USB Charger Outlet : What do you use ???

dcarvoss

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I am looking to install a USB charge point. I was thinking of leaving the virtually useless BMW outlet there 'just in case' therefore what have you used and where have you installed yours ??

Bike Info : R1200GS Adventure TE, 2015 ....

Interested in the feedback and what you've bought .... (I searched on the GS site for USB and nothing jumped out at me...)

cheers

Dan.

Have added an output with a direct battery connection and located in plastic panel, left side, under seat. I use this for the pump. The standard socket has a two port USB outlet and I use one for an old Drift Stealth camera set to constant record and the other goes to the phone charger (Quadlock Bluetooth)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34fa8b24648ace296842ed6cc17f8f20.jpg

5475aee2c6aca6db8d509a96a112bdf6.jpg

Quick Charge 3.0 USB Car Charger Socket 12V/24V 36W Dual QC3.0 USB Fast Charger Socket Power Outlet with Touch Switch for Marine, Boat, Motorcycle, Truck, Golf Cart (Blue) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZJ1P...abc_E80BW6W6ZRFBRXY9PW6K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty happy with this

Gooner #4 image suggests the charger skt goes straight across the battery with no switch, so presumably these devices only draw current when yr phone / satnav / dildo is plugged in otherwise surely it would drain the bike's battery over winter or whatever (but bike is 12v and outlet is 5v so maybe a transformer is always running)??

I used to use the nippy Norman dual usb combined with the nippy Norman din socket relocation. Best of both worlds and you would never know they are not original and worked really well.Both sat in my garage as no longer used now I have a 1250 could sell them if you like that set up..

Yes, the dc-dc converter inside will be running continuously unless it has a built in switch or you switch it externally.

I have my USB outlets (and satnav etc) powered via a relay that’s driven from the factory 12v outlet so it’s all disconnected 30 seconds or so after key-off to spare the battery.

Gooner #4 image suggests the charger skt goes straight across the battery with no switch, so presumably these devices only draw current when yr phone / satnav / dildo is plugged in otherwise surely it would drain the bike's battery over winter or whatever (but bike is 12v and outlet is 5v so maybe a transformer is always running)??

A phone / camera left connected can drain a motorbike battery overnight, let alone over the winter.

Some devices, some cradles for example, are seen by the canbus system as being needed to be powered - rather like the bike’s clock - even when the gps device is not present. It’s rare but it’s not entirely unknown, made worse when some bods wire their devices in badly.

Hi Aggers, what is the Din socket relocation ? does this then allow for the BMW socket to be kept ?

more info would be great please ? I have the dual USB thingy coming in the post, but if I can keep both..... then why not !

Hi Aggers, what is the Din socket relocation ? does this then allow for the BMW socket to be kept ?

more info would be great please ? I have the dual USB thingy coming in the post, but if I can keep both..... then why not !

Now you have a socket on the way, get yourself one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charging-Braided-Reversible-Charger-Connector/dp/B07NV6VRK9

Virtually un breakable, and as far as I know, waterproof. The one above is for an iPhone, they will no doubt have them for android phones. I now use them in the house too, as the plug doesn’t get as hot as the Apple ones. 18” long, perfect length for using on the bike.
Cheers
Dave

It's wired via a relay - only supplies power to the USB if ignition is turned on. Across battery direct and it would drain it down I suspect

EDIT: As others have helpfully pointed out already. I really should read all replies first :D

Back
Top Bottom