connectivity but someone else will be along shortly.

I have a Neotec 2 and SRL, the SRL2 is for helmets made after March 2019, as far as I know there is no difference in the functionality, the only difference being the mic connector in the channel cut-outs in the helmet. I have a 2020 GS1250, with whatever software it came with, and using a Huawei Pro20 everything works, is stable and reliable, the trick is setting it up, and making sure you select the correct settings on your phone.

My Neotech SRL2 works just fine with a 2019 F850 tft. It connects to Rich1960’s SRL easily. The SRL2 - TFT - iPhone connectivity is fine. Making and answering calls via the tft is no problem.
It’s possible to buy an accessory Mesh connector which would allow Mesh connections with other Sena Mesh devices.
I have failed to connect to another friend’s Cardo Packtalk device.

My SRL worked great with the TFT on my last 2018 R1200 GSA Rallye TE, and it is also operating fine with the TFT on my new R1250 GSA TE. It also worked well with the TFT's on the several loan bikes I had whilst mine were being serviced.

I find my Neotec 2 very comfortable, the first SRL went faulty (kept freezing and needed a hard reset), the replacement has been great and I love the lack of unit on the side of the helmet. I can't comment on the TFT but it pairs well with my Zumo XT, Huawei P30, SR10 etc.

Getting stuff switched on in the correct order seems to be key or they can pair to each other rather than the SRL. I've also paired it to non Sena head sets in universal pairing mode and that has worked ok.

Looking at the cut outs in the lid I don't think the Cardo JBL speakers will fit. Sena have stsrted doing HD speakers for their other rangers, I'm hoping they'll do the same for the SRL but they'd be much harder to fit due to the lack of plug.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi all, thank you for all your responses, I purchased a Neotec 2 and SRL 2 today and have it installed already, it linked seamlessly with my GS1250 TFT phone and Nav VI, can make calls and listen to music, MP3 from phone, radioplayer and spotify, not tried comms yet. Volume seems loud with phone turned up as well, have not yet tried it out on the bike, hopefully tomorrow :) .
Regards
Mark

You’ll need the BMW connected app, and the Garmin smartphone link to get full functionality, although neither is absolutely necessary, the Garmin app showing any road blocks or hold ups, the Connected app doesn’t really offer anything other than recording routes for posterity, or looking back at how far you leaned the bike around a bend, but if you’re in to your gadgets (like me) they’re all a bit of fun, especially when they’re all working correctly.

Hi, How do you connect your Nav VI on the SRL, I have done it as a GPS on the headset for pairing, but when it tries to warn me of something I get a break in music but no sound, so it is trying to notify me. is there a way to turn up the volume or should I pair the GPS as a phone or is there another option?

Sorry Mark, I can’t help with that one, I don’t have the sound from the Nav 6 turned on.

I’ve had a look at the Sena manual and found this which should help

Attachments

• A126C22A-1229-47B4-8CCE-E6E773E5494A.jpg
    A126C22A-1229-47B4-8CCE-E6E773E5494A.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 1,544
I paired my old Zumo 660 and new XT as GPS on the SRL but when they connect I only ever hear 'media connected' from the headset, I would have expected to hear 'GPS connected'

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have my SRL2 connected finally to my iPhone and TFT; music plays fine through the SRL2 and shows up on the TFT.

Phone connectivity also shows up fine on the TFT, but doesn’t use the SRL2 mic and speakers for the call - my iPhone seems to be trying to use the TFT Bluetooth connectivity during calls. Any suggestions how I can get it to work properly with the SRL2? (Hope this makes sense!)

Thanks,

Gary

Hi,

I have my SRL2 connected finally to my iPhone and TFT; music plays fine through the SRL2 and shows up on the TFT.

Phone connectivity also shows up fine on the TFT, but doesn’t use the SRL2 mic and speakers for the call - my iPhone seems to be trying to use the TFT Bluetooth connectivity during calls. Any suggestions how I can get it to work properly with the SRL2? (Hope this makes sense!)

Thanks,

Gary

I don’t have my phone connected to the SRL 2, just the TFT as a phone connection. With my iPhone connected to the TFT, this routes calls through the TFT to the SRL 2. I also have my phone connected to my Nav V, but disabled calls in the Nav V settings.

Back
Top Bottom