Chinese crash bar bumpers

I don't mean to piss on your parade here guys, but seriously, a protector to protect the crash protector??? What's next? A protector that protects the crashbar protector??

My recommendation: Throw them away. If you drop the bike there will be minor scratches on the crashbar. If you don't like the scratch, use a bit of sand paper and the crashbar will be restored to the 'before crash' condition.

my 2c.

Assuming the crash bars are made to the same quality as my TC....wot he said. A little bit of wet and dry and the bars look fine....it’s what they are made for!

Hawkeye, the plastic clips you recommend arrived today, six per side. They look good, thanks for the recommendation.
Cheers, Pete

Very welcome Pete - let's hope you never have to test them out (although I can assure you they do work, as I "fell over" with them fitted to the crash bars on my previous Tiger 1200 a couple of times, bit of scuffing on the clips, but no damage to the actual bars).

I admit to having tested the "cheap Chinese" crash bar bumpers on my previous GSA many times - a weak left arm as a result of a major RTA on a 1150 many years ago being the main reason.

Whilst I ground a few down I never had one split or cause any damage to the bike but they did stop the crash bars being ground down.

I now have a 1250 with Altrider crash bars and as the main bars are 32mm diameter the "cheap Chinese" protectors are not an option.

Instead I use "Greenhouse Frame Pipe Tube and Film Clips" from AliExpress which are similar to the clips that Hawkeye mentioned and are available in a range of sizes, including 32mm.

I've tested them on a stationary "lay down" and they did the job, crash bars unmarked and no damage done to anything.

Bob, these look interesting!
I thought for £3.50 for ten, although only five of them are one inch, I thought it was worth a punt.
"10pcs/pack Clamp Greenhouse Frame Pipe Tube and Film Clip Clamp Connector 25m/0.98'' from Aliexpress.
I'll report back when they arrive.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My Heed crash bars (which have already touched dirt) were well less than £150, I’m struggling to imagine paying half of that for plastic protectors...

https://heedshop.eu/en_US/p/Crash-bars-for-BMW-R-1250-GS-Basic-silver-/484

‘Course, Brexit has probably screwed up getting them without hassle and extra fees

But the bars fit, look fine and if / when I sell the bike, I’ll just replace them.

The plastic clips arrived, fitted in seconds and cost pennies. Should do the job well as the the plastic isn't as brittle as the wunderlich/Chinese bump protectors.
93bc6680e49170e9c95101c46562e3d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reading some of the comments on this thread about chinese parts amused me. Whilst there is a lot of rubbish out there, there is also a lot of big name companies that will buy cheap Chinese items, stick their name on it and sell it as a premium brand.
This is commonplace and not only motorcycle parts.

I have an XJR and needed new carb inlet rubbers. From Yamaha these are over 100 quid each ( need 4) I bought cheap ones for 80 for the set. When they arrived they were identical to the originals even down to a slight imperfection that must have been in the mould.

Some “Chinese copies” are infact the original item, the big name brand item is just a rip off.

Back
Top Bottom