V85TT - alternative handlebars

GSite

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,
Having done around 1000 miles in the last two weeks on my new steed, found that the standard handlebars cause me pain at the wrists or shoulders depending on how I hold them. I think the issue is that they bend too far back towards the rider from the point where the taper increases at switchgear outwards. I am sure that if the bars were flatter from that point that the angle at my wrist and elbows would be more gentle relieving the stress on the joints.

Can I ask the collective if anyone knows of an alternative bar with a similar end taper to allow both fitment at the clamps and of the switchgear ?

I have not got the kit to safely bend them nor am I sure of the metal properties and how it may respond to "manipulation" shall we say.

Did not notice the problem on two test rides both around 100 miles, so wondered if adjustment at the clamps may resolve it, but to no avail.

Had hoped to take it on a longish tour, but until I can sort this issue it will only be day rides with regular rest for the joints, shame really as this and the poor rear shocker ruin the comfort on a great bike otherwise.

Many thanks guys.

Check out the Renthal website it lists numerous bars , their bends , heights and widths etc

I think due to their design you may struggle to find alternative bars. I've tilted mine forward about an inch, much better. What's wrong with the rear shock? In what way is it poor?

shame really as this and the poor rear shocker ruin the comfort on a great bike otherwise.

The rear shock on my V85TT didn’t absorb much at all until I followed some advice and increased the preload a couple of notches. That made a big difference and I’d say the shock now performs at least as well as the one on my R1250RT. Not sure that puts the RT shock in a good light but that’s how it seems to me.

I think due to their design you may struggle to find alternative bars. I've tilted mine forward about an inch, much better. What's wrong with the rear shock? In what way is it poor?

Adjusting pre-load either gives a rock hard or soggy ride but little between. On the rebound side, I find the ride bouncy or choppy again little between. Have tried various combinations of the above and tried to get the sag right too. More tweaking required me thinks, we shall see, but won't give up and spend dosh on replacement unecessarily.

Adjusting the preload only adjusts the ride height. Adjust that until it’s about right for you. There’s only seven positions. Then set the damping to the factory setting (+10 turns or clicks iirc but do check as I am far from sure). Ride it, then add or subtract a turn or two at a time until it feels ok.

Don’t forget the front is adjustable too - on the right hand fork top - spanner on the hex nut for preload, screwdriver for damping. I can’t recall at all what the standard set up is but I think you count exposed threads for preload and clicks again for damping.

Personally I found the stock suspensiona bit too soft and underdamped but I have bought a +30mm Wilbers rear for extra ride height as I take a pillion 90% of the time and we are both heavier than we should be. As you would expect it’s an improvement and with two us on ride height is back where it should be, but the Wilbers does show up the front end which is now on max preload and strangely min damping.

What I do now realise though is how good the para lever set up on a GS is. You are never going to get the V85TT to feel like a GS.

Back
Top Bottom