R1200GS GPS power connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

footloose

Rather than powering my Garmin 276c GPS from the tankbag, I've been trying to find the connector so I can use the power connection that is fitted to the bike for the BMW GPS. My local BMW dealer showed me the part that is used for the BMW GPS but at A$160, this is for too rich for my taste, especially as all I need is the actual connector.
Does anybody know of another part or solution that I can use?
Thanks, Brian.

I connected mine by simply pushing the tinned wires into the socket. Secured with insulation tape and a cable tie, has been fine for almost a year.

The wiring loom connector for the BMW GPS cable on the R1200GS is fitted to the front subframe just beneath the vehicle identification number plate. You will need to remove the fuel tank to get to it, not a big job. Rather than buy the OEM cable, you could get one from Garmin and find your own way to fit it either by replacing the wiring connector with a soldered joint, or do as Mouse did.

Thanks, Mouse. It looks like your way is the way to go. I did remember reading of your solution some time ago but aiming for a nice tidy solution I was hoping to get the correct connector.
I did get a bit of a lead from an AdvRider member with a part number of a connector that he sourced but I've not had a reply from the seller re. my being able to buy the part.

Pukmeister, I've had a look at the BMW power socket, reached it easily without having to remove anything.

It's out with the tape and the ties tomorrow, lovely warm sunny day for fiddling with the bike. Of course, I'll have to take it for a long test ride. : )

Nice one footloose, I would have posted a pic but the missus stole my digital camera today to show work colleagues some wedding phots. Better check with a multimeter before connecting your GPS to be sure you have the wiring the right way round, I'm not sure which contact should be earth and which is +12volts. The power to the GPS goes off after about 15 seconds of turning off the ignition so don't panic if your GPS wont stay on without the ignition key in place.

Footloose, like Mouse i tinned the Garmin leads , then drilled a hole in the base
of the cover to the bike connector and fed Garmin leads thro' Place leads in socket pins , carefully slide cover down in to position. Seal new hole /leads and edge of socket / cover with Silicone. This approach saves you trying to apply insulating tape in a very confined space :thumb

harry said:
Footloose, like Mouse i tinned the Garmin leads , then drilled a hole in the base
of the cover to the bike connector and fed Garmin leads thro' Place leads in socket pins , carefully slide cover down in to position. Seal new hole /leads and edge of socket / cover with Silicone. This approach saves you trying to apply insulating tape in a very confined space :thumb

Harry, did as you suggested and it makes a very neat solution.
I also fitted a set of Touratech handlebar risers that arrived this morning and with all these changes, decided that I would have to test ride the thing.
So, as it was a really nice sunny day, about 21C and a very light breeze, it was really a good day for a run down The Great Ocean Road here in victoria. A round trip of 350km and what a blast. The cornering entailing lots of bar movement and bumps through the corners showed that your suggestion and my workmanship carried the day.
Aren't we good! : )
Many thanks to yourself, Mouse and Pukmeister for your help and suggestions.

Brian.

Two things I forgot to mention,
I didn't need to remove the tank to reach the connector and the brown wire is common or earth and the red with white trace is +12v.
The GPS is set to power up when it senses +12v and shuts down when the CANbus shuts down.

Thanks again, everybody.

robb said:
Any chance of a picture?

regards...Rob

Sorry, but not from me. The connector is well tucked away and ziptied, I can't get a good look at it with the camera.
If there is any part of the procedure that you are not sure about, mention it and I'll try to clarify.

Brian.

I wired my 276c to the battery, using one fuse. Idea being I want it to charge when the bike keyswitch is off. Still, considering the above, I might make a change.

I used the supplied 'marine' power lead for the 276C to make up a cable to plug into the Touratech Cockpit Cover socket for power. I don't like plugging and unplugging the GPS cable from the GPS too often.

For sound I led the orange and brown wires away separately and fitted a 3.5mm mono socket. A Starcom supressed lead goes to the Starcom under the seat with a 3.5mm stereo jack and into the made up socket with a mono jack. The cable connects 2 into 3 and all works well.

Peter

Can you point me at the above 1200 FAQ article please?
Sorry if there is an obvious answer... dooaah in advance!

What you can do when you need to use the special design connectors on the R12GS or the 276C is to use the pins in an old modem or PC screen cable.

This picture shows how to connect a 12V halogen lamp but the principle is the same.

Pull out the pin, male or feemale, from the old D-sub modem cable connector and solder it onto the wire. Cover it with shrink tube and connect it to the pins in the special design plug.

Effin' brill! I did the job last night poking the tinned ends in, but I want to revisit it now that I have this advice. Deadly!

Footloose, glad you are pleased with the result . I have'nt heard of anyone
sourcing themale connector to that wee socket tho' many have tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom