Heated Clothing

2 ways to wear them ,

long sleeved shirt , then heated jacket , fleece , jacket = this keeps you warm

l/s shirt , fleece, heated jacket , jacket = keeps cold out .

as ever , layers to trap air , and insulate you .

1st heated gear i had was Widder , no controller , worn over fleece ,against jacket , thought , hmm... not impressed , stopped for a fag , a sheet of ice fell off the front of my jacket. Widder was keeping cold out , not heating me.

Feck me, that’s serious.

I’ve ridden in -5% with a long sleeve base layer, keis heated jacket and my Kilm traverse jacket and on full it was too hot!

Warm and safe fanboy here too.

I was in an email exchange with the guy behind warmnsafe.co.uk a few weeks ago. He says he is no longer planning to import the stuff from USA and is just running down his stock. The only other seller of the stuff I can find in the uk is Motolegends. Who sorted me thevnew dual remote controller I was after.

I may have a size large Powerlet heated jacket to sell. Size Large. No controllers at all though. It’s the wife’s and she wants the warm n safe base layer as that’ll fit under her leather jackets as well under textiles.

For info the Powerlet branded stuff is identical to warm and safe gear, in fact I think it’s made by warm and safe but branded and marketed as Powerlet by um Powerlet.

Pity he’s finishing. I had excellent service from him over the years. Explains his low stock: had to use Motolegends for the last lot, and they price matched no probs. Another vote for W&S.

I'm a Gerbing man.

Have two jackets, one 10 years old still working perfectly, the other just a couple of years old (i was given it by a customer who retired, gave up riding a bike and moved to a warm country).

Have the variable heat controllers, one plug in power lead and and hard wired power supply on two of my bikes.

Gerbings clothing comes with a lifetime guarantee. GSer's used to get a discount, not sure if that still stands.

If you get the full kit you still only require one power source as all the kit plugs into each other leaving you with just the one lead attached to the bike.

The other advantage is the jacket can be worn as a normal jacket when off the bike.
I wear mine under my aerostich roadcrafter suit, on arrival at destination the "Stich" comes off and gets put in topbox/pannier, and i'm left looking normal with the Gerbing as an over jacket with no sign of being a motorcyclist walking around looking like an extra from a power ranger movie.

....and i'm left looking normal.....

The mind boggles.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mpJsHPM1KbU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What Nin said

I use ‘Warm n safe’

Tough as old boots, really nicely made and good quality. Excellent wireless controllers and the jacket/gloves combo works a treat. So even in the coldest weather I’m just two thin (cotton and thin merino jumper) layers and my heated jacket.

Never found the need for trousers and soles. If it’s that cold (sub zero) I aint riding!

Nin

From memory, Warm’n’Safe used to be quite bulky, padded kit with heated wires. Then, along came the so called, ‘Infra red’ method, making the jackets much thinner and better, with the wireless heat controllers. When I bought mine (having tripped over them by chance on Revzilla) the only place I could find the more modern versions was from the US, under the RapidFire brand, sold by Powerlet. Powerlet are now defunct, sadly.

Powerlet are not at all bulky, though they do have wires. The jackets sold by Powerlet were rebranded Warm'n'safe, I believe, and the Warm'n'safe definitely do have wireless controllers - maybe others do now as well.

There used to be some info on the warm and safe website about a dispute between Powerlet and WnS. IIRC WnS was making heated gear for Powerlet but Powerlet were marketing as if it was their own technology and product. I also think Powerlet had reverse engineered the heated gear and was getting some it manufactured in China - that might just been the remotes though. WnS applied for a cease and desist order or whatever and that was going though whatever legal
Process they have for that in USA. It all seems to have gone away now possibly linked to Powerlet’s demise.

This of course could all be bollocks but it’s how I remember it from about 6-8 years ago.

Powerlet don’t seem to get good reviews.

So they’ve gone bust anyway ?

Powerlet in America were the manufacturer / seller of lots of really good electrical connections for motorbikes, way better than anything available at the time in the UK. They sold the (very good) RapidFire branded so called 'infra red' (carbon sheets or whatever it is) heated gear. I have never had any problem with it or the heat controllers but maybe I am just lucky? Who copied who or why, I have no idea. All I know is that at the time (12 or more years ago) the Warm'n'Safe stuff available in the UK was much bulkier.

Anyway, it matters not as Udders (Mr Tent and Fishing Man) is buying Warm'n'Safe, which is what I will do if my RapidFire from Powerlet catches fire, explodes, electrocutes or some such similar catastrophe overcomes me whist honing awesomely.

Powerlet are not at all bulky, though they do have wires. The jackets sold by Powerlet were rebranded Warm'n'safe, I believe, and the Warm'n'safe definitely do have wireless controllers - maybe others do now as well.

I meant to say "warm'n'safe are not at all bulky."

The main importer into the EU for W&S was a guy based in Sweden.
He was very helpful in the past when I had jacket problems.

I’m afraid I’ve not had very good results from Sweden or WarmNsafe.
The Swedish guy sold me some lookalike gloves when I ordered genuine and they melted, nearly burned future Mrs Wobble’s dainty hands, got them swapped after I complained to W&S in USA and he said they were knockoffs.
The lifetime guarantee isn’t, and after a few years of use the trousers melted a hole in the outer, USA said no way was it warranty as it would be element or some lame excuse. Turned them inside out to see the harness was soldered badly in quite a few places, so re did it and they are OK, but TBH getting a burned leg has put me off them.
I had some W&S heated socks and they also burned one patch on the top of my foot.
Finally the heated troller wire came off just as it left the housing. Could have done with a strain relief boot. Prized it open and re soldered.
I’ve gone back to Ian at Gerbings, seems a decent enough chap for a triumph rider.

I have some Keis brand new gloves that keep cutting out, they say as using other gear on the bike, to p@ss off even though it has its own supply (why they insist on having buttons on the back of the gloves ail never know).

I must admit I have tried to buy some W&S stuff from Motoledgends this morning - unhelpful in the extream!

It anoys me that they promote this price match when they wont price match against ebay US.

Out of principle I wont be buying from them!!

Where will you be buying it from then, out of principle?

US distributors nearly £50 cheaper even taking into account customs and carrage. Its no where as easy as buying in the UK but I am a Scot so naturally tight

US distributors nearly £50 cheaper even taking into account customs and carrage. Its no where as easy as buying in the UK but I am a Scot so naturally tight

Hope it never goes wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It anoys me that they promote this price match when they wont price match against ebay US.

Before you go all balls in I can only assume you had a look at the Motoledgends T&T? eBay US? Yep sounds kosher :rolleyes:

Just for you, normally I couldn't give a shit. But you seem to be a special...

"What is the Motolegends 10% Price Beat guarantee?
Almost invariably, we sell goods at the manufacturers' recommended prices. But if you find an authorised dealer in the UK offering anything that we sell, for more than £5 less than our price, we'll beat that discounted price by a further 10%.

We will also beat prices that are reduced through the means of a loyalty bonus, even if that bonus can only technically be used against a future purchase. Similarly, we will, for the purposes of our Price Beat Guarantee, accept prices that are reduced by means of a special offer or internet voucher code.

Our only stipulation is that any such offers must be advertised and available to all. Privately negotiated deals and discounts will not apply. Also excluded from our Price Beat guarantee are discounts that are given to clubs and associations, and from which the general public are excluded.

If the retailer is in the EU, we will match the seller’s price, but not beat it. But we will only do European Price Matchs on items that have a sales price of greater than £150."

The man needs to make a living, or you work gratis?

Back
Top Bottom