XCountry Rescue Mission

nicholsonj2252

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As you may have seen a set of three XCountry's were recently advertised for sale on here a few weeks back which I duly stated an interest in

To cut a long story short only two ended up being sold and not to me :-(

However the opportunity then came along to buy the two bikes , which I did , selling one on immediately to another forum member

One was a 2007 bike the other a later model 2008 bike with the steel subframe and lower suspension

I kept the 2007 bike for my youngest lad and the deal in selling the 2008 bike was I would swap the steel frame over to the 2007 bike and also keep the H&B pannier rails

The bikes had sat outside under a tarpaulin unused since 2016 and the first job was to see if they would run - which thankfully both of them did with relative ease

So then on with rescue mission on the 2007 bike.......

As expected there were lots of corroded fasteners and I lost count of the number of snapped bolts I had to drill out or weld nuts on to extract

The swinging arm removal was particularly challenging but I got the better of it eventually

Here are some before , during and after pictures - lots of new/good used parts and about 70 hours work all told

The bike was completely stripped down and cleaned/inspected and any parts not salvageable were replaced

It has had a full service , new tyres , brake discs , modified clutch cover , water pump cover , exhaust manifold , chain & sprockets , brake calipers rebuilt

New head bearings , swinging arm bearings and seals , wheel bearings and seals, fuel filter

I've added some OEM crash bars , hand guards and frame and rectifier covers plus an OEM rear rack

I'm quite pleased at how well it looks , especially as it's had no paintwork done on it , it's all original

Before :

During :

After :

You have a passion for those 650's ... I think they are the best 'bike BMW (n)ever made :thumb

:beerjug:

Nice work John, as per usual, good to see these bikes being rescued.

That's turned out nice John.

Now, when you've got the time . . . . . . :D

Wow look great John...to your usual high standard.

Thanks for all the comments, bike sailed through its MOT today . It’s running great - a real pleasure to ride :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job to rescue these bikes.
I'm just curious ... On your modified G650X's I see the BMW logo in the
top under the steering clamps, where normally the big hex screw is fitted.
I assume you make them by yourself, but do you sell them as well ?

Hi John, as usual a brilliant job and thread and to see them come back to life.

Thanks to you and your sound advice I've managed to get mine tip top.

Only problem is that I just cant get used to it, after loving the GS. I'll keep trying but I may well let someone else out there enjoy it.

Keep the threads coming.

Ali

Back
Top Bottom