What is the definitive answer

Sungaets

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dean in Shetland here,
I have owned my 07 xcountry for four years now, had the odd bit of bother but nothing like I am having now. Seems my bike has caught the dreaded xcountry virus of not wanting to start, especially just after a short distance. It has been reluctant to keep running from cold and runs lumpy at low revs. The main problem is this just not starting after a short run, it has come that I am slowly wanting to be rid of it. For all that it is a great bike on and off road. The bike has been laid up for the winter.
Can anyone help please.
Dean.

My money would be on the Idle Control Valve being either dirty or faulty

Have you got access to a GS-911 to read the fault codes and also do an adaption re-set which will re-set the ICV

You can also try a manual re-set of the ICV by turning on the ignition waiting until all the lights settle down , turn the throttle twist grip to fully open thgree times , turn ignition off , wait 10 seconds then try starting it

Hi Dean .... my Xcountry always starts on the button, but will not start after a short run, always been like it.
Fitted a new high power MotoBatt battery and seems to have cured the problem .... but with that bob weight on the exhaust cam the engine has to spin over very quickly before she'll fire up.

Poor running ... well known that a baffle towards the rear of the exhaust comes loose and blocks the system. A simple hysterectomy cures it :D

Good luck ... great bikes :thumb

:beerjug:

Sue's Xcountry one of three 'bikes I've known that have had the offending baffle removed :eek:

i-8ncc3BW-L.jpg

Hi Dean .... my Xcountry always starts on the button, but will not start after a short run, always been like it.
Fitted a new high power MotoBat battery and seems to have cured the problem .... but with that bob weight on the exhaust cam the engine has to spin over very quickly before she'll fire up.

Poor running ... well known that a baffle towards the rear of the exhaust comes loose and blocks the system. A simple hysterectomy cures it :D

Good luck ... great bikes :thumb

Agree with Micky that they need a strong battery , I also use the Motobatt batteries

If you still have the OEM exhaust fitted you can normally hear if the baffle is loose as it resonates

I have tried to do the throttle reset John, I also have a new battery fitted. I have not yet cleaned the throttle actuator. My wife had an 09 xcountry with a dropped baffle, I did a cat removal and baffle removal , helped the bike but made the exhaust a bit more tinny sounding. I had a Remus fitted but have gone back to the standard one as the Remus was just too noisy. With the standard exhaust there is no holding back of the bike, it accelerates well and can top 90mph. This afternoon I rode from my work to a local shop five minutes away, bought a tin of paint , engined turned over but would not fire. It seems like there is not enough battery power , the battery can hold up for several attempts.
I plan to check the actuator.
Thanks for your replies much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom