Exhaust header pipes thread knackered

Smudge

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Whilst stripping down my (new to me), r100gs, I discovered that a previous owner had butchered the offside header threads. :blast
They had actually left the solid ring out of the joint to allow half a thread to secure the pipe. :confused::confused:
I think I can get away with a new nut and running a die down the cylinder head threads ... but, I cant find a die anywhere ... (Except germany for £70) :eek:

Cheeky I know, but, anybody out there got a die I can borrow for an hour, or let me know where I can hire/buy one :thumb:beerjug:

If no luck on here then the BMW club may have...means joining but much less than buying.

If no luck on here then the BMW club may have...means joining but much less than buying.

cheers mate ... i will give it a couple of days then give them a try .. many thanks :beerjug:

Recently I had a game with the 2 clamp rings that the exhaust nut captures when screwing onto the head. There are 2 thicknesses of the split ring available. One looks triangular in section (the thin one) the other has 1-2mm more on it. Also there are 2 diameters available. So if you have a 'thick' version, you could swap to a thin. That may help a lot. I might have what you need (I have a big bag of them).

I’ve got a die nut you could try,but remember you can’t put metal back on.,
If the thing is sealing and secure best to wait till autumn and do it then,
Richie moore does mine ,proper ,proper job.
Obviously head needs to come off

Many thanks for your replies gents, much appreciated :thumby:

Colin .... I did see these two alternatives, but I would rather keep the old boy naturel. :beerjug:

Gelandestrasse ... Noted, I will get back to you if needed, I didn't realise they came in different thicknesses :beerjug:

Mikeyboy ... thanks mate, I will drop you a pm re. the die over the weekend, may blag some info. on Richie too in case he is needed :D

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer advise/solutions.
I am going to button it up 'as is' and sort the problem out come next winter as per Mikey's advice :beerjug:

I’ve got a set of thread files you can use to dress any damage away if you want to give it a try. PM me an address and I’ll bung them in the post and you return them when you’re done. You don’t have to join a club to use them :D

I’ve got a set of thread files you can use to dress any damage away if you want to give it a try. PM me an address and I’ll bung them in the post and you return them when you’re done. You don’t have to join a club to use them :D

cheers Andy ... I am leaving well alone for the time being mate, but thanks very much for the offer :thumb2

Another option if you choose to have a machined repair is Seager Engineering.

http://www.seager-engineering.com/

I’ve used them after recommendations from friends and they’re very good but whether they do work on airheads I don’t know.

This is how i repair mine :thumby:
Works a treat

Attachments

• ex1 [1600x1200].jpg
    ex1 [1600x1200].jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 126
  • ex2 [1600x1200].jpg
    ex2 [1600x1200].jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 125
  • ex3 [1600x1200].JPG
    ex3 [1600x1200].JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 126
  • ex4 [1600x1200].jpg
    ex4 [1600x1200].jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 125
As I mentioned in my PM,
This little beauty is a M45 x2, fits EHP thread R50 and ? R75
But as previous mentioned, you need enough material to cut into...
Any good ??

Attachments

• B9D64E8D-71E9-4F51-A89B-BE35F967AAA4.jpg
    B9D64E8D-71E9-4F51-A89B-BE35F967AAA4.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 111
As I mentioned in my PM,
This little beauty is a M45 x2, fits EHP thread R50 and ? R75
But as previous mentioned, you need enough material to cut into...
Any good ??

Cheers Albatross ... I may well get back to you come the winter, I have quite a few options now :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom