Do I need my nav vi

farmermo

Reaction score
Hi, due to collect my r1250gs this week.
I have a nav vi which I use with my k1600.
Will I need it with the gs? Looks like the motorrad app and a suitable phone cradle does pretty much the same.
Cheers

Phone cradle and app for me, calimoto , waze, apple maps,

Assuming your new bike is set up for the GPS device (ie cradle, power connection) then your Nav VI will integrate with the bike’s iWheel thing, just as it does on your 1600. Whether you chose to then use it, is up to you.

It will BUT it does nothing other than show you a map which the app will do on your phone.
The only advantage with it on the bike is scrolling the map from the wheel which requires you switching the wheel control between dash and Nav depending on what you want to do.
Won’t be long before someone cracks this within an app/linq unit though

Clearly PittaNanRoti has decided the Navigator VI is not for him on his bike. He likes to use his phone on the bike. Some do, some don’t.

Clearly PittaNanRoti has decided the Navigator VI is not for him on his bike. He likes to use his phone on the bike. Some do, some don’t.

I’m in the “don’t” camp. Partly because I’ve yet to find a phone app that allows me to pre-determine the route I want to follow and partly because I’ve met one too many bod whose phone has been trashed by handlebar vibes...

For touring using my routes, I still prefer my Nav V. I do use the Bmw connected app and dash notifications for more local stuff regularly. I like the option of both still and will be sad when this is not available.

Things change, so I will learn to live without it one day i guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you read what I wrote or what you thought I wrote?
I use the Nav VI - just on the 701 where’s it’s useful in the four button mount.
Other than the rare time I want to plan a predetermined route, etc it’s slower and doesn’t offer anything that the 6” screen/app combo on the phone does.
Used it on the 1250 daily for over six months and over 5k miles before choosing to remove it.
The days of needing it to show the dash read outs because of how bad the 1200’s clocks were have gone.
Add in how flaky the connection setup is when it’s dash/Nav/phone it just wasn’t worth it.
Works first time with phone/helmet now as does the tft/phone/helmet 99% bar BMW’s continued bugs with Apple.

As I said, you chose not to use it on your bike, preferring to use your phone. Some do, some don’t.

I’m in the “don’t” camp. Partly because I’ve yet to find a phone app that allows me to pre-determine the route I want to follow and partly because I’ve met one too many bod whose phone has been trashed by handlebar vibes...

The Garmin is indeed very good at running bespoke routes of several hundred miles.

The upshot OP is that, if you don’t want to run bespoke, possibly very detailed, long distance routes, that you have created yourself and don’t want the iWheel to control your GPS device, then your phone will work just fine *. Lots of bods do it that way, not least as it saves them the additional expense of buying (and learning) a Nav VI and / or getting to grips with its associated software, BaseCamp. Others do want to use the Nav VI fully and keep their phone for making calls, taking, saving and sharing pictures, acting as a diary, telling them the time, day and date, playing music, receiving and sending texts and / or emails, watching films, surfing the internet, engaging with UKGSer and playing games. Not least perhaps, they don’t want to worry about possible data usage, particularly abroad. Some will integrate their phone with the GPS device and the bike together. In short, it really is up to you. You’ll sell your Nav VI on eBay or on UKGSer, no problem or keep it for use on on 1600, assuming that is you are keeping the bike.

* Subject otherwise to the proviso that it won’t fail due to vibrations and / or overheat in the sun. Do either or both and you’ve lost your phone and your GPS device. So, be sure to take a map.

Back
Top Bottom