Best / reliable 1200

big twin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sold my last gs an 03 1150 40k on the clock about 8 years ago for 3.2k looks like prices have gone up currently own a hd fat boy however can’t help wanting another gs , always fancied a 1200 however the horror stories of bad reliability put me off looking at what’s available the 1200 looks appealing but is it a big gamble ,,,what year of 1200 was the least troublesome? TIA

As with all developed models the last tend to be the "best" ie bugs ironed out etc.
See if you can find a 2012 or so twin cam, or a 2017 LC.
You should be able to identify the TC as being similar to an 1150, whilst the LC has been described by some old lags on here as lacking in character.
BWDIK.:nenau

Sold my last gs an 03 1150 40k on the clock about 8 years ago for 3.2k looks like prices have gone up currently own a hd fat boy however can’t help wanting another gs , always fancied a 1200 however the horror stories of bad reliability put me off looking at what’s available the 1200 looks appealing but is it a big gamble ,,,what year of 1200 was the least troublesome? TIA
I have 13 plate 1200 twincam and have seen WC models also on 13 plate so 12/13 plates must be about the last of the twin cams .
They seem to be fairly reliable .

Based on budget...

I’d go 2008 - 10 single cam

Then for a little more 2010-13 Twin Cam.....

I’d avoid all LC bikes 2013 till about 2015 when the gremlins had been shaken out...

Me - I’d go TC all day long...

Having said that........I bought a Triumph 1200 Scrambler.......

I'd go for any oil cooled 1200 you can afford and you will get a lot of bike for your money.

All the bugs will have been ironed out by now and will be running fine. They are all very good bikes.

It will be interesting to know about all the alleged horror stories. The bikes did have a few issues in their early days but they are, and have been, generally very reliable.

I’d avoid all LC bikes 2013 till about 2015 when the gremlins had been shaken out...

My 2013 GS, (first of the LC), was without a shadow of a doubt, the worst bike I have ever owned !!

My 2013 GS, (first of the LC), was without a shadow of a doubt, the worst bike I have ever owned !!

As was my 2014 gsa LC an utter and complete sh*tter of a bike .

Best 1200's are a 2010 onwards TC models or a 2017 onwards LC, after BMW's Beta testers have given their input

Back
Top Bottom